Getting from 85% to 100% ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 274
    @CarpeDiem ;

I'll try to give it a bit more time, but like I say, I'm trying a couple of other phrases/licks as well at 5 mins(sometimes it may be 7 or 8 mins) each and when you add up the inbetween bits it adds up to more like 25 - 30 mins(out of 1 hour or so). I have to commit some time to other things as well or it's all work and no play as they say, but I always make good use of my time time in whatever context.

I'm not really finding that above section challenging (only at full speed), I can play it cleanly at 90% or a tad over. So I suppose there has been some progress. The 85% when I first wrote the thread was a bit over optimistic, it was more like 80% :)
    I think you're right to keep your practice routine varied, and also wanting it to be fun. Since you've already got from 80% to 90%, I'd suggest keeping this in your routine every time you play to see how close to 100% you get by continuing to limit the time you spend. Depending on how far you get, you may want to reconsider your priorities, say spending more time on this and dropping another phrase/lick. I've read that some of the top players would typically spend 10 hours plus a day learning, and this is when they were in their formative years. I guess this puts the learning challenges that most of us face into perspective!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    edited April 2017
    Having listened to the isolated guitar track for Rosanna (3:13 in clip one at the end of this post), I think Steve Lukather might be playing the following. It's possible the first G to A could be a slide up.

It's what I notated in an earlier post, except the Ab is on the 2nd string instead of the 3rd string.

But having looked at live clips of Toto (for example 3:24 in clip 2 at the end of this post) I think Steve Lukather might play the following, which is slightly different to the album version:

I think I might stick with my original approach because it's more resilient for me (i.e. less prone to error).

I agree with what's been touched on earlier in the thread, that different approaches work for different players and it's good to experiment with different approaches to find one that works, even if it might be a bit different to how it was originally played. 

Btw: Steve Lukather is one of my favourite guitar players.

Clip 1 - isolated guitar track ( solo at 3:13)

Clip 2 - Toto Live ( solo at 3:24)

It's not a competition.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
    Thanks for that @stratman3142 I'll get round to studying that, would have responded earlier but mental busy with rehearsals last night.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    I find that the barrier with that final 10-15% speed is with my hearing. I can't hear smth as fast in my head. 
    The more I listen to it the better it gets so playing slowly focusing on listening rather than finger movements may help.
    It will come out when it is ready. The fingers will do their bit once the brain knows what that is..

For me anyway, good luck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
    Catthan said:
    I find that the barrier with that final 10-15% speed is with my hearing. I can't hear smth as fast in my head. 
    The more I listen to it the better it gets so playing slowly focusing on listening rather than finger movements may help.
    It will come out when it is ready. The fingers will do their bit once the brain knows what that is..

For me anyway, good luck

Totally agree, I tend to be good at listening for the notes, but there are other nuances that can be picked up. It is probably wise to give as much time to listening to the timing etc.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    I find that I need to learn the solo / riff as a melody that I can sing in my head otherwise I dont really know what I am trying to play. Once I do this timing and speed is a little easier. The only problem with this is that I am then sinnging the part using "do dahs, wahs and bum-chick-a-wah-wahs" which is very silly.
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.