Two Weeks Off The Cigarettes

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1737

Inspired by a recent thread on here I decided I wanted to give up smoking.

Realised I needed something to give me the nicotine hit and help with the 'habit' so went to B&M and bought the E Cigarette kit that they do there and a couple of liquid things.

These things were really cheap and I was a bit suspicious. £6 for the actual vape pen plus 99p for the liquids.

Normally I'd smoke 30g of tobacco a week, which combined with filters and papers probably cost about £13 a week.

Two weeks in I've not had a single desire for a traditional cigarette. I think I'm also using the vape stick less than I would a traditional cigarette. A few puffs on that and I'm good to go rather than feeling obliged to smoke the entire cigarette.

I've also used only half a bottle of the liquid. So I'm looking at less than a pound a month compared to £13 a week. The money is going into a pot labelleg "Gibson SG Fund".

Lungs are feeling healthier but the biggest difference I've noticed is the smell on other people - I now cannot stand the smell of someone who has been smoking. It's like an attack on my senses and has made me adamant i'll never return to it.

My wife was impressed with how I'd been doing so last week bought her her the same kit and she's not had a cigarette either. I've also just bought one for a good friend who has been impressed with our results.

Next stage is to get myself off the nicotine addiction and the habit element to a 100% smoke free lifestyle

So thanks guys you inspired me to do something really positive :)

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Good for you. I'm a reformed smoker and there are moments of temptation but they lessen over time. Just remember to avoid places and people where you habitually smoke in groups and that avoids one of the difficulties.

Congratulations on getting a longer life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    nice one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    Congrats.  I only occasionally smoke now when I'm drinking and I would never start full time.  Now is also a good time to start doing some exercise  as well if you don't do some. Makes you feel much better 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Well done. It's a long time since I was a regular smoker (I lapse on a night out once in a while) and feel much better these days.

Definitely the right choice for your health.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Congratulations and good luck for maintaining this for the future
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    I need more sleep, I read the title as "Two weeks off the courgettes"
    Well done with the fags btw. 
    Sounds like you're ready to ditch all nicotine too soon enough -- it starts to feel like a pointless burden after a while.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    Grunfeld said:
    I need more sleep, I read the title as "Two weeks off the courgettes"
    Well done with the fags btw. 
    Sounds like you're ready to ditch all nicotine too soon enough -- it starts to feel like a pointless burden after a while.

I'm still on 20 courgettes a day I'm afraid - it's getting pricey
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Well done, i'm now 3 weeks cig and grass free, not feeling amazingly better but getting there each day.
    Vaping sure does help. keep up the good work OP
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    @gubble and @DesVegas ;

well done, get yourself a reward!
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Nice one!

Im 7/8 years off of the ciggies now. One of the best things I ever did.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    14 years for me although I did partake in a fair few "jazz cigarettes" every now and again. 
     Smoking is an addiction and a habit, if you can break the habit you're halfway there. Personally I just quit cold turkey but I'm well 'ard. 
     Keep it up
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    My brother in law died yesterday of COPD  ..... he was warned years ago to stop smoking ... but he didn't. Hours before his death he was vaping in his hospital bed .... a sad addiction which ultimately cost him his life

Well done to you, I'm an ex smoker so know how hard it is to quit 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    cheers @Snap not feeling like death every morning is my reward

• HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Well done.

I started again last year during my sister's illness. Fully aware of the irony but the stress was realy getting to me. I quit on new year's day and apart from a couple of weeks on the nicotine patches it's been fine. I think it was easy because I never wanted to be smoking again. I've had a couple here and there on nights out but stopped even doing that the last few months. 

I'd advise giving up the vapes asap too. You've broken the smoking habit, now it's time to break those psychological links to smoking/vaping being some sort of a cycle of reward or something that keeps you calm or helps you concentrate. It's not your friend. You'll find yourself much less stressed/restless when you're fully free.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Congrats!

I quit a couple of years ago using a vape and haven't looked back. I didn't have any problems weaning myself off the vape either ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited May 2017
    Nice one @gubble  good for you!!
    I gave up at 15yrs old..had my last fag hanging out my bedroom window thinking,  that's it, last one. 16 soon and able to do it legally soon and where's the fun in that
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    Glad I stopped years ago, can't imagine what it must feel like to be in hospital because of a self inflicted illness, looking at your family knowing you are putting them through this because you didn't want to stop enough to actually do it. I know that's judgemental.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Well done.
    Having had a consultant tell me "give up the fags or you'll never get better" made me quit. Fair play to the bloke, he did say I could keep on having beer and one-night stands.

So I'm now on one from 3

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Gave up in 2001. Best thing I ever did.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    edited May 2017
    Big pat on the back mate. @gubble ;;;  I too had the same reaction when I gave up 5 years ago.  My first thought when my sense of smell returned was "Jesus....  how polite are non-smokers ? - All these years I've smelled like that and nobody has said a word !"  The stench is truly awful and, as a smoker, you are completely oblivious as to just how bad you, your car, your clothes and your house stink.

My sister's husband smokes and I can't go over there because if I spend more than a minute just standing in the house - without even sitting down - I have to wash all my clothes as soon as I get home.  I'm so attuned to the smell of fag smoke now that I can tell immediately if someone lights up several cars ahead of me when I'm on the motorway - and I've got the windows up.

The other thing that's struck me is that before I quit (was ordered to by a cardiologist when I had a heart attack), I used to think along the lines of "I can't quit.... imagine not being able to have a fag with a pint, or after dinner ? - I'll go nuts with the craving", but, of course, once the initial bit is over, you don't crave it at all.  I'm no more 'constantly aware' of not being able to have a fag now as I am of a burning desire to poke myself in the knob with a tent peg.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.