Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rift Amplification - Customer Builds

What's Hot
RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
edited September 2018 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
A thread for every completed amplifier coming off the bench. Everything is built to order so nothing here is for sale unless stated otherwise.

Starting with one of my favourites, it's a Plexi 18 2x12" with added spring reverb, complete with a footswitch. This one has a MV, TMB+Presence tonestack, and is loaded with WGS Green Berets. I only took one progress pic of the chassis, so not much to see apart from those lovely Jupiter Yellows

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
Rift Amplification
Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
Brackley, Northamptonshire
www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    edited September 2018 tFB Trader
    This is a new one, the Tweed 5TV.

It's based on the first tweed-covered Princeton, the 5A2 model which uses a 6SL7 dual-triode in the preamp, driving a single 6V6 with a 5Y3 rectifier for 5W. Like all Tweed Princetons, it has both a Volume and Tone control and puts out considerably more volume than the octal based Champs of the same era. I opted for an oversized cabinet compared to the original, which can be loaded with either an 8" or 10" speaker. A 12" speaker model can be specified in a larger cabinet. This particular one has the 8" WGS G8C speaker and has now gone off for magazine review.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 228
    Your TV fronted Princeton (especially with a 12" speaker) really gets my attention; great looking amp, and I'm sure it sounds sublime.  Would spring reverb also be an option?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    Stunning inside and out and kudos for the old school signal generator and scope too.
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.
    tFB Trader
    dcg said:
    Your TV fronted Princeton (especially with a 12" speaker) really gets my attention; great looking amp, and I'm sure it sounds sublime.  Would spring reverb also be an option?
    No reverb on these I'm afraid, sorry!
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    RiftAmps said:
    I saw your amp on FB and it looked very nice indeed. 

Just out of curiosity if you were to make a 5TV amp but with a Brownface preamp?  It'd basically be half a Brownface Deluxe.
    RiftAmps said:
    I saw your amp on FB and it looked very nice indeed. 

Just out of curiosity if you were to make a 5TV amp but with a Brownface preamp?  It'd basically be half a Brownface Deluxe.
    See Brownie 5 - http://www.riftamps.com/brownie-5.php

Now this one can be ordered with Reverb
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    These amps look lovely.
    Had a wee look on your website and you have some great videos demonstrating the amps. Any plans for a video on the brownie 5?
    Also read your FAQs and noticed this comment.
     Unfortunately PCBs suck the tone out of the amp

Any chance you can explain this please? I don't understand how a wire can be more 'tone-full' than a conductive track.

tFB Trader
    fftc said:
    Any plans for a video on the brownie 5?
    Yup, soon. It's on the next batch of demo videos, just need to find the time.

fftc said:

Also read your FAQs and noticed this comment.
     Unfortunately PCBs suck the tone out of the amp

Any chance you can explain this please? I don't understand how a wire can be more 'tone-full' than a conductive track.

Well, it's a broad comment in a marketing application, not a academic paper. That said, this subject has been covered many times on this forum and for me, the whole PCB vs Handwired thing essentially boils down to four main points:

1. What is the quality of the PCB in question? A well designed, optimized, and quality manufactured PCB amplifier is every bit as toneful as handwired one. Many guitar amplifiers do not have these.

2. What is the quality of the handwired amplifier? Again design, assembly, component choice, and worksmanship can affect the tone.

3. Ghost capacitance - do you believe it makes a difference and does that then effect your perception of an amplifier's performance?

4. Does having a handwired guitar amplifier inspire you to play more? Or conversely, does having a PCB amplifier put you off?

I have played crap sounding handwired amplifiers, and great sounding PCB ones. In regards to the statement on my website, it specifically applies to the PCB versions of the amplifiers that I recreate, over my handwired ones.

Hope that helps?
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Thanks for the answer.
    Firstly, looking forward to the video. ;)

Secondly, ref. the PCB thing.
    I'm new on the forum and indeed new to looking into amplification at this level, so previous discussions on the topic have passed me by. Sorry if I'm bringing up old news.
    I have to admit I'm a Polytechnic dropout having studied for an Electronic Engineering degree 25 years ago that I failed to finish, so my understanding of the subject is neither up to date or complete! However I struggle with the idea that a properly designed PCB would affect tone negatively over a properly designed hand wired board. If the design or production quality is at fault then that is a problem with the design or production rather than PCBs as a whole. For that reason it does slightly smack of hocus pocus, though I freely admit I am not the expert.
    I think there are many good reasons to buy a well designed, quality, hand built amplifier. With the understanding I have currently, I wouldn't put PCBs being 'tone sucking' as one of them.

I hope these comments come over as constructive as that's how they are intended. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    fftc said:
    However I struggle with the idea that a properly designed PCB would affect tone negatively over a properly designed hand wired board.
    It wouldn't, but that's not the point that I'm making. My amplifiers are marketed at the customers who are about to spend £1000-£1500ish on a 'reissue', and I'm pointing out that in those particular amplfiers the PCBs are not well designed and are of poor quality, therefore comparitively one of my handwired models for a few hundred more is not only better sounding but better value for money with the premium components that I use. I also back them up with a lifetime warranty.

The entire 'boutique' amplifier industry only exists because the original manufacturers no longer offer a genuine quality product that is designed to last longer than a few years.

Prehaps I should change the wording to "Unfortunately, poorly designed and manfactured PCBs suck the tone out of an amplifier" ;)
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    Love your work, Sir.  Any thoughts on adding some Rivera-designed models to your line up, such as the Super Champ?

[This space for rent]

tFB Trader
    Bork said:
    Love your work, Sir.  Any thoughts on adding some Rivera-designed models to your line up, such as the Super Champ?
    Thank you.

I haven't really as there's not enough of a market to warrant the R&D. I could do one as a custom build though.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• BorkBork Frets: 252
    Im surprised about the lack of interest, theyre superb amps. Let's talk offline about the custom thing.

[This space for rent]

The PR18 is my best selling amplifier, an 18w BF amp loaded with a 12" speaker - think uprated Princeton Reverb.

Jerome's PR18 looks great in Tweed. As usual, it's chock-full of premium components including Heyboer transformers, Jupiter Vintage Yellow tone caps, Switchcraft sockets and switches, CTS/Alpha pots, and a WGS G12C speaker.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Really nice, I love to see this high standard of work and attention to detail. They look, and I'm sure sound stunning. 

Must start saving or that Brownie 5!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4254
    Zoolooter said:

Must start saving or that Brownie 5!
    I have one on order, with reverb. Cannae wait!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This is the PT20 - a 20w 1x12" amp based on the PR platform. It has a 50s Tweed preamp running into a cathode biased 6L6 power section, complete with onboard Reverb and Tremolo. Loaded with a WGS G12C as standard but is also available with the Alnico G12A.

Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I can see me ending up with one eventually, even though I have an Ax-Fx, they really are THAT good 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    I'm e-pally with James at HoT - he raves about these. I would certainly like to try. 
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 393
    One day I will have one to replace my noisey 68 CDR. Chris @RiftAmps has given me much advice on amps and been very patient with me, despite not actually giving the man any money! One day I'll get him to build me one!