Miserable guitarist

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
We got someone to video our gig on Saturday night and I just checked it out.

Oh dear.

I look so bloody miserable and grumpy and stressed. I'm not exactly a social dynamo at the best of times but wasn't aware that I look  that awkward.

So does anyone have hints or tips about how to relax (or at least look like it), look like a normal well adjusted human being and engage with the audience.

I think I might need a big mirror and some gurning lessons...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Hold a smile and get botoxed!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    edited May 2017
    Look up. Smile (if not playing miserable music), tap foot, nod head, remember you're playing guitar in a band and that makes you better than everyone else.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Drugs, booze and hoes...before the gig. B)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    How comfortable are you in playing without looking at the fretboard?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    Roland said:
    How comfortable are you in playing without looking at the fretboard?
    Not very, clearly something I need to work on. 
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 231
    Arrive early, setup and relax... Interact with the other band members...share the odd on stage joke :-)  
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Can't help with advice mate, but i'm exactly the same! I was a bit shocked when i looked back at video of me playing, i look like i was not enjoying it at all, which is the total opposite to how it was. 

i think maybe it's a case of exaggerating everything?
    Dunno, but i could do with some advice too..
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    Practice ad know your part to build confidence, then when playing make a point of looking at the audience at least once per song then build on this.The old adage of playing to one person really helps
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I agree with @stickyfiddle with a bundle of what @Roland says too.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6434
    Do you do backing vocals? If not, DO IT! This gets you looking up, engaging with the audience and also builds confidence. And bands with BV's are better. Even if you can't look at the audience, at least doing BV's will make you look "busy" rather than "mardy" :)
    And if your singing sucks, just make sure the mic is off or down!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    Do you do backing vocals? If not, DO IT! This gets you looking up, engaging with the audience and also builds confidence. And bands with BV's are better. Even if you can't look at the audience, at least doing BV's will make you look "busy" rather than "mardy" :)
    And if your singing sucks, just make sure the mic is off or down!
    Yeah, I'm doing some BV's.  I'm trying to add them a bit at a time though because, well, I'm not very experienced at it and trying to build up my confidance. You're right though, it does help get your head up. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Remember Bonehead from Oasis' retort to a US fan who criticised him playing...

Fan: "Dude I watched you the whole show and all you played was F, G, D and C!
    Bonehead: "It might have been all I played, but I was up there f**king playing it and you were paying to watch me..."
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited May 2017
    We got someone to video our gig on Saturday night and I just checked it out.

Oh dear.

I look so bloody miserable and grumpy and stressed. I'm not exactly a social dynamo at the best of times but wasn't aware that I look  that awkward.

So does anyone have hints or tips about how to relax (or at least look like it), look like a normal well adjusted human being and engage with the audience.

I think I might need a big mirror and some gurning lessons...
    So, how about posting some vid clip links and then we can at least see you before commenting & giving tips?  You're probably just being a little self conscious and not anywhere as bad as you think!  It's always weird seeing yourself on vids - kind of like hearing your recorded voice - you think you sound odd but to everyone else you sound completely normal!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited May 2017
    Practise in front of a mirror; practise your stage moves in your band rehearsals; do a group hug before you go on stage and shout YEAH to each other; look at some imaginary people just beyond those at the back and smile at them; occasionally do the odd guitar motion, such as pointing it upside down to the audience, or doing the status quo motion, or even playing behind the back of your head if you feel like it; lean back a bit more and dig in; wear makeup and stage clothes; sing BVs; get a sprung wah pedal and stamp on it; if none of that works, just wear a costume with a mask. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Loadsa musicians look miserable when they play. That Jonny from Radiohead, and......the rest of Radiohead.

No but really, there are loads.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Smile at your mates on stage, crack a few in jokes (even silently while playing) and it soon becomes infectious. Have a stock of corny jokes to scatter throughout the performance, people smiling causes people to smile! Look at the audience once in a while (or just into the gloom if the stage lights are bright). It becomes habit after a while and makes so much difference.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Imagine the entire audience are in 100% clown costumes and make-up, head to foot.

And they've brought Poodles in Silly Hats with them. (That might make a usable band name...)

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    And if you want REALLY miserable - look no further than Morrisey.  He makes Marvin the manically depressed robot from Hitchhikers GTTG look positively euphoric!  Separated at birth perhaps? 

Image result for morrissey

Image result for marvin the manically depressed robot
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Voxman said:
    And if you want REALLY miserable - look no further than Morrisey.  He makes Marvin the manically depressed robot from Hitchhikers GTTG look positively euphoric!  Separated at birth perhaps? 

Image result for morrissey

Image result for marvin the manically depressed robot
    Maybe, but he's an inspirational singer and songwriter.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Who says it's a prerequisite to look happy? Eric Clapton never looks full of the joys - I think looking bored/pissed off lends a certain gravitas to a performance. People like Bucks Fizz smile all the time....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom