Miserable guitarist

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Really, who cares? If happy doesn't come naturally then maybe just try to look impassive and not stressed.

Whatever you do, avoid the temptation to do clichéd rockisms, let alone gurning... you'll just look like a twat. Worse, if it isn't natural you'll just look like you're actively trying to be a twat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think it's important to look at least interested. If you appear to be more interested in your pedalboard or just bored looking it sends a negative message. 
    Smiling whilst playing is fairly unnatural for me, I end up biting my lip and looking like a chipmunk  or possibly like I'm recieving anal sex. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Engage with the audience, sing the words to them, tap your foot,  nod your head, make a visible movement that you're into the groove with the music. I used to start out the same, always looking down at my shoes and be more concerned with my tone. No one cares in the audience on your tone, they just want to have a good time, so if you come across as bored or miserable they'll pick up on it!
    These days I'm a bit of a lunatic, doing silly poses, throwing things in the crowd and stagediving. Its great fun and people love to see that stuff!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3097
    cruxiform said:
    Voxman said:
    And if you want REALLY miserable - look no further than Morrisey.  He makes Marvin the manically depressed robot from Hitchhikers GTTG look positively euphoric!  Separated at birth perhaps? 

Image result for morrissey

Image result for marvin the manically depressed robot
    Maybe, but he's an inspirational singer and songwriter.
    Really?.....
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • harpdoodleharpdoodle Frets: 42
    Get a few wigs, some crazy glasses and a few inflatable plastic guitars. 
    I am pretty shy by nature, so onstage I adopt a 'joker' role and hide behind silly wigs and funny eyewear. 

At gigs I encourage the punters to wear my wigs and glasses, and there is always someone up for playing plastic air guitar after a few pints. This makes their evening too, they entertain themselves. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I am pretty shy by nature, so onstage I adopt a 'joker' role and hide behind silly wigs and funny eyewear. 

At gigs I encourage the punters to wear my wigs and glasses, and there is always someone up for playing plastic air guitar after a few pints. This makes their evening too, they entertain themselves. 

You are Krusty the Clown and ICM $5
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576

This is a good call. Many years ago as a spotty teenager I used to have a bag of hats (jumble sale specials) and would simply pop another one on for each song. Some would be appropriate like a bright woolly hat for Jamacan feel music or a cowboy hat for eagles etc. but others were ladies hats of baseball caps etc. and it was a feature of our performance. After a year or so I stopped doing it because confidence had grown and I could engage with the audience better, but it was my way of entertaining and being on stage.