Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor Plus.. underated?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Sassafras said:
    I don't really get the visibility thing of the controls. I don't know about you lot but I adjust my pedals according to what I hear, not what I see.
    Same here, and once I've got the pedal how I want it I never change it anyway, certainly not mid gig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    I swapped the gain and vol knob for plastic ones that are easy to see at gigs. The stacked ones are still an issue, but I don't mind that so much.

It's one of those pedals I always go back to. It comes off the board for a new flavour-of-the-month gain every now and then, but always comes back again.

I just love the control over tone. I don't necessarily try to achieve Marshall tone, I keep the gain in the lower half. Works through lots of different amp types too, with a bit of fiddling.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Fez said:
    Marshall can't really be interested in selling pedals. If they were they would have re-packaged the great pedals they have so that you have decent controls you can have a chance of seeing on a stage and a case which can be easily fastened to a board. 
    They don't seem to be interested in having the marketing department talk to the R&D department at all, or listening to anyone else.

Recently they launched the Mini Jubilee - almost immediately someone posted something on their forum asking if a Mini 2203 was on the cards… and the thread filled up with people saying they'd buy one. Bear in mind that they have all the necessary parts apart from a new front panel already, so it would cost almost nothing to launch. Marshall's response… "we have no plans for that". Doh.

Just imagine if they released a new upmarket pedal range - say a reissue Guv'nor Mk1, Bluesbreaker, Shredmaster and a GV-2 - but put them in standard casings with 3PDT true bypass switching, decent jacks, and made them look cool. They would sell themselves at almost any sensible price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597
    Agree with all the above - nowt wrong with the GV-2 - it was my crunchy Marshall tone for years (through a variety of solid state clean amps)  Very reasonably priced, sounds good and pretty solid. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    ICBM said:
    Fez said:
    Marshall can't really be interested in selling pedals. If they were they would have re-packaged the great pedals they have so that you have decent controls you can have a chance of seeing on a stage and a case which can be easily fastened to a board. 
    They don't seem to be interested in having the marketing department talk to the R&D department at all, or listening to anyone else.

Recently they launched the Mini Jubilee - almost immediately someone posted something on their forum asking if a Mini 2203 was on the cards… and the thread filled up with people saying they'd buy one. Bear in mind that they have all the necessary parts apart from a new front panel already, so it would cost almost nothing to launch. Marshall's response… "we have no plans for that". Doh.

Just imagine if they released a new upmarket pedal range - say a reissue Guv'nor Mk1, Bluesbreaker, Shredmaster and a GV-2 - but put them in standard casings with 3PDT true bypass switching, decent jacks, and made them look cool. They would sell themselves at almost any sensible price.
    I'd have a mini 2203 in a flash. I was just considering gigging my 2100 until I put it on top of my vertical 2x12. It looked bloody stupid. They'll find themselves left behind if they're not careful. Big heads that match the width of a 4x12 look great on big stages on the top of a full stack but that's not what the majority of their customers use is it? 

I can see why they might not plan to do a mini JVM but the majority of their classics wouldn't take a lot of re-enginerring to shrink, surely. I'm looking over at my 1987xw and the chassis is only a few inches wider than the Hayden Mofo that's sat on top of it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:
    I've promoted the GV2 loads of times on here - it's a great pedal, terrific bang for buck, built like a tank & very under-rated.  When players look for a Marshall in a pedal it's incredible how often a Marshall pedal gets overlooked!  Re the C22 mod, I have a Boss GE-7 EQ at the end of my pedal-board, and before the GV2 is a Behringer TO800 vintage Tube Overdrive.  If I need more top end bite from the GV2 I just kick in the EQ, & the GV2 plus TO800 (GV2 gain turned down a notch or two) are blindingly good together too. (I took the pic below when I was experimenting with pedal positions - the GV2 and TO800 are reversed now - the other pedals on my board are a Boss CS3 compressor, and a Marshall Echohead (EH1) and Regenerator (RG1))

I have the Jackhammer JH1 & Blues Breaker BB2 too.  Neither are a patch on the GV2, and the JH1 & BB2 are now consigned to a cupboard.  The JH1 overdrive is nice enough, but the distortion option lacks the classic warmth and transparency of the GV2 and IMHO is a bit 'meh'.  I used to think the JH1 was good until I put it next to the GV2 on my board and switched between the two - then the difference becomes really obvious.  

The BB2 is OK, but a bit lack lustre and dark sounding.  The Boost option is a nice feature, but unfortunately for me it colours the original tone too much, so for a clean boost I use a BBE Boosta Grand.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/voxman5/ADVENT-PC/Pictures/Gear/Floor pedals/P1000034_zps162d3855.jpg

nick79 said:
    I agree about the knobs being too fiddly to adjust. In dim light i've got no chance of seeing them. Not a massive problem (or at least not enough to put me off it). 

I sometimes run a TS9 mini into the the Guvnor for a bit 'more', that works well too. 
    That's very useful to know that it takes a tubescreamer as a boost well. D Thanks!

Seems to be a new TMB version of the super crunch box out now, too... of course no dealers here now.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited May 2017
    but who would winz in a fight? The GV-2 or the Jackhammer ??
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    siraxeman said:
    but who would winz in a fight? The GV-2 or the Jackhammer ??
    For classic Marshall crunch the GV2. If you want more distortion but with less true Marshall character, the JH1.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    ICBM said:
    Fez said:

I thought the above comment was worth a wiz!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    edited March 2023
    ICBM said:
    Fez said:

I thought the above comment was worth a wiz!
    Wow this thread takes me back... funnily enough Marshall actually have- eventually!- more or less released what people were saying they should, a mini-JCM 800 and reissues of the old pedals (admittedly not in better cases!) have been released. Not saying they quite have their fingers on the pulse as such, but maybe they're not just quite as out-of-touch as we thought they were...

(I thought your comment was worth a wiz too!  =) Oh and as everyone- including me- suspected, I caved and got a GV-2 a good while back...)
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Still got my GV-2, every now and again I try out other miab pedals and I still prefer it. Cost me £30 about 7 or 8 years ago so it was certainly one of my better buys.