Fretless Basses

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
Had a go on a Squier Fretless Jazz yesterday.  It was actually pretty good I thought.

Serious respect to people who can play them in tune.  Crossing strings going from a 5th to an octave (so same fret both strings) is really hard to do smoothly and in tune, at least for a beginner fretless player.  Sounds cool though
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Practice makes perfect less imperfect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Playing octaves ala Jamiroqui are deceptively hard, they are fun to play though.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Smother your sound in chorus or flanger and gliss to every note.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    edited July 2017
    I got an Ibanez SR 370 fretless last year. I've played it more than anything else since, and it does get easier. When I got it (xmas) I hadn't played a fretless since maybe 1986, and I was all over the place. Sounded terrible. But it soon gets easier. I have been working at playing it so you can't tell its fretless. It;s just practice really. I love the feel of it, feels much more fluid, which I suppose makes sense!

here's some demo work, of  cover of Army of Me that I am (very slowly) working on.This was done in one take, so its a bit rough and ready (lots of sloppy harmonics). It was just to test out the sound and some ideas

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/314670599?secret_token=s-3q0Qm&amp;amp;auto_play=false&amp;amp;hide_related=false&amp;amp;show_comments=true&amp;amp;show_user=true&amp;amp;show_reposts=false&amp;amp;visual=true"></iframe>

sorry for the massive link, a normal one wouldn't embed

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Not played my fretless for years. It's 5 string and I now play 4s for bass. I should dig it out again
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I have a Fretless "EB0" built by @WezV which he sensibly made a regular 34" scale, so it's easier to play, as the fingering is the same spacing as my Fender bases.  This is me using it at a show last year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGDy3CjQpNY
  • I had a Fretless 5 for about a year - my intonation was pretty good until around the seventh fret but after that I just couldn't make it work! 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16642
    edited August 2017
    Can you believe its 8 years old this year - i love the massive expanse of pure ebony on this

One thing to be aware of with fretless basses is the dots on the side often represent the fret position.  Iliek to have lines where the frets should be and dots in the normal position halfway between the relevant frets

which you can see here

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I had a fretless briefly years ago, someone had done a Jaco on it, so all the fret lines were still visible, so it was certainly easier to play than a double bass.
    I am not a fan of lined or de-fretted fingerboards. The temptation is always to judge pitch with the eye rather than with the ear.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Why make playing music harder and more difficult than it needs to be?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:

The sound is different.  You can't make a fretted bass sound like a fretless bass.

Anyway Orchestral strings players manage just fine, it's a skill you can learn.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    edited August 2017
    Rocker said:
    Why ask the question if you don't listen to the answers?
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1303470/#Comment_1303470
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1305563/#Comment_1305563

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Rocker said:
    Why make life harder by opposing everything you don't understand?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Winny_Pooh said:
    Why make life harder by opposing everything you don't understand?
    It never ceases to amaze me, the efforts to which some humans will go to avoid thinking.