Incoming: New cheapie

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    ICBM said:
    I hope it's better than the one I tried :(.

That said, for £200 it can't be too bad...
    It was a punt. Might be terrible, might be amazing. At £200 I figure I won't really lose out if it is terrible..
    The one I played wasn't terrible at all - it's just that for all the claims about the fancy resonant body, it was an entirely ordinary and totally characterless modern bass. The flashy electrics do nothing special, it's just a Jazz Bass set-up… and there's no light on the tone control, which is poor. And the odd lines - the one from the end of the pickup to the side of the body particularly - just made it look like it had a bad finish crack.

Basically it just seemed to be a collection of marketing gimmicks attached to an extremely conventional instrument. But a perfectly playable, decent-ish sounding one for the money, certainly.

I was really hoping you'd bought a Flying Samurai when you said Yamaha :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    I hope it's better than the one I tried :(.

That said, for £200 it can't be too bad...
    It was a punt. Might be terrible, might be amazing. At £200 I figure I won't really lose out if it is terrible..
    The one I played wasn't terrible at all - it's just that for all the claims about the fancy resonant body, it was an entirely ordinary and totally characterless modern bass. The flashy electrics do nothing special, it's just a Jazz Bass set-up… and there's no light on the tone control, which is poor. And the odd lines - the one from the end of the pickup to the side of the body particularly - just made it look like it had a bad finish crack.

Basically it just seemed to be a collection of marketing gimmicks attached to an extremely conventional instrument. But a perfectly playable, decent-ish sounding one for the money, certainly.

I was really hoping you'd bought a Flying Samurai when you said Yamaha :).
    It was one of those "want something cheap, lightweight and jazz bassy" things - came along at the right price. 

Apparently string choice makes a big difference with these so we shall see!

I still have an ambition to be the @HarrySeven of the bass world and we all have to start somewhere. Flying Samurai is on the list ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404

I still have an ambition to be the HarrySeven of the bass world
    Steady on. I know HarrySeven. (Well enough to have been allowed to peek inside one of his gear warehouses.) Not that many bass guitars in there, folks. ;o)

Back on topic ...

My stock recommendation for an inexpensive Yamaha bass guitar is the long-discontinued Attitude Plus. Buy an unloved example cheaply enough, feed it a Gotoh 201B bridge, an American pickup and a stacked-knob active tone control and string with 040-095 gauge roundwounds. (There is room for a PP3 in the control cavity.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.