Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 255
    edited May 2017
    Hi peeps

I'm a beginner, still new to guitar.  Have been self taught off Youtube vids, Nile Rodgers is a favourite along with Steve Lukather, Joe Satriani and Alan Murphy. 

Q1:  Where did you username come from? 

A combination of Borg and broken meaning unassimilated...an outsider.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

China

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

I have the build bug. I have 5 guitars but none quite hit the spot so I want satisfy future gear cravings by building my own stuff.  Currently have plans for about 4 guitars all based on a highly modified version of the Yamaha MSG

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Yamaha MSG/Image modded with custom Amstrong PAFs

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Flying in a Blue Dream

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZabbaZabba Frets: 0
    Thanks for the add to the forum, I am based in Manchester and` try` to play various styles of country blues as well as bottleneck. Although to a not to good standard.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Old player, still at it with a weekly jam band. Got too many guitars.
  • GL2814GL2814 Frets: 1
    GL2814 here; playing guitar since 1979. Captain Sensible's heavy riffing in the Damned MK3 got me away from playing bass guitar and onto lead guitar. Awfully keen on getting one of those Golden Plexi pedals.

1) My forum name? Green Lantern of sector 2814 (Earth, basically). Big comics fan, my comic book collection is worth way more than all of my guitars put together. 

2) Where am I from? Och hoots, north ae' Watford Gap.

3) Main musical ambition? To play a tasty twelve bar blues solo.

4) Best Bit Of Gear: my Mex Strat - got Seymour Duncans in it, £119 second hand, plays like a dream. Thanks, Cash Converter!

5) #1 Favourite ever track: I Want To Stay Here by Steve & Eydie. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Def90Def90 Frets: 0
    Morning all

Richard from West Wales, originally Yorkshire.  Returning to regular playing after many years out.  Never very good, now shockingly bad.  Mixture of steel acoustic and Classic - aiming to play stuff properly now, not just wing it.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Land Rover fanatic

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? As above

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To play the guitar without embarrassment

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Takamine acoustic

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Crossroads, the live one from Wheels of Fire. Rock guitar defined right there.

• HoarasaurusHoarasaurus Frets: 110
    Good Morning

I'm Joseph, been playing for a long, long time. Multi-genre loving and playing; both electric and acoustic. Write my own acoustic instrumentally things, and write as part of a few originals bands. 

Q1:  Where did you username come from? A local friend, who has the ability for humourous nickname creation.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? From Lincoln, UK. 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To play in the style of me, and not be afraid to take risks. 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? That's a hard one, too many choices! It will soon be my Adrian Lucas electric baritone, with Bulldog Pickup P90's

Q5:  Your #1 ever track- again, just the one? Another New World - Punch Brothers

Lots of Nice Guitars, and not enough pedals!
  • KenSavageKenSavage Frets: 1
    Hi all, my name is Ken Savage, I make guitars and would like to create awareness of my work for anyone that may be interested. 
    I have a website with the rather long winded name of kensavageguitars.wixsite.com/kensavageguitars if you wish to take a look. I'm also on youtube "kensavageguitars" and facebook "KenSavage.3785"

• PhilMPhilM Frets: 279
    Hi all.

Phil here, from Swindon, Wiltshire. I've been playing for 22 years, at various levels from pubs to 10,000+ - although much of that was achieved before I hit my 20s. Work and life (and cars/cycling) got in the way for a while but for the last few years guitar playing has risen back to the top of my list of hobbies. I never fully gave up, but saw it more as a relaxation thing than a hobby. I came across this forum a couple of times while researching Wudtone (!) and the 2017 Les Paul Tribute T and thought it a good idea to stop lurking and get involved.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Its my first name, with the first letter of my surname. I went to school with another Phil, so he was Phil L and I was Phil M. This got smudged into Phlegm for a while, but PhilM is nicer in polite company  ;)

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Swindon, Wiltshire

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To get back the level I was in the 90s.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My 1995 Fender Strat

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Can't narrow it down to one, sorry!

• SneekerSneeker Frets: 0
    edited May 2017
    Hi all

I feel a bit of a fraud - I'm not really a new member but this is my first proper post. I have been a member for a few years but only occasionally browsed the classifieds to remind me of all the things I do not own.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? No good story - just made up a word.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? London/ Oxfordshire

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Just to be a bit better tomorrow than I am today

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Trussart Steelcaster

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Hendrix, Red House. (I can even tell you my #1 note in it)

I look forward to contributing to the forum.

• Hi I'm Tony. Live in Surrey, been playing for 30 years, well, I played A,E, D and G chords, mostly drunk, for about 4 months 30 years ago, didn't pick up a guitar again until last year, sticking with it now.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Character in my favourite book. Used on spur of the moment when setting up a Twitter account.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Surrey.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To be able to pick up any guitar and just play well, as long as someone has left a left handed guitar lying around.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My Gretsch Electromatic.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Comfortably Numb, the PULSE version.

• vincechu89vincechu89 Frets: 92

Hi all, I'm Vince, I'm getting back into playing the guitar after a 5 year or so break.

a mix of my first and last name

The UK, Birmingham

To be able to sight read and improvise better!

A classical guitar made by E B Jones.

Sorry can't think of one, but Dani California by the RHCP comes to mind for some reason?

• GilgaFrankGilgaFrank Frets: 23
    edited June 2017
    Well I'm not new here, I was posting on the old board but I might as well post a hello here.

As a kid I was obsessed with the Epic of Gilgamesh (google it). And everyone knows me as Frank.

Stockport, the armpit of Manchester

To get in Annie Clark's pants No, wait ... to have the ability to play breathtaking solos, and the good taste not to.

My 1987 US Standard Strat. There's nothing to touch this. Best Stratocaster I've ever played. And I've played lots.

Junior Walker, I'm A Roadrunner

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27427
    Hi Guys :) My name is Daniela 
    Looks more like "Brian" to me?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steve-OSteve-O Frets: 37

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

Japan.

I'm living in Japan but I was born in a small village near Chelmsford.

I don't know. I've been playing for about 25 years and I feel like I'm still just a beginner.

Q4: Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

I have a 30 year old Lowden original acoustic.

Q5: Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? 

Not sure I can pick just the one. However, the first record i ever bought was a 45 single of the theme tune to Rocky 3 by Survivor "Eye of the tiger". The B side sucked.

I'll be selling the odd guitar from Japan now and again but I'm not a dealer or anything, just an enthusiast with a collection that needs culling... Cheers!

• GilgaFrankGilgaFrank Frets: 23
    Steve-O said:
    ,,, the first record i ever bought was a 45 single of the theme tune to Rocky 3 by Survivor "Eye of the tiger".
    See, now you've mentioned that I'm obliged to post this.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • J_R_HJ_R_H Frets: 2
    HI

Im james and have been playing 30 some years and am trying to put an americana band together

Q1: User name = initials
    Q2: Derby UK
    Q3: Ambition = To put an Americana bandtogether, finish my album sell millions and win a grammy quit work
    Q4: Best Gear: Gibson 1964 Hummingbird 2012 reissue
    Q5: Track: Suite Judy Blue Eyes CSN&Y
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Hi, just joined after spending a while reading/learning/lurking.  Only started learning to play less than a year ago to still lots to learn.

In terms of the questions:

User name - I like vinyl records.  Probably don't play them as often as I should though.

Location - Berkshire

Musical ambition - just to be able to play along to some songs and entertain friends and family

Best gear - only a few pieces so far so the best would have to be the guitar - a Yamaha Pacifica which I got as a birthday present last year to get me started.

Track - too many to narrow it down - but a couple that come to mind - Strong Persuader by Robert Cray; Lay Lady Lay by Bob Dylan; Touch Too Much by AC/DC.....

Looking forward to learning more and hopefully joining in...
  • OriOri Frets: 2
    Hi, joined to learn, share some stories and get more into guitar building (at the risk of playing less) and good rock stuff.
     Part of my real life nick, part of my name too...

From a land of swords and castles.

Learn enough to enjoy playing.

my Cort m520, my first love.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Amongst many others...Love like a man. Ten years after.
  • SlamdogSlamdog Frets: 1

Originally from a series of naughty films. Then I used it for my first company name. I've used it so long on the internet that I can't think of changing it. I've been online since dialup at 300bps so after 20+ years....

I now live in Northampton in the county of Northamptonshire.  Been here since the kids started primary school. They are 17 and 18 now.

Blimey. Main musical ambition would be to learn to play guitar or bass. At the moment I have only the ability to roadie...or is it stage tech now? I maintain my kids instruments and amps, build new amps and pedals, fix broken stuff. I trained as an electronic engineer back in the 80's when I left school.

At the moment it's my hands, closely followed by my ears. I'm getting old so the good bits are wearing out.

How to pick a single track? Damn that's a hard question. I have been a music fan since I saw Judas Priest on top of the pops when they charted with take on all the world. 

Ultimately though, it has to be Born To Lose by Motorhead. Having seen it played live by a young Lemmy at a gig in the old Hammersmith Odeon that made me stone deaf for a couple of days made it just stick there, especially with Phil on lead. Its still my phone ringtone 

I can't play it but I can fix it if you blow it up.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Hi everyone, its my first post here and it looks like a great place to be! Hope I can get chatting to many fellow axe-wielders!

As for the asnwers:

Q1:  My user name comes from my 3 mostly used guitars all merged together, a Les Paul, Strat and Telecaster!

Q2:  I'm in London, UK.

Q3:  Main one is to play in a band that earns substantial money to call a living.

Q4:  Best bit of gear is probably my 6505+ head. Love the sound!

Q5:  Difficult one, but I'd have to Live Forever by Oasis, purely cos its the first ever song I learnt to play on the guitar.