ACS 17 or 20

What's Hot
AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
edited July 2016 in Live
Hi all,

The band I play in has recently found a drummer, I play guitar.  My ears have been ringing for days since first rehearsal on Monday.  Ooft.

Been reading a lot about ACS earplugs on this forum.  Does anybody have any experience of ACS 17 and 20's?

It's a blues/country band I play in, we're not that loud to be fair.  But based on Mondays experience I need summin pronto lol.

Any input would be appreciated.

ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Pro 17s should do you fine.

I use their older design filters (the ER range which were replaced by the Pro).

Best bit of kit I've bought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219

Cheers! 

Is the whole mix the same-ish just quieter?
    AndyJP said:

Cheers! 

Is the whole mix the same-ish just quieter?
    That's the idea, but while they're almost there you do notice a bit of different roll-offs for certain frequencies (check out the graphs on the ACS website)....but you get used to it and having ringing in your ears after a rehearsal is a really big warning sign that you're doing damage.

Be aware that it'll take weeks to get a pair of custom moulds. You make an appointment to get the impressions taken, it's then a wait until they're ready.

Ok, ta for the heads up on the lead time.

Did you bother with the cords?  guess it's to stop you losing them?
    AndyJP said:
    Ok, ta for the heads up on the lead time.

Did you bother with the cords?  guess it's to stop you losing them?
    No, mine are just the plugs, plus the little carry case that came with them. I've worn them for every gig I've played (and attended) for years now....wish I'd got them years earlier as I do have tinnitus and I'm rubbish in noisy places with lots of background noise, so I really don't want it getting any worse. 
    You've convinced me!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    I would say get some ASAP. I went the whole way and got 25s. @not_the_dj is right in that they take a little getting used to and they are not completely flat in their attenuation. The method is to dial in at soundcheck, check the EQ without them, for as little time as possible then then put them in for the rest of the rehearsal/gig. Then RESIST the temptation to tweak once you have them in. I find I lose a little treble with mine and gain a little bass. If you tweak to compensate you're going to slice someone's head off. However, they're infinitely better than temporary foam plugs.

If I lost all my gear and had to start again, I would get new ACS plugs before I got a new guitar and new amp. I never go to other bands' gigs or play my own gigs without them. Your hearing is too valuable.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

ACS ER20 user here (the generic ones not custom)

Tremendous things they really are. Before using them at rehearsals and gigs I had the ringing in ear and the general feeling that I'd been run over by a truck after each loud gig. Now the whole experience is a lot more relaxing -albeit a bit strange to start with as its not natural to stand being blasted by the evil trinity of monitor speaker, guitar and drumkit and not be deafened.

As vasselmayer mentioned above a decent soundcheck is essential but I do find I pop them out every now and again just to check the levels are still OK as the band gets into the flow of things in the evening.

I find the frequency cuts OK - I sing a bit of backing vocals and can pitch myself OK

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    We have a very noisy drummer.  Rehearsals are worse than gigs because of the confined space.

I also use the generic ER20s - does take a bit of getting used to, but definitely worth it (also take them when going to see a band)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004SBSOKK/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Consensus of most other sound techs I knkw is that the 17s have the flattest response, so they're the popular choice for guys who are mixing live, but that's probably less important in your case than the protection element, where I'd just go for the highest level of attenuation you can grab.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    generic er20s here too. only reason im not deaf.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I had the 17's couldn't get on with them.  could hardly hear the guitar.   I  Went down to 10's and thats a lot better although I still don't wear them as much as I probably should.

• I might get a second pair as spare to leave in the car. Always gutted if I go to a gig and forget them. 
    Might go down one step to see if it opens the sound up more.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I lost my ACS Pro 17s at a Gig last week too wasted....

I want to get new impressions done considering 15s or 17s ? Difference between the two? 

Any offers / best way to buy I recall getting £20 off somehow last time thanks in advance 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    I use ACS 17 Pro and don't have any ringing after band sessions. I have the corded version, which makes it easy to take them out but not lose them. I bought direct from ACS, who keep a copy of your ear impressions (handy if you lose them), who said they would change the insert if I needed a different strength one (check their website as to current practice). I've also got ER20's, which are good but not effective enough for our band levels. I've no connection with ACS, just think they make good products.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'd go for the Read Audio 15's... haven't used my ACS 17's since getting the Read's - much more comfortable and many times better sound quality.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 823
    I use ACS Pro 15's they work a treat!