Bass players seem to spend more on instruments than six stringers...

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Take your point @fretmeister but it does not feel right placing it in the Bass section. Where it is now.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I've had a cheap ibanez bass and a squier 5 string. Thought they were alright, then I got a stingray 5 and i can see why you'd want to spend £1000 on it.
    I actually swapped that for a mayones 6 string fretless that I found in a cash converters. Couldn't play it at all but even then I could tell it was really high quality.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    Bass players do in general seem less driven by fashion and the 'need' to 'nail' an exact sound/vibe/look/whatever than guitar players. With very few exceptions you can cover any bass gig that requires only fretted bass (or only fretless) with one instrument and you're unlikely to ever be criticised for using the 'wrong sound'. It's definitely unusual to see a bass player take more than a couple of basses to a gig - and very often only one - where the guitar player in the band will frequently have three or four.

Whether that means bassists spend more on an individual bass because they can - not thinking they need so many - or that companies charge more because they're not under such price pressure, I don't know. There are also very good basses that are surprisingly cheap too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    As an aside, first bass gig in, um, 20ish years is on May 27th. I'll let you know how the MIM 50's Classic performs...
    I want a Review!
    I'll post up some thoughts and pics in a new thread in the Bass section when I get chance
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Whilst there's definitely some truth in the "bassists like one good bass instead of 10 alright ones" I also wouldn't read too much into the basschat marketplace. It's become known as a place to sell high end stuff, so that's what it attracts. Doesn't mean bassists don't use cheap gear too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Nah but seriously... a lot of cheap basses are utter tosh. It's something you learn after going through 4 or 5 Cort Action bass guitars .... should've bought myself a Stingray in the first place!!!
    I'd actually disagree with this.  Some very nice £200-300 basses. 

Spend 300 cabbage wisely on a second hand bass, and you'll have a great bass

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Whilst there's definitely some truth in the "bassists like one good bass instead of 10 alright ones" I also wouldn't read too much into the basschat marketplace. It's become known as a place to sell high end stuff, so that's what it attracts. Doesn't mean bassists don't use cheap gear too. 
    You also have to pay to advertise on Basschat which presumably reduces the flow of what appears on there. 

I've certainly known bassists use cheap gear, or relatively cheap gear. The bassist in my old band had used some pretty expensive kit in the past (playing in Butlins backing bands)but he'd settled on a Squire. Set up how he liked he felt it was as good as his old expensive basses. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    You also have to pay to advertise on Basschat which presumably reduces the flow of what appears on there. 

Where do people advertise the not quite so expensive stuff?
    crunchman said:

Where do people advertise the not quite so expensive stuff?
    Gumtree/fleabay/Facebook/here..
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    As with guitars people get too hung up on the brand of bass guitars. That's fine, some are made from some gorgeous bits of wood and the craftsmanship on the dearer one's can be sublime

As a tool though many cheap basses are fine. A couple of my friends are session bass players and generally just use standard Fender jazz or precisions. My own stepson is starting to make money as a session  bass player  and all he uses is a Squire Jazz which cost me £225

Now double bass, well you can spend some serious money there!
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71958
    Danny1969 said:

Now double bass, well you can spend some serious money there!
    You can spend more than the cost of that Squier on a set of double bass *strings*...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23940
    A set of Pirastro strings can be over £600

And a new hand carved Martin DB is about £100,000
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Bassist seem to be a lot less hung up on traditional designs, there have been some radical and innovative Bass designs recently, probably because there is a more  readily available and less hidebound market
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    edited April 2017
    I have noticed for the last few years on Basschat that there is a lot more European sellers than used to be and they are all selling higher end basses.  Market for these instruments is always going to less than the low to mid priced basses so having a broad platform (language is English) seems to be why there are more expensive basses there than before.

As for instruments and traditions I notice the same trend I have noticed on this forum.  Most players seem to use either P or J basses in some form so its not like we bassists are more open minded.  Also if you look at the sale forum its mostly these basses for sale in general like its on here.  I would guess around 80% of guitars here are Fender, Gibson and PRS and then add Suhr and Tom Anderson.  

As for using one bass yes I can agree to that.  I studied jazz for years so you wanted to have an instrument that was very versatile being able to do walking bass lines, do chords and solo both up high to replicate different instruments (sax etc.) and lower end so I wanted one bass to cover all.  So to me 5 string was essential and later I got the same model in 6 string fretless and that was all I ever needed.  I later added another 5 string to have as a backup and not just backup but also to give variations to a sound palate I already have.  When gigging I want to travel light so my rig reflects that plus the reliability of my basses so I often take just one bass to a gig and up until now it has never failed.

My approach to guitar is totally different.  I play music on bass but rock out on guitar so I just want a superstrat and distortion pedal so I am not fussy but I have also started enjoying experimenting with pickups and I do not want to mess about with my basses so I do that on guitars as well.

Sorry for the long rant but I just wanted to add that yes I was fortunate enough to be able to buy the bass that I saw fit for me (got it cheap in 1997) but I could just as well play anything and enjoy music just as much on an entry level 4 string bass.  For me its all about enjoying playing and making music so the instrument is just a vehicle for me to be able to take part.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Unaccompanied bass soloists are a rarity.

The majority of bassists, doing paid work, need something that fulfils a function within an ensemble situation. For the most part, this function confines the bass instrument to a limited range of frequencies. Excessive upper frequency information is easy enough to generate from a bass guitar but it detracts from the function. 

Much of the sonic variety required for a bass instrument can be achieved through either multiple pickups or active equalisation. Thus, one well-specified instrument will probably handle an entire set. 

There is also a personality difference between bassists and guitarists. One sub-species seems inclined to obsess about things far more than the other. (Face it, duckie. The average audience member neither knows nor cares whether your fingerboard is Brazilian Rosewood, Macassar Ebony or IKEA ply.) The advantage of playing both guitar and bass guitar is that I know the sort of bass line by which my guitar would prefer to be supported.

The bottom line - pun intended - is that bass is aimed at yo' ass. It is the element in the overall band arrangement that makes you want to dance. 
    Be seeing you.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    Basses are more likely than guitars to have complex active electronics, eg onboard preamps and eq, which must push the average price up - though of course many of the most popular bass models are passive
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

I've been fortunate to meet two proper bassists recently. Couldn't be more different people/musically. Yet it was really apparent that their thought processes are totally alien to guitarists.

First time I met the one guy, we ate lunch and had coffee for over an hour and we didn't talk about gear *at all*. :scream:

Can you imagine that happening with a guitarist?

I read guitar mags on the train. Occasionally passing guitarists notice and have short conversations with me. They always tell me "what they have". One guy started listing his immense collection of amps, his gaff must look like JoBo's!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    There is a popular opinion that a good football referee should be invisible. i.e. They only get noticed when they make mistakes. Playing bass is kinda the same.
    Be seeing you.
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    And nobody dances to lead guitar
    bassbora said:
    And nobody dances to lead guitar
    Old blues rocker pub dad does.