MX Jazz value

PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
edited May 2017 in Bass
Since buying the Stingray, the neck on the Jazz feels a bit small, so contemplating moving on my Jazz bass.

It's a 2000-2001 example in midnight blue (the purplely looking colour). It's been a gigged instrument by the first owner, so a few signs of wear, upgraded to a schaller bridge and it also has a J-Retro pre-amp.

Looks like regular MX Jazz basses go for around £350, would £400 be about the target price with the J-Retro? (around £150 to buy). Or do the mods not add anything? 

Still not 100% on moving it on, more of a matter of taking up too much space than the cash.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5489/14313598614_7a0b12f0a7_b.jpg ;
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    If you like the bass you could also consider fitting a P bass neck instead. That would feel closer to a Stingray neck than the J profile.

If you were going to sell I reckon you'd make most money selling that bass stock and selling the preamp separately, usually that works out best with any electronics mods. I'm not up to date on used onboard preamp prices though
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    What he said.

Put it back to stock and sell the preamp separately.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Advertise the bass on this board "as is". One price with mods. A lower price for stock spec. Let the buyer decide. Maybe, save yourself some work.
    Be seeing you.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Thanks all, just making sure I wasn't valuing it too high.

Quick scan on eBay shows the preamp has sold from £60 - £110 ish on eBay.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Do you currently have a fretless bass guitar?

If not, consider selling just the fretted Jazz Bass neck. Replace with a fretless P style neck.
    Be seeing you.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I'm the other way.  I've got a Jazz and like the neck, but I prefer the sound of a Precision most of the time.  In an ideal world I'd like a passive PJ configuration with a Jazz neck but most of the current Fender PJ basses have a Precision neck on them (and active circuitry).  There doesn't seem to be a passive PJ with the P pickup in the right place in the range - unless you want the Jaguar bass and that is ugly.

I'm wondering whether to modify my Jazz to PJ configuration or sell it and buy something else.

If you can come by a Precision and want to swap the necks I might be interested in a Precision with a Jazz neck..

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    I never understood why Fender seem to be so resistant to having a permanent PJ in their Mex or even US standard range
    I never understood why Fender seem to be so resistant to having a permanent PJ in their Mex or even US standard range
    The Aerodyne is close, but the P pickup is in the position of the normal Jazz pickup so it doesn't quite sound right.
    There was a recent run of passive PJs with a J neck in sunburst finish.

Wonder if there are still any about as that sounds like it'd work for @crunchman ;

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-FSR-American-Standard-PJ-Bass-Guitar-3-Colour-Sunburst/1GLU

So people buy one of each is the first thing I thought of
    There was a recent run of passive PJs with a J neck in sunburst finish.

Wonder if there are still any about as that sounds like it'd work for @crunchman ;

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-FSR-American-Standard-PJ-Bass-Guitar-3-Colour-Sunburst/1GLU
    That's exactly the kind of thing I want.  Mine is a Mexican Classic 60s so I'd have to find some extra cash from somewhere though.  Sorry for hijacking the thread.
  • MrTMrT Frets: 21
    If you're interested in selling the J-Retro pre-amp separate then drop me a PM - I could be interested.