Rotosound Swing 66 vs regular?

What's Hot
MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
edited April 2017 in Bass
I've always been a loyal user of Rotosound Swing 66 strings (the orange 105s), but I notice that they do a 'normal' 45-105 range in a purple packet for much less cost. Does anyone have any real insight as to what the difference is, and whether the Swing 66s are worth £22 a set when the normal ones are £15 (edit: £11.49 on Amazon)? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited April 2017
    Are you talking about this set https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotosound-Nickel-Standard-Roundwound-Strings/dp/B0002GO3SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492782292&sr=8-1&keywords=rotosound+105

vs this set? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/7f7/Rotosound-Stainless-Steel-Standard-Roundwound-Bass-Strings/B00V50SKCE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1492782292&sr=8-5&keywords=rotosound+105

If so the orange ones are stainless steel and the the pinky/purple ones are nickel wound.  They'll sound different but I've only tried the stainless swing bass set.  In general steel strings are a bit brighter and more scooped in the mids but it really does vary by brand - I've done an a/b of daddario pro steels to rotosound swing bass steels and it was really quite a difference despite both being stainless steel strings.

If you search nickel vs stainless steel strings on a bass forum such as basschat.co.uk or talkbass.com you'll probably be able to find some useful discussions 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    edited April 2017
    I much prefer the cheap 'Roto Bass' regardless of the price. They sound better to begin with and don't die quickly like the Swing Bass do.

(Edit) I also forgot to say they don't feel like playing a file either, so they're probably less hard on your frets too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM have you tried Daddario Pro Steels?  They sound quite different but the feel is a lot smoother IMO.  They're also a bit more flexible at the same gauge which is nice to play.  I've only ever bought a single set of swing 66 steels but have had multiple Pro Steels, and I reckon the Pro Steels hold their brightness longer so work out cheaper over time.  The steel swingbass set are the most abrasive feeling strings I've played, but you get used to it quickly
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    No, never tried the Pro Steels - I'm not a fan of steel strings in general. I have to admit I've always hated the feel of Swing Bass - I'm amazed it was that bit I forgot and added later ;). They do die very quickly, so I'm not surprised anything else lasts longer...

I like the Roto Bass so much they're what I have on my 4001 at the moment - was going to get a set of DR Nickel Lo-Riders but the shop had run out so I tried the Rotos as a cheap stop-gap... and still haven't bought any more DRs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24184
    I love Pro Steels. My favourite string in the universe. Bit bright out of the packet but settle down nicely after a couple of hours.
  • Pro Steels were a big help with getting the kind of clarity out of a low B I wanted.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I'm considering trying the Swing set. I have the regular Rotos, but think I preferred the set that came on the SquierJazz. 

I'll probably end up using D'Addario in the end as its what I've used on guitar for over 25 years