Bass playing is hard on my back, anyone have a solution?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    @Rocker ; I know people are suggesting lighter basses and that's what I would do but to answer your question I remember seeing Tom Araya talking about just the thing you first mentioned in your OP.  If you watch the rig rundown for slayer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlvaYmvyDmk and go in around 14:30 he talks about having a belt around him and hook the bass on that.  Check it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Mentioned the Club Bass earlier. There's been one on sale here for a while. It's the modern style model with a solid centre block which gives (apparently) more modern tones. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/86266/
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    The mock up revealed a lot.  70 cm is way too high for me, something around 60 cm suits me better.  And with both feet on the floor and a shortened strap, the bass 'moved' closer to my ribcage.  A more comfortable playing position.  A half hour playing showed no ill effects.  I then 'modified' my drum stool/seat to the new height.  Now I have to wait until the next music evening with my friends so that I can try out the modified seat.  As someone suggested, this means playing bass while sitting.  Fine by me, just more kit to move.  A benefit, alluded to by @Bridgehouse, the slightly different position of the bass makes it easier to position my thumb behind the neck.  A few hours practice and that new position will become permanent.

Thanks to you all, I will update after the next music evening.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited April 2017

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    @Rocker - I had back pain first time I played for an extended period of time stood up - the thumb position and strap height both alleviated it considerably..
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    @Gassage, I have a medical problem that restricts my standing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23930
    Strap length is a little thought about issue.

It might not look as cool to have the bass higher up, but it can make a lot of difference.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021

It might not look as cool to have the bass higher up, but it can make a lot of difference.
    Helps relieve neck dive too. Not sure why, but it solved the problem with an SG bass.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 359

Yeah, it totally knackers my right shoulder if I have my bass up high, need the strings at the end of my right arm or I'm in agony.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Guitar with an octave pedal do?
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    A nice wee medium scale number is surely ideal. They work alot better as a bass than you might think, and it's not cheating. Not sure why any other option would be 3ven considered.  
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    +1 for all of the comments about not slinging the bass guitar excessively low on a strap. It is a musical instrument not a penis extension.

Former Guitarist magazine editor, David Mead, always recommended finding a comfortable seated position with your chosen instrument. Adjust the strap so that the instrument remains against the same part of your abdomen, regardless of whether you are seated or standing.
    Be seeing you.