TI flatwounds

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Just got a set of these and put them on the new 64 P 

They are lighter gauge than Chromes, and they really do feel like rubber bands on it!

But man, do they sound so cool... so so cool. 

I have string love.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    First time you try 'em is amazing. Overall I'm more in the Labella/Pyramid camp as Thomastiks have a certain contemporary mid/upper-mid parpiness that doesn't work for some of the stuff I do, but they are rather delicious and definitely addictive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    KKJale said:
    First time you try 'em is amazing. Overall I'm more in the Labella/Pyramid camp as Thomastiks have a certain contemporary mid/upper-mid parpiness that doesn't work for some of the stuff I do, but they are rather delicious and definitely addictive.
    I'm amazed to be honest. Tone all the way up and they sound a bit like old round wounds. Tone down a bit and they sound like flats on speed. Tone all the way down and they are like an old Soul vinyl album... So much variation.

I'm keeping them on and letting them wear in. I presume they will only get better...

They don't half complement a P as well. Phew. I've put some rounds on my '74 P now as well and the contrast is just incredible. Still got Chromes on the Stingray, but wondering whether I should try something different on this now as well. 

I'm definitely liking the 64 with TI's and the 74 with Rounds. Trad vs Modern. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23947
    It's not unknown to get 10 years out of a set. Depending on how acidic your fingers are.
    It's not unknown to get 10 years out of a set. Depending on how acidic your fingers are.
    I have no clue as to my acidity quantity! I'll let you know in 10 years!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Pino Palladino plays these on his standard tuned P 

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    How's the string to string balance (in terms of  timbre rather than volume?)
    On the flatwound sets I've tried, there is a huge difference going across the fretboard, with the low strings being really warm and thumpy and the G being really zingy and metallic, almost like a roundwound.
    Jeremiah said:
    How's the string to string balance (in terms of  timbre rather than volume?)
    On the flatwound sets I've tried, there is a huge difference going across the fretboard, with the low strings being really warm and thumpy and the G being really zingy and metallic, almost like a roundwound.
    I guess it depends on the pickup(s) you have as well, but the TIs are proving to be well balanced on the 64 P.

There is a change in timbre across each string, but it is still balanced tho - the G isn't particularly zingy and does still have warmth.

TIs are a bit odd for flatwounds - with the tone all the way up they are quite a bit like old dull roundwounds - dial the tone down a quarter turn and they are more flatwound.. 
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    I have a new set of TI's that I've had for months now......too expensive to use and enjoying my Status flats too much. Chromes had too much tension and Fender flats were a disappointment...
    Koa said:
    I have a new set of TI's that I've had for months now......too expensive to use and enjoying my Status flats too much. Chromes had too much tension and Fender flats were a disappointment...
    Too expensive to use?

Stick them on. You can always put the status flatwounds back on, and come back to them or flog them on as a used set and get a chunk of your money back?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You're quite right of course  :)
    I got a set of the new La Bella low tension flats today - I will have to compare and contrast at some point - not sure what to try them on first tho!
    Well I took the plunge,opened the pack and strung up my Jazz with TI flats. They seem to be around £50 a set now post Brexit, can't recall what I paid but it was a lot. However I really like them, nice feel, I like the tension more than Chromes, still a bit bright compared to Status flats but overall very pleased. I've never tried LaBellas, how do they compare?
  • ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 107
    edited April 2017
    I find LaBella have more warmth, but with my fingers and style that makes them too dull for me unfortunately. Good String though, just more traditional than TI's. 

TI's are great, the zing and top end will wear off a little and they mellow nicely. 

After years of using TI's I've moved onto Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. Well worth a try if/when you fancy a change. They are great as a modern flatwound, but of course not as a traditional one. 
    I've sort of settled on a combination of TIs and Chromes.

The Chromes really suit my P basses - the TIs are great and I don't mind the tension and the sound, but there's just something about Chromes I keep going back to. 

I seem to flip flop between them!