Had my first ever piano lesson

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
edited May 2017 in Other Instruments
... yesterday.  It was fun. 

I am rubbish. 

I spent an hour this afternoon trying to read and hack out the melody to 'Home on the Range. 

Anyone else learned as an adult? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I had lessons as a kid and it kind of gave me a fundamental understanding of music theory and composition. I'm not a very good piano or keyboarder though!! Keep at it!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I'd love to have a crack at it, for the reasons Drew mentioned. But I always get the nagging feeling that I shouldn't spread myself too thinly (I already play guitar, mandolin, tenor guitar and sing regularly).
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    I have knee surgery on Friday, a friend of mine has "lent" me a huge Technics keyboard/electric piano to have a dabble on while I am recuperating, it looks quite daunting, I may have start lessons as well.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9684
    edited May 2017
    Good on you mate, piano is my primary instrument and it's such a challenging but rewarding thing. Your guitar knowledge will help as it's also a visual instrument, ie move to the left to go lower, right to go higher.

Depending on what style of playing you want to do and how good you intend to get, it's possible to sound OK relatively quickly, but it is pretty difficult to sound genuinely brilliant on it. I know they aren't comparable really but if you play what would be difficult guitar riffs or solos on a piano they sound very basic indeed. But your musical feel for stuff you will have learnt on guitar will come in very useful

Are you learning on a digital piano, keyboard, or real piano? Not a snobbery based question, just interesting to know
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7389
    Cheers folks.

Are you learning on a digital piano, keyboard, or real piano? Not a snobbery based question, just interesting to know
    The teacher I went to (who seemed very good, but pricey) teaches on a Grand Piano (!) in a big piano studio  extension on the side of his house.

My son (11) has a decent Yamaha weighted hammer action digital piano in his room that we bought him a year or so ago (he's had lessons for quite a while and loves it) so today I did my practice on that (among the man-child-mess lol) 

I'd love to have my own weighted keyboard but it'd need to be in our bedroom, and there's not really the room, plus with me no longer earning it's a bit skintsville. If using the lad's proves problematic I may just get a shitty keyboard as 'better than nowt' but for now it's lesson on Grand and hopefully practice on the lad's weighted keyboard. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9684
    That's probably a good combination really as then you'll learn the different feel between a mechanical and a digital one, if that makes sense. You'll learn the muscle memory and spatial awareness just as well on the Yamaha as a mechanical, but when at your lessons definitely make a point of focussing on the variety of touch you can do to vary the tone. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    I got a digital keboard thingy with the idea of teaching myself off youtube. Needless to say, I couldnt be bothered so reverted to how I "leartn" the guitar by playing along with CDs. I am learning very slowly but gradually sounding better/fuller/more fluent. Trying to coordinate left and right hands is really tricky though.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6138
    scalino65 said:
    Trying to coordinate left and right hands is really tricky though.
    Ain't that the truth. I can do the right notes or the right rhythmn, but not at the same time. It's sort of that reason why I don't do lessons.

Thankfully, piano is very rewarding for improvising with little playing talent. I find that being freed from synth/amp tweaking means that I find it easier to play and find the melodies. Also, somehow, a weighted keyboard makes it feel like you're working to get the notes.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    goldtop said:

Also, somehow, a weighted keyboard makes it feel like you're working to get the notes.
    Proper keys feel right. When I started, I had a semi-weighted MIDI controller keyboard into a sound module, and there was no feel. Getting a real piano was night and day. Even though it's different from varying the attack on a guitar, there's something about weighted keys that makes it easy to add dynamic range.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33778
    I had to learn piano at music school.
    It is a good skill to have but I don't work on it often enough to be considered good.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6138
    Forget being considered good - just make music that moves you!