Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• artinskiartinski Frets: 9
    edited June 2017
    Hi, I am Artinski, age 51 and from Bavaria, Germany. Yes, I am German. A couple of days ago I stumbled accross FretBoard and grew to value it. There are no decent German discussion boards for (electric) guitar players, so I registered here. I have been a hobbyist guitar player since age 35, an amateur drummer since age 40 - and a hobbyist bass player for about six months. I played the drums in a cover band comprised of hobbyists for about six years, then continued playing alone, just for the fun of it. During my band years I did not touch my guitars, and it was not until shortly after I had gotten myself a bass that I resuscitated my guitars. Now I play around with my different instruments, having fun, learning. :-)

Q1:  Where did you username come from? I chose it arbitrarily - it is the (old) name of a tiny town in Russia.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? In Germany's south, approximately 100 kilometers south of Oktoberfest City.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To get in touch with myself, with God, and with other human beings.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? A Diego Telecaster.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KozmykKozmyk Frets: 1
    Q1:  Where did your username come from? Dubbed thus by the punks of this fair town, many moons since. 30 odd years ago

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? SW Wales

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To improve or to live long enough to improve...

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Modulus Graphite Quantum 5

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? I think the oxide fell off that one ... Oh! You mean my favourite not my first... Well then, that would have to be "Many Are Called But Few Get Up" by The Man Band

Just an old fart here attempting to avoid reality by living a rock'n'roll fantasy....

• TomLTomL Frets: 2
    edited June 2017
    Hi everyone, I'm Tom, I'm 38 and I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne. I'm just a home guitar player of pretty limited ability. Despite that I seem to have acquired 14 guitars (nothing particularly expensive or valuable though). I'm looking to improve my playing ability and would like to get out playing/jamming with other people. Music wise, I'm a sucker for 80s/90s/2000s indie with a liberal amount of 60s/70s rock and some Blues thrown in. Aside from music and guitars, I love football (and have supported Newcastle United since I was 6 years old), history, books and Adidas trainers.

Q1: My username is from my name - I'm dead imaginative!

Q2: I'm in Newcastle upon Tyne - Geordie born and bred.

Q3: I'm too old to become famous now! I enjoy messing about at home, but as I said in my intro - it'd be cool to get together with others.

Q4: I don't have anything flash or particularly impressive. I do cheap and cheerful but I have a few modded and upgraded Epiphones and Squiers in my ranks. My best is probably my Gibson Les Paul - it's only a 50s Tribute T though.

Q5: I can't give a #1 track as 1 is too limiting! I could chose something now and in 5 mins I'd change my mind. Even if I was to list a top 100 songs, it'd be different in 5 minutes time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMoneyBigMoney Frets: 7

Q1:  Where did you username come from? It's a catchphrase of mine. I'm also unemployed and don't have big money. I will some day

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Canada

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? Become a famous YouTube musician

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Ibanez AG-95 Artcore Series Semi-Hallow

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Favorite track ever? Wow. Um. Nothing Else Matters by Metallica

The 3 elements of western music are: melody, harmony, and rhythm. In my fingerstyle arrangements, I play them all at once. Check them out here
  • infuzedinfuzed Frets: 5

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Handed to me by my songwriting partner, many years ago, based off of my jazz infused rock approach supposedly...

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?
      Achieved a few but now more modest in that I would like just to be in a great band again with thoughtful, creative musicians.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?
    My Tom Anderson Hollow Classic

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Pat Metheny, Have you heard

• edited June 2017
    Musteatbrain here. I borked my account access to enforce a break.
    coming back as musteatbrainsrevenge. Possibly as a temporary measure, if I get banned for sort of having 2 accounts but access only to one
    Hello again!!!
  • Hi all, I've sort of lurked on here a little for the past few months but having recently bought a guitar I thought I'd sign up!

I'm Rik and I've played bass (badly) since I was about 16. I briefly owned an SG, which mostly sat on a stand for a few years untouched until I sold it! In the last few weeks I bought a used Yamaha Pacifica which I've actually been learning to play this time, and I'm already better than I ever was in the years I owned my previous guitar.

Q1:  Where did you username come from? 

I'm a big Motley Crue fan!

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Leeds, in beautiful Yorkshire, UK

I'd like to learn to play, like properly learn instead of just noodling. I'm still mainly a bassist, but I'd love to be able to play confidently with both - at the moment I still dislike playing in front of strangers in music stores!

My favourite bit of kit is my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. It's the best instrument I've ever owned, hands down!

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Oof, that's a tough one... it changes every few months but right now I'd have to go with Lost Art of Keeping a Secret by Queens of the Stone Age

• WillowWillow Frets: 4
    Long time player - 30 years plus - played in loads of bands, nothing too serious - had lots of gear over the years !
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 178

Hello.  I'm a 30-something musician in Edinburgh, as much bass as guitar.  I have casually browsed past this forum enough times that I though it was probably worth joining.  As well as playing guitar and bass in a couple of bands, I like to build and tinker with stuff - I'm working on an amp build at the moment. 

I have great difficulty coming up with forum user names that I don't later cringe at, so I just went with my name this time. 

I'm in Edinburgh. 

I'm more or less a dilettante musically - it's important to me but I've never pursued it all that seriously.  So I guess I would like to appear on an album (however niche) that is remembered for something other than being a footnote in someone elses career! 

Hmm, it's not a guitar, but probably my 1900-ish German/Czech double bass. 

Like everyone, it varies.  But "Steal Softly Through Snow" by Captain Beefheart always causes some sort of emotional response. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ruffdog64Ruffdog64 Frets: 1
    HI everyone, i`m Harvey i`m 53 and from Yateley Hampshire, UK. i`m a carpenter , i like photography, running and music and i`m going to try again to play the guitar my Name Ruffdog comes from when i used to work on building sites and the roof tilers used to call us ruffdogs as an insult but i thought hey that`s a good nickname, musical aims, none other than playing for my own pleasure 
  • JiJoeJiJoe Frets: 6

Q1 The action film - no connection - just easy for me to remember

Q2 Fife in Scotland

Q3 To enjoy playing into old age. I've had so much out of music through my life and I'd like to think that it will always be there.

Q4 My clip-on Korg strobe tuner. It's just that little bit more accurate and pretty much anything can sound good as long as it's in tune.

Q5 Harsh cut and not easy to answer. Aja Steely Dan - it's got a bit of everything I need in it. 
  • Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I've just taking playing my guitars back up this week after almost 20 years of not touching them. My equipment is pretty basic and all from the mid 1990s, minus my accoustic, which is an Italian made Eko from the 1960s. I have a Fender Jag-stang (the forgotten Kurt Cobain designed guitar) and a Squier Strat. Not much in terms of effects and amps, just an old Zoom 40-40 and a 15w Park Marshall amp. I'm UK based and really enjoying playing again. I have a load of questions so am likely to be on here quite a bit!
  • chris_t_johnsonchris_t_johnson Frets: 0
    edited July 2017
    Hi there. I'm not really sure how to go about this, so please excuse me if I'm posting in the wrong place or breaching any forum etiquette.

I'm not a guitarist myself, but just registered as I'm having to sell my brother's old guitar gear. I don't really know how to go about this, as I have absolutely no idea how much any of the various bits are worth. What should I do - just post in the classifieds and ask for sensible offers? Or is there somewhere else on the forum (here?) that I could list the bits to get some guidance?

Would really appreciate any help. Thanks.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @chris_t_johnson ; As the classifieds rules on here state that you have to post a price on goods for sale, just make threads in the relevant sections of the forum (guitar/bass/amps/effects/etc.) asking for valuation advice. Or check completed listings on eBay if the gear is fairly common stuff.
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 27

Hello! I've been playing a little over 20 years now but have lapsed in the past five or so due to life and some issues with my hands that have robbed me of some of my dexterity. Getting back into playing and trying to overcome frustration with my limitations now. By buying things mainly, as you do.

It's an Amon Tobin song that I used when I signed up for XBox Live and it stuck. I wanted Rhino Jockey but it was taken  :/

Irvine, Scotland. Home of Roy Aitken, Eddie Reader and the singer from Idlewild.

Pure enjoyment. I've been in bands before and enjoyed it although I never liked playing gigs, now I'm just happy to make a pleasing racket either alone or with friends, learn and improve.

My Fender Jaguar.

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

• damo_89damo_89 Frets: 9
    edited July 2017
    Hi, I've been playing solid for just over a year now after multiple attempts at starting to learn, I've finally got past the boring bit and really starting to enjoy playing.

Q1. My username is just my name really and year I was born, (I know boring) 

Q2. I'm from peterlee, little town near sunderland

Q3. Just enjoy playing for myself first and foremost, if I can entertain people by braying some chords then happy days lol

Q4. My Taylor 214ce

Q5. Metallica- nothing else matters

• AlfieWAlfieW Frets: 1

Q1:  Where did you username come from? Just my name

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? London UK & occasionaly Nuremberg, Germany 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To enjoy making music

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Black Les Paul Custom that I wired up like Frampton's 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Right now, Trains by Porcupine Tree

• finglasfinglas Frets: 1

Q1:  Where did you username come from? A Glen in Scotland that I've fished in for years.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Scotland, Glasgow. 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To learn some guitar which i think will allow me to appreciate and enjoy music some more.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Really, don't have one as of yet.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? difficult but i do love Gimme Shelter. 

• Q1:  Where did you username come from?

I like the idea that your dreams are your mind sorting garbled thoughts.

U.K., Wolverhampton 

To keep playing

VOX AC15

History by The Verve

• tweaknoobtweaknoob Frets: 2

I only started getting into pedals recently after appreciating how the group Girl Band manage to create incredible noises that don't sound like any particular instrument on stage with just a bassist, guitarist and a drummer. I've gotten into unorthodox glitchy effects and I'm a bit of a 'noob' so that's where it came from.

Edinburgh.

To make music that's interesting and new, without any pretence.

My Fender American strat - the original neck broke and replaced it with an American lefty neck I got for a good price (guitar is a righty). The feel to it is unbelievable. I also drunkenly 'reliced' the finish on a train once because I thought the finish looked too 'nice' - it now looks pretty unique I think.

Patti Smith  —  Gloria. Doesn't get old.