What to charge for gigs?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    He wants to pay us £400 for New Year's Eve  ha ha ha ha
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    Ha ha ha ha
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    He wants to pay us £400 for New Year's Eve  ha ha ha ha
    Wow, that's a decent offer....

.....wait, that's not each?

hahahahahahahaha
  • ESBlonde said:
    Other than that it seems to be what the market (or lack of) can stand. Pubs from £250-600 (mostly lower end). Clubs £500-750 and functions £600-£1800. State your price, be prepared to haggle and say yes or no depending on your needs and desires.
    These prices are my experience too.  

Pubs - usually 2, 1 hour sets, clubs usually an hour and a half/2 hours straight through. Festivals and functions - well you just have to fill the slot your given. We do a lot of small local festivals and they seem to pay more for less time. 

We played on a bill with Razorlight yesterday - they sound checked for eternity - so we lost our sound check and had to cut our slot - ended up with £500 for little over half an hour and home in time for tea. Thank you very much!!!

There are 9 people in the band. Fee's have been a bone of contention. It was agreed that we wouldn't play for less than £400 (except charity shows). We average 30 + gigs a year at this fee, but I think it prices' us out of work in local pubs who can't pay that much. Some of the band (the singer naturally!) prefer shows at bigger venues (he actually said at one point that he wouldn't play a venue unless it had a proper stage - but was mocked mercilessly). My view is play everything for any price - build your reputation and the better gigs/fees will come. 

My point is it might be worth having some discussion about this stuff at the start......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ESBlonde said:
    Other than that it seems to be what the market (or lack of) can stand. Pubs from £250-600 (mostly lower end). Clubs £500-750 and functions £600-£1800. State your price, be prepared to haggle and say yes or no depending on your needs and desires.
    These prices are my experience too.  

Pubs - usually 2, 1 hour sets, clubs usually an hour and a half/2 hours straight through. Festivals and functions - well you just have to fill the slot your given. We do a lot of small local festivals and they seem to pay more for less time. 

We played on a bill with Razorlight yesterday - they sound checked for eternity - so we lost our sound check and had to cut our slot - ended up with £500 for little over half an hour and home in time for tea. Thank you very much!!!

There are 9 people in the band. Fee's have been a bone of contention. It was agreed that we wouldn't play for less than £400 (except charity shows). We average 30 + gigs a year at this fee, but I think it prices' us out of work in local pubs who can't pay that much. Some of the band (the singer naturally!) prefer shows at bigger venues (he actually said at one point that he wouldn't play a venue unless it had a proper stage - but was mocked mercilessly). My view is play everything for any price - build your reputation and the better gigs/fees will come. 

My point is it might be worth having some discussion about this stuff at the start......
    The guy who replaced me in my old band ( bear with...) then set up a band doing the same kind of set ( ska covers)when he left with an idea of anything for any price. Also nicked the agent and various contacts. 
    About four years on ( our keyboard player knows them quite well)they play a lot but they made such a point of playing cheaply for the experience that they still struggle to get more than £100 for the same venues we get £300 for.
    Maybe with a 9 piece you accept that it isn't likely to be a money making experience. I was, fairly briefly, in a band with a bassist who also played in a big soul review band that would sell out decent sized venues but he made as much playing in pubs with us because it was a ten ( IIRC)piece band with sound and lighting people.
    Anyway, Razorlight. Word :bleep_bloop:  :bleep_bloop:  :bleep_bloop: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    We have been offered a gig at a wedding but they want us to play for FOUR hours. The gig is in three weeks and we had to turn down at least £1000. Its a shame but not at all feasible. 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    rico said:
    We have been offered a gig at a wedding but they want us to play for FOUR hours. The gig is in three weeks and we had to turn down at least £1000. Its a shame but not at all feasible. 
    As a singer I don't think there's any way my voice would last for four hours. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    In my experience weddings always run late ..... that 4 hours would probably turn into 3 hours or less which is pretty normal 
    Asking for 4 hours though is a bit much, sounds like they want maximum value from the spend
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • The guy who replaced me in my old band ( bear with...) then set up a band doing the same kind of set ( ska covers)when he left with an idea of anything for any price. Also nicked the agent and various contacts. About four years on ( our keyboard player knows them quite well)they play a lot but they made such a point of playing cheaply for the experience that they still struggle to get more than £100 for the same venues we get £300 for. Maybe with a 9 piece you accept that it isn't likely to be a money making experience. I was, fairly briefly, in a band with a bassist who also played in a big soul review band that would sell out decent sized venues but he made as much playing in pubs with us because it was a ten ( IIRC)piece band with sound and lighting people.
    Anyway, Razorlight. Word bleep_bloop  bleep_bloop  bleep_bloop 
    Yeah - fair point @erictheweary - thats what the majority of our band think too - hence our agreed minimal fee. Personally 

I think the OP should have a discussion about this stuff at the start though. I am in the minority in my band so have to accept the majority position.  

Yes Razolight. A band so dull that the term 'land fill indie' was created to describe them. 
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Four hours is a bit daft to ask for.
    Unless your one of the bands that just plods along gently, you are going to cause your singer damage that doesn't heal quickly.
    Most of the stuff my band does is Weddings, Holiday Parks and Corporate. The contract is always in the van and it almost always states 2 x 45 minutes. Of course Encores get asked for and as long as they haven't treated us like shit all night, we will gladly oblige.
    New Years Eve always seems to be 2 x 60 mins though.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    We had a gig on Saturday and picked up another gig on the back of it at a local pub for £300 and all the beer we can drink...happy days. 
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1904
    Hey @Placidcasual79 we played the previous day, before The Christians. If it makes you feel any better we were billed as "headline warm-up" and got £300 (but there are only three of us). I think that is just what we asked for though. Sounds like we have to be more ruthless in our negotiations...

Also, our set got cut short due to everything running late. :D 

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Hey @Placidcasual79 we played the previous day, before The Christians. If it makes you feel any better we were billed as "headline warm-up" and got £300 (but there are only three of us). I think that is just what we asked for though. Sounds like we have to be more ruthless in our negotiations...

Also, our set got cut short due to everything running late. :D 

Hey Bluechargeboy

I've seen the Hedgegods a few times you guys are brilliant. I also saw your percussionist playing on his own in Chester and was totally mesmerised. I think we've shared bills before? You right - we were offered £300 and asked for £500 because there are 9 of us. The sound on stage was terrible but I've seen videos from out front and they were ok. How did you go? 
    @Placidcasual79 Ta very much like! :) It wasn't very busy on the Friday. That space sure made the audience look sparse!! We had a nice sound, but we are a quiet band onstage (having no drum kit makes a difference). The reverb/echo in that room made me want to buy reverb and echo pedals!
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 979
    edited May 2017
    @Placidcasual79 Ta very much like! It wasn't very busy on the Friday. That space sure made the audience look sparse!! We had a nice sound, but we are a quiet band onstage (having no drum kit makes a difference). The reverb/echo in that room made me want to buy reverb and echo pedals!
    Yes - it was a sweet sounding room/tent. The acoustics were incredible. You back there this weekend for red dragon?

Also, and I apologise if this is wide of the mark -  but is it true you guys do a dub night in Ruthin? I'd love to come......
    @Placidcasual79 We did Red Dragon last year so having a year off. Also have another 4 gigs to get through this weekend...!

There is an occasional reggae night in Ruthin, Pressure Sound. Run by mates of ours, not by the band.
  • @Placidcasual79 We did Red Dragon last year so having a year off. Also have another 4 gigs to get through this weekend...!

There is an occasional reggae night in Ruthin, Pressure Sound. Run by mates of ours, not by the band.
    Thanks - I'll have a look into that - enjoy your weekend!