Squier JV Precision 1982

RockerRocker Frets: 4947
Found this on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/electric-basses/squier-by-fender-jv-precision-1982-57-reissue/12131453

Seems very pricey to me.  Is is a good bass, Y or N?  What do you think it should sell for if it is overpriced?

Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Don't confuse Squier JV with Squier.

Not the same thing at all.
  • KDSKDS Frets: 220
    Check out bass chat, if it's stock and good condition it good price
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    They are fab, I've had three. 

I've seen them go for this, though I'd be happier 100 euros less.

The thing to check is a fully operational trussrod - the weak spot on the otherwise excellent JV, SQ and A series MIJ Squiers. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited June 2017
    Had one of those when they were first released. Fabulous bass. Lightweight. Very well made. Easy to play.  That said I don't think I'd pay all that for one now unless it was excellent condition. They have a bit of a mythic rep and prices are high, that one looks in good condition though the photos are poor. I don't know of a difference in JV, doesn't that just mean made in Japan? They all were iirc.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    JV = Japanese Vintage series. Excellent instruments. I have one of the Stratocasters from that period.

The one thing that I would question is the originality of the one-ply black pickguard on a Fifties style two-colour sunburst finish. I would expect thin, single ply white. I do not recall Squier ever stretching to a gold anodised plate.

The vendor is asking top Dollar. For that, you should expect one hundred per cent originality. I suspect that the cost of the tech work has been factored in to the price.

Be seeing you.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited June 2017
    You can read about the various JV models here ... http://21frets.com
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    edited June 2017
    JV = Japanese Vintage series. Excellent instruments. I have one of the Stratocasters from that period.

The one thing that I would question is the originality of the one-ply black pickguard on a Fifties style two-colour sunburst finish. I would expect thin, single ply white. I do not recall Squier ever stretching to a gold anodised plate.

The vendor is asking top Dollar. For that, you should expect one hundred per cent originality. I suspect that the cost of the tech work has been factored in to the price.

The white pickguard is included in the sale.

"The pots, pups and cloth covered wiring and caps are all original and the original white pick guard is present."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Overpriced, although not that much. I've never seen a JV of any description or condition actually sell for more than £700 in the real world, and basses tend to be a bit cheaper than guitars.

They gained their reputation when they were the only reasonably historically accurate and high-quality instruments made by Fender other than the very rare first series Custom Shop Reissues, which were also much more expensive. Nowadays, you can get Mexican or Japanese vintage reissues which are at least as well-made and accurate and have the 'right' name on the headstock, so JV values have levelled out, and I think it's unlikely they'll ever go up again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    What the guys said. JV series instruments are good but that's a bit too optimistic price wise. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    If a related hijack is acceptable; today I tried a Squier MIJ E-series P Bass in off-white with authentic finish relicing but otherwise fine; priced at £200. Any thoughts on these, and whether that's a fair price?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    My interest in that JV is the "1982" year as that is the year my wife and I got married. I think it is overpriced so will give it a miss unless the seller reduces his prices somewhat. Probably unlikely.  It is more likely that I will opt for a new Fender Mex Precision, based on the tone. My Aria bass cost little but is very generic tonal wise. When I played a real Fender bass I realised this. Maple or Rosewood fretboard? Colour? These are the choices I have to make. It was much easier in the old days when the choice was sunburst or sunburst......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rosewood is already becoming difficult to get on many Fender instruments. An inside source tells me that supplies of the chosen substitute wood - Pau Ferro - are going to take longer than first expected to become available. 

If you so much as think that you MIGHT want rosewood, grab it whilst you still can.
    Be seeing you.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7734
    @MattBanshee thats a good deal
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    If a related hijack is acceptable; today I tried a Squier MIJ E-series P Bass in off-white with authentic finish relicing but otherwise fine; priced at £200. Any thoughts on these, and whether that's a fair price?
    Fair, a little cheaper than they can go for but in the normal ballpark. They're nowhere near as sought-after as the JVs. As with the JVs and the MIJ/MIM Reissues, the MIM Standard Fenders have really killed the value of older 'lesser' Squiers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

The clue in the opening post is the letters ".ie" in the hyperlink. The Squier bass under discussion is in the Republic of Ireland, where all brand new musical gear is subject to a huge mark up. This is reflected in the used values. 
    Be seeing you.
    Rocker said:
    My interest in that JV is the "1982" year as that is the year my wife and I got married. I think it is overpriced so will give it a miss unless the seller reduces his prices somewhat. Probably unlikely.  It is more likely that I will opt for a new Fender Mex Precision, based on the tone. My Aria bass cost little but is very generic tonal wise. When I played a real Fender bass I realised this. Maple or Rosewood fretboard? Colour? These are the choices I have to make. It was much easier in the old days when the choice was sunburst or sunburst......
    There are different 1982 JV models, i.e. local, export, nitro with US hardware, poly with US hardware, poly with Japanese hardware, so which one is this? They all go for different prices, and some are more collectable than others. I posted the website above that has all the info.
    Good information but the real issue in this discussion is that, after extensive research, @Rocker has settled on getting a P style bass guitar but not settled on a budget. 

There is also the secondary issue of Republic Of Ireland pricing practices. The alternatives to paying through the nose locally are either to cross St. George's Channel or to buy unseen and trust couriers not to mash the merchandise. All options are a bit of a bind. Reluctance is understandable.
    Be seeing you.
    Good information but the real issue in this discussion is that, after extensive research, @Rocker has settled on getting a P style bass guitar but not settled on a budget. 
    I'm also on a look out for a P-Bass, and many bass players have nothing but good things to say about the Fender Roadworn series.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Freebird said:
    I'm also on a look out for a P-Bass, and many bass players have nothing but good things to say about the Fender Roadworn series.
    The classic 50s mim is awesome. It's my go-to gigging bass. Solid, reliable, good punchy Precision tone and good build quality.

As a workhorse they are unbeatable
    edited June 2017
    Freebird said:
    The classic 50s mim is awesome. It's my go-to gigging bass. Solid, reliable, good punchy Precision tone and good build quality.

As a workhorse they are unbeatable
    Both made in Mexico.