Floyd Rose TK19 help

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
in Guitar tFB Trader
Hi folks, im trying to finish a superstrat build and im wincing at the price Floyds go up to. Im being honest... I cant afford £250. But I did find a FR TK19 for £50.

Is anyone familiar with this particular unit? If properly maintained would you be of the opinion that itll be durable enough for a non gigging player (that would be me :( ) ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Never come across that one.

But cheap Floyds tend to be made from low quality white metal, particularly the knife edges where it rests against the posts.
    When these wear you'll have serious tuning stability issues.
    I'd look for a second hand Schaller unit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Refrained from answering so far as I don't actually know the unit.

If you actually want to use the bridge as a vibrato, it won't work well for very long as @mike_l explains.

If you block it and your reasons for using a "Floyd" are the same as folks like Richard Kruspe from Rammstein, (tuning stability/palm feel/fine tuners/string changes, etc.) you'll get more life out of it. Though there's the whole tone rabbit hole to disappear down there, see Brad Gillis on NGIS, etc.

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Ive owned many a Floyd guitar but ive never actually had to hunt one down to install. I may have to put this build on the long finger just now anyway. I guess as with most things the less you pay the less you get and certainly with machined metal parts theres nowhere to turn where are necks and bodies can be worked to fit. 

Ill keep an eye out, thanks for the replies chaps
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Two other bridges might be worth a look:

Schaller Lockmeister - from what I can make out the Floyd patent ran out so as well as the FR branded terms being made by Schaller as they always were, Schaller are now free to make their own branded version which is supposedly identical to the FR Original

https://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_original_tremolo_lockmeister_c.htm

Floyd Rose Special - Korean-made Floyd Original with zinc alloy saddles and sustain block in place of the steel items on the Schaller-made unit

http://www.soundaffectspremier.com/accessories-c59/guitar-parts-c63/special-locking-tremolo-system-satin-black-p7321/s7879?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=floyd-rose-special-locking-tremolo-system-satin-black&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=COifzJX_-NMCFRcTGwodSdENow

I can't vouch for either of these bridges, but the prices look altogether more palatable than the Schaller-made Floyd units, and the reviews seem fairly positive across the web. 
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    High quality second-hand parts that have not had much use are your best bet, IME. Maybe even cannibalise something or find someone with a big parts box.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    TK19 is a budget "built under FR license" system. I would not hold out any high expectations for its durability.

As has already been mentioned, the Cheepnis of the metal used has consequences for the sharpness of the all-important knife edges on which the bridge pivots. At the clamp, expect the strings to leave "bite" marks in the clamp surface. This eventually reduces the effectiveness of the clamp.

The German-made products are expensive for a reason. I like the Kahler Killer/Spyder vibratos and clamp systems.

Is your Superstrat project body drilled for vibrato pivot point inserts yet?
    Be seeing you.
  • Marshall_staxMarshall_stax Frets: 193
    I've played Floyds of various types for many, many years. In fact there currently isn't a hardtail in my collection. 

Firstly, I'd echo what most of the above posts are telling you. The knife edges on budget Floyds will wear really quickly, even if you're only playing at home. Also tuning stability can be a real issue on cheaper trems, and this kind of defeats the point of the thing in the first place. 

If you can stretch the budget a little further, the Schaller lockmeister that @randella suggested will serve you well. 
    I fear if you fit the TK19 it may be a false economy as you might be swapping it out sooner than you'd hoped.

Basically, if you buy the best Schaller made model you can afford you won't go far wrong. 

I might also suggest seeing if you can pick up a used Ibanez or Schaller unit. The metal these are made of will be better quality than cheaper units and even used will probably outlast a budget trem.

I know the cost of these units can be a total nightmare but trust me, if you go cheap you may ruin a great guitar - Bigger nightmare.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you want some more advice.  

All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • alcxamalcxam Frets: 112
    FR Special is a great bit of kit and well within your budget if you can find one - stable and does a great flutter...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2017
    alcxam said:
    FR Special is a great bit of kit and well within your budget if you can find one - stable and does a great flutter...
    @alcxam ; Anderton's had them a while back for a ton, along with a couple of other retailers all of whom have mysteriously sold out. Must be a dive bomb resurgance on the go which is a pain in the backside when you're building a guitar around a Floyd Rose Original. Might have to be the Schaller. 

Still worth keeping an eye an eye out I reckon. I'll update if I see one. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    If I remember, the original Ibanez Edge will drop into an FR cavity, and that's a solid bridge. You can get one for about £60 used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    The Floyd Rose special is fine, the base plate is steel and the knife edges are hardened, exactly the same as a FR original. It just cheaps out on the saddles and block. I have one fitted with a fat brass block and it's just as good as my FR orginal.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    There's usually the odd FR bridge floating around in the classifieds on here too, have a look.
    There's nothing wrong with a FR Special, even though some of the parts are different materials to the FRO and the baseplate is stamped rather than from a machined billet. 
    They keep good tuning and you'd struggle to tell them apart sound wise.
    edited May 2017
    Bidley said:
    If I remember, the original Ibanez Edge will drop into an FR cavity, and that's a solid bridge. You can get one for about £60 used.
    Always liked Ibanez bridges, that's a good call @Bidley ;;

Edit: there's someone chancing one on eBay for nearly £200, ouchy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=201871443361&&&adgroupid=33676502101&rlsatarget=pla-271883402075&abcId=893836&adtype=pla&merchantid=7322174&poi=&googleloc=9046644&device=c&campaignid=707291931&crdt=0&chn=ps
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    Edge trems are a lot more expensive used these days, as people all know they are so good.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    Bidley said:
    i thought they were a bit bigger?
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    Gotoh's are excellent and are very reasonably priced.  I have one on my Palm Bay Cyclone and have never had a problem with it in the 12 years I've had it. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Dave_Mc said:
    Bidley said:
    i thought they were a bit bigger?
    I've put the Edge from my Ibanez onto both my Jackson and ESP, and vice-versa, all matched up perfectly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    Huh. I got a lo-pro edge (i think it's a direct swap with the edge) for my ibanez which had a lo-trs (and i think it matches up with the OFR, apart from the stud diameter), and the lo-pro was too big

maybe it depends on how generous the route is?