Helix Lt. versus Headrush

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited June 2017
    I dont think anyone on this forum owns or has compared a Headrush to a Helix? 
    I don't think that's really relevant here - nobody's complaining about the sound; most objections are based on features and support, and you don't need to have an in-person demo to know about those.
    Is this being contrary for the sake of it? OP asks for opinions on a piece of kit. No one here has heard it in person.

How is the tone and user experience of said device "not really relevant here" ? 

Would agree with @digitalscream ;;
    Headrush doesn't do what I need it to do. In many ways in terms of features, helix is light years ahead. There is no point me looking at any other modelling unit as the only one that delivers features I need is helix.

If sound was no.1 criteria I'd be wanting to try all out in person. 

However for my use, I can see that headrush is a non starter for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    I dont think anyone on this forum owns or has compared a Headrush to a Helix? 
    I don't think that's really relevant here - nobody's complaining about the sound; most objections are based on features and support, and you don't need to have an in-person demo to know about those.
    Is this being contrary for the sake of it? OP asks for opinions on a piece of kit. No one here has heard it in person.

How is the tone and user experience of said device "not really relevant here" ? 

No. I'm saying that if the feature set of a device or the support capability of is manufacturer makes it unsuitable or inferior, then the sound of it is irrelevant.

EDIT: If the OP had asked what they sound like, then yes - you'd have a point. The question wasn't that specific, though.
    So you are stating outright that I don't have a point and additionally implying that the OP is not interested in the tone of the unit because he didn't specifically state it. You are just creating noise in this thread for the sake of oneupmanship. 

Oh do shut up. 

I'm saying that the OP's question includes tone, as well as including all of the other stuff - and that people can easily have opinions on the latter because, contrary to your implication, it's easy to know those things without having seen or tried one in person.

You're just spoiling for a fight for the sake of it.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953

At the end of the day, the Headrush is to be applauded for adding some competition. Nonethelss, it remains a copy imho... and from initial findings, a poorly supported one at that...

There's going to be a homogenisation of design when two products fulfil the same fuction, but Headrush is as much a copy of a Helix the same way a Ford Focus is a copy of a Honda Civic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Best comment yet...... Focus vs. Civic!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    Sporky said:

At the end of the day, the Headrush is to be applauded for adding some competition. Nonethelss, it remains a copy imho...
    I doubt they could have designed it, tooled up and built it since the Helix came out. More likely coincidence - there are plenty of differences after all.
    With respect mate, physically it's an OBVIOUS copy (or influence, if you like that word better) !! :)
    I disagree.

It's in keeping with the general layout of modern multiFX. They all have one or two rows of footswitches, a screen, a few knobs. Most have an expression pedal. Active scribble strips are old hat for digital mixers so it's no surprise they're appearing on other kit.

You might as well say that a new world horse is an obvious copy of an old world horse because they look similar. They didn't get there the same route, it's just a pretty good design.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

At the end of the day, the Headrush is to be applauded for adding some competition. Nonethelss, it remains a copy imho...
    I doubt they could have designed it, tooled up and built it since the Helix came out. More likely coincidence - there are plenty of differences after all.
    With respect mate, physically it's an OBVIOUS copy (or influence, if you like that word better) !! :)
    I disagree.

It's in keeping with the general layout of modern multiFX. They all have one or two rows of footswitches, a screen, a few knobs. Most have an expression pedal. Active scribble strips are old hat for digital mixers so it's no surprise they're appearing on other kit.

You might as well say that a new world horse is an obvious copy of an old world horse because they look similar. They didn't get there the same route, it's just a pretty good design.
    Ha ! Yeh right...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/H.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Even though I know which came first, the Headrush looks a bit 2008, the Helix looks like a 2017 redesign of it.

Some of the clips of the Headrush sound really  wry good, some sound appalling, I guess that the nature of something so tweakable.
    dindude said:
    Even though I know which came first, the Headrush looks a bit 2008, the Helix looks like a 2017 redesign of it.

Some of the clips of the Headrush sound really  wry good, some sound appalling, I guess that the nature of something so tweakable.

In general I do prefer the Helix design (mostly because I'd rather have physical knobs than a touch screen).

However there is some sense in having a colour strip above the scribble strip, rather than an illuminated switch.  Imagining the scenario where you are lining up a swtich change, your foot will obscure the view of the light on the Helix before it does on the Headrush.  It's a tiny thing, and not something to buy/not buy a product for (either implementation is superior to previous generation stuff) but yeah I actually think the way the Headrush does that is preferable.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I love the Helix. Probably the best bit of kit I've ever purchased. Honestly. I've owned two Axe FX II's, three Kempers, and several other smaller modellers and multi-fx over the years. Line 6 really knocked it out of the park - some twat on Mars got a baseball to the face, and GOOD... coz we got Helix!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited June 2017
    If you're going to compare looks, I think we need to add LT into the mix too. 

Headrush prices are mis-priced now and will HAVE to drop significantly if its going to have any chance of breaking into this sector, in order to be more competitive against Helix LT, simply because Line 6 has the more established name & market share.  I'm talking £699- 749 max i.e. below Helix LT prices. 

Right now the Headrush is still £899. But LT prices are already reducing - Dawson's are still selling Helix LT at the original price of £849 but Andertons are £817, Gear for music £799, and Bax Shop is £782.  

But 'full flavour' Helix prices have come way down too - £1,039 from Andertons & GAK.  At the cheapest price as above, £257 is the difference between LT & full Helix - arguably big enough for some folk to go LT but for me the price difference between LT and full Helix has to be wider or LT sales are going to suffer.  

The Headrush is now priced smack bang in the middle - and clearly LT wasn't good news for the Headrush team.  But between £899 currently for Headrush and £1,039 (only £140 more) for full Helix, it's a complete no brainer - full Helix all the way!  But I have to say that I really do like the Headrush drag 'n drop display - and it's ease of use might be its saving grace. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Sorry to drag up an old post... I am kinda having a hard decision between the Headrush, Helix or Helix LT.

Currently, the prices are:
    Headrush - £899
    Helix - £999
    Helix LT - £715

I wasn't too keen on the Helix plug in when I tried it out... which is making me nervous about that.

My gear is:
    Ibanez RG6PCMLTD
    Yamaha Pacifica 311H
    Peavey ValveKing II 50w

I don't gig - just play with myself (no comments ;)) and do a bit of home recording.

The Line 6 stuff is on offer at the moment at Andertons, GAK etc
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • Are you wanting to run it through your amp?
    What didn't you like about native? Chances are you won't like Helix.
  • I seem to recall music radar summed it up by saying the headrush had the better amp sounds and it was easier to use quickly but everything else favoured the Helix. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I find that MR comment a bit odd, as helix is the easiest to use; complex piece of gear I've ever had, it's a doddle. Can't help but feel they were splitting hairs for review purposes. 
  • Are you wanting to run it through your amp?
    What didn't you like about native? Chances are you won't like Helix.
    Yes and no - for just playing, yes. Recording... no, straight into my DI.
    Guitar(s): Custom Gordon Smith Graduate, FGN Odyssey JOS-FM-M FBT, Ibanez RG6PCMLTD, Yamaha Pacifica 311H, Harley Benton Fusion Pro HSH Amp: Blackstar HT5-R MKII, Presonus Eris E4.5 Active Studio Monitor Speakers  | Effects: Wampler Plexi Drive Deluxe, Fender Marine Layer Reverb, Fender The Bends Compressor, TC Electronics Flashback 2, EH Hum Debugger, TC Electronic Polytone 3.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I suspect MR summed it up by not quite saying "They both advertise with us, so..."
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    edited December 2017
    I have the LT but if it was now I'd go for the full fat Helix. The price difference is not that big now and it probably is more sturdy than the LT even if you just play at home not to mention the additional features.

I've had Thomann send me a new one because the expression pedal broke on the first LT I bought and believe or not this one is already making weird noises with just light use. I'm sure it's just a question of time for it to break too.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    I have the LT but if it was now I'd go for the full fat Helix. The price difference is not that big now and it probably is more sturdy than the LT even if you just play at home not to mention the additional features.

I've had Thomann send me a new one because the expression pedal broke on the first LT I bought and believe or not this one is already making weird noises with just light use. I'm sure it's just a question of time for it to break too.

I just read on a Helix Facebook Group that a lot of people have issues with the expression pedal on the LT.

Then again, a lot of people are getting bricked Headrush devices with their new update... as well as if you don't power it down, you can brick it. 

I think i'll go with the Helix - I am sure the Native I didn't have it set up right... all the demos i've heard sound excellent...