If your band haven't got together in over 4 months, is it still legit to say you're in a band?

What's Hot
DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
What about 2 months?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Haha, I'm in exactly the same position!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Yes, and Louise is still my girlfriend, although I haven't seen her in 20 years, VERY hard to get hold of these days,
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'm also in a country type band, have been for several years and we've done about 7-8 gigs in total.
    Sadly the drummer died earlier this year (cancer) so I had expected it to disintegrate but we have a gig tomorrow night so met the guys and new drummer tuesday for the first time in months. So it can work if everyone has other projects too and you pull together for a gig now and then, it's good to have several saleable band styles when approached about gigs.

If it is an originals band I would suspect the lack of interest or gigs to pull it apart over that time scale.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    edited June 2017
    It's an originals band, we have tried to book rehersals in that period but one have us have either been on holiday or otherwise unavailable
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    This time of year it's the same for my band. Bass player works abroad for the month of June every year and then we hit the holiday period. Which will mean we probably won't be gigging for at least 2 months. Probably be rusty when we get together eventually for a rehearsal too :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Personally I'd milk it for 4 years
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    My mates band get together a couple of times a year for a spate of writing and a few gigs. They book the gigs first and write as much new material as they can by rehearsing every night for about a week before the gig. 

Two of the 3 guys can't commit to regular arrangements because of their jobs but it seems to work for them. I know a few other similar bands.

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    Yes... Especially if when you reconvene it all feels like you have never been away
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    for my own musical needs i would consider that too long and be out looking for something a little more regular. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited June 2017
    I left a band a few months ago cos we never really saw each other and that was a big problem. I would always suggest songwriting/demo'ing sessions but nothing happened, the only times we ever met up was for a rehearsal for a gig we'd play ever 3-4 months. In the end I just couldn't do it anymore.

It was tough as we all lived in different towns and the other 4 guys held full-time jobs. 2 had gf's which made weekend rehearsing difficult, as that was the only time they had any time to spend with them. We had a designated weeknight practice but only ever rehearsed 3 weeks consecutively once. With the rehearsal place being off the M25 as you can imagine driving on it between 5:30-6:30pm isn't the best time. So practices never started at 6pm (when it was booked to start) and never finished at 9pm (when it was booked til). As a result we only got over an hour's rehearsal which was usually running the set.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 366
    I think there may be a temperament thing here as well. Personally I hate being in a band that is doing nothing for long stretches of time, it always feels like a struggle to get tight and develop interplay between the players. Also I like to play but don't like the complication of multiple projects so I want a band to be active fairly regularly. That's my stuff, some folks are much more laid back about it, I sometimes wish I could be. Of course at the non professional level there are all sorts of things that affect people's availability and ability to commit which can be rather frustrating at times.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    It's hard to decide when to call it a day. If you think there are other musicians out there to hook up with, you should leave instead of waiting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    It's hard to decide when to call it a day. If you think there are other musicians out there to hook up with, you should leave instead of waiting.
    Yeah, I was stalling for a while whether to leave, in hope something would get going but nothing really did so if anything it took me too long. I was trying to hold out for as long as I could, I started the band too so to walk away was really hard but I had to stay true to myself. If you're not happy or doing much, move on.