Sterling Sub 5 Bass

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Rocker said:
    I never heard of Marcus Miller before - a bass with his signature may not be the sound I am looking for.  And there again it just might.
    You probably have heard the sound of Marcus Miller without realising it. Just about every Roland digital synthesizer of the last thirty years has employed a slap bass preset rooted in the Spectrasonics Bass Legends sample library. That preset is Marcus on his Sadowsky-modified Fender Jazz Bass.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Off to Dublin on Saturday to further my research! I want to find out the difference between a Precision bass and a Jazz. And try a few Squiers. From the music I listen to, Fender (and Squire) bass sounds are what I like best.  And I am conservative regarding body shape. Headstocks are not an issue for me. The Fender Precision and Jazz  body shape looks 'right' to my eyes. My Aria is that general shape and it looks vaguely Fendery.

My choice may come down to a choice between Squire and MIM Fender. The Fender is more expensive but if it is right for me, nothing else will do. And I am thinking long term. Bass is now important to me, I bought the Aria cheaply to see what a bass does in a band context. Now that I have got that question answered, I want to progress with my playing. Or to sound as good as I can ever be.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    @Rocker You might want to have a look at this

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/304081-musicman-usa-sub5-immaculate-l550-inc-uk-mainland-delivery/

You'll have to ask him how much it weighs, but they are the proper USA Sub models. Very nice instruments i it is in your budget.

Rocker said:
    I want to find out the difference between a Precision bass and a Jazz. 

My choice may come down to a choice between Squier and MIM Fender. The Fender is more expensive but if it is right for me, nothing else will do. 
    P and J basses hang differently on a strap. Their fingerboards and string spacings are (usually) of different widths. One fat pickup makes for less sonic variety than two skinny ones BUT, if that one sound happens to be the right one, you can get right down to concentrating on your playing. 

The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is a consistently good instrument. It should play nicely straight out of the box. Compared to a Mexican Fender, there will be evidence of cost-cutting but nothing bad enough to negate the price difference. The money saved at time of initial purchase could be invested into pickup and hardware upgrades at a later date.

Whichever brand you choose, try as many examples of it as you can before settling on the one to buy. Wood varies. It is possible to stumble across fabulous cheapo bargains and Custom Shop dawgs. 

Money-wise, if you can stretch to a brand new Mexican Fender bass, you are not far short of affording a pre-owned American one.
    Be seeing you.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    For me, the main difference between the P and the J is that I hate J's and absolutely love P's.

I have a Stingray, which is brilliant, but for me a bit fat n' heavy, and 3 P's. 

I bought a 1974 in olympic white which I loved so much that I went the whole hog and got a 1964 in sunburst. So good is it, that I got a classic 50's MIM to use for more risky gigging to save the '64.

The MIM classic 50's is stunning for the money.

In an attempt to get out of my 'keep buying more P's' trap, I've got an oddball Yamaha with J pickup configuration to see what happens.. the smart money is on me swapping it for another P... *sigh*
    Bridgehouse has a point. The Precision sound could be summarised as the bass, the whole bass and nothing but the bass. It is difficult to think of any amplified music genre into which it cannot fit.

Three old gets, talking amongst themselves about their subjective favourites, is of limited assistance to the OP. 
    Be seeing you.
    For me, the main difference between the P and the J is that I hate J's and absolutely love P's.

I have a Stingray, which is brilliant, but for me a bit fat n' heavy, and 3 P's. 

I bought a 1974 in olympic white which I loved so much that I went the whole hog and got a 1964 in sunburst. So good is it, that I got a classic 50's MIM to use for more risky gigging to save the '64.

The MIM classic 50's is stunning for the money.

In an attempt to get out of my 'keep buying more P's' trap, I've got an oddball Yamaha with J pickup configuration to see what happens.. the smart money is on me swapping it for another P... *sigh*
    I like the PJ when there is separate volumes or a blend pot.

It's just a quick and easy way of getting a bit more cut if the room needs it. I once borrowed a Duff sig model where the owner had removed the 3 way switch and put in a blend instead. It was a very versatile instrument.

I don't usually do the back pickup Jaco thing, but a little extra clarity is nice sometimes.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    I like Ps, Js, and Rays. All give distinctive sounds that cover a lot of ground, and all are fairly comfortable as long as you don't get a heavy one.

Just like with guitar I prefer balanced pickup setups. So HH Rays are fine but I wouldn't want a HS. I prefer traditional J/J Jazz basses. Ps are pretty foolproof if you stick to a trad pickup.

I'm conflicted on PJs because the sound difference between the 2 sets of strings is too much for my tastes with both pickups on, due to audibly different scoop points in the mids. However I love the sound of the strings with the P side closest to the bridge. So I guess I'd want a reverse P setup on a PJ to give that sound on the lower strings. 

Bridgehouse has a point. The Precision sound could be summarised as the bass, the whole bass and nothing but the bass. It is difficult to think of any amplified music genre into which it cannot fit.

Three old gets, talking amongst themselves about their subjective favourites, is of limited assistance to the OP. 
    I kinda hoped my musings about Ps and Js would help the OP with his "gonna go find out what the difference between a p and a j" statement.

But you are right, once you find "your" style(s) of bass, it can be difficult to stay objective for someone else. 

I actually see my inability to get on with Js as a weakness.
    "The old gets"

I'm pretty sure Rocker is older than the rest of us put together! ;)

You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
    Be seeing you.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Checked out basses in Dublin this morning. The Precision -v- Jazz question: Precision all day. Did not like Yamaha, a USA Stingray and a few other makes whose names elude me at the moment. Fender Mex I really loved. The USA Fenders were not a very significant step up in quality (from Mex models) which was a surprise. Squier felt OK but sound wise the Fender trumped it. The rosewood fretboard of one sounded darker than the maple fretboard on another. Not sure which I prefer, needs a return trip anyway. I will be buying a Fender in the near future. The quality of the notes was what won me over. The Precision gave me the sound that is in my head. Can't get any better than that.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

The Precision bass must surely be the most recorded bass of all time.
    Mexican fenders built in Mexico by Mexicans 

US fenders built in US by Mexicans 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    If you're thinking Mex Fender then my recommendation is 50's classic Precision.

I have one. First time I played it I wondered if my genuine 64 Precision was beaten. Over time, the 64 is still a better bass in all regards, but for a bass that's £1k new or £500 second hand the 50s classic is frankly stunning.
    There are some really fantastic Mex basses out there, it's not really a quality thing IMO.

The reason to go US is spec.  I like the reinforced necks and string through bridges on the US Standards.  Though if you want a classic/vintage tone and feel they probably won't be to your liking.

There was a guy at the Seymour Duncan User Group Forum who was forever posting that. ;)
    Be seeing you.
  • There was a beautiful range of basses in that kind price range a few years back that was all about lightweight... I'll do some googling. 

There was a guy at the Seymour Duncan User Group Forum who was forever posting that. ;)
    Wasn't me!