Fender American Dimension Bass

FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
Has anyone got a two-pickup model with the five-way coil combination selector switch? If so, how do those combinations sound? Is it worth modifying the basic passive two pickup American model to have the split and series options? (I'm not overly interested in the active EQ aspect.)
You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    I doubt many here will have one, are they currently wired in parallel? From my experience of MMs you might enjoy the bridge in series, & neck single coil FWIW
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    All of the USA dual coil Dimension Bass pickups share the same output conductor layout. Series/split/parallel coil interconnection should be possible for any combination of the four coils.

I do not desire the lever-type selector switch. A Fender S-1 switch should suffice.

My experience of American-made Musicman Stingray type pickups is that series wiring is amusingly loud but tonally inflexible. 

The FDB dual coil pickups, although obviously inspired by EBMM, have a distinct sound of their own - neither P nor J. Not as nice as Seymour Duncan NYC Soapbars.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited May 2017
    I'd copy the Stingray HH wiring.

Bridge
    Outside Single Coils
    Both Pickups
    Inside Single Coils
    Neck

All parallel, covers a lot of ground. I particularly like the tone of the 2 inner coils, sounds kind of like a PJ bridge side tone, if that makes sense. Outer coils sounds kind of like an aggressive Jazz. If I had to pick just one option I'd go for inner.

I'd be concerned about series having too much mud, though I've never tried it. In fact except for Stingrays I tend to strongly prefer passive (real) single coils on basses, they just sound clearer and punchier to me. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Useful information. Thank you.