Fretboard Jam - 2017 Leicester - 2nd September - Running Order V4 Now up!!

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
edited September 2017 in Events
No, not the strawberry or raspberry preserve, but a meet up of board folk for a day of playing and social.

The emphasis of this Jam is newcomers, those with less experience or none at all. However all levels of experience very much welcome.

@Octatonic has very kindly volunteered to play drums, and I will do my fair share on Bass to make sure there is a back line.

If there is a keys player who wants to come along then very welcome also.

When? September - date to be finalised
Where? Quad studios, Leicester

@Alnico will be in charge of what we are playing, who and when on the day. (Hope you don't mind chap!)

I will run logistics and do the booking when the time comes and is fixed

This thread is to register interest, chat through details and ideas, and to let you all know when and where it is happening.

I must emphasise that this is a friendly meet up where beginners and those with no experience of playing live or with other musicians are given an opportunity to come along and learn some stuff and get some valuable experience.

There will be no sniggering and pointing, and no dick-waving. It's hard enough for folks to have the balls to turn up and play let alone get sniggered at. Any sniggering or derisory comments and I will personally beat the culprit myself with the blunt end of a Telecaster! 

So, if you are experienced and want to come along and impart some knowledge, share your skills and help others out then you are incredibly welcome and will be received with open arms. 

If you are a newbie, not confident, have no experience and scared rigid by the idea of a load of us in a room watching you play for the first time - please please do come along. We have all been where you are without exception. Even if you know 3 chords badly, we will work out something and get you playing along. 

I am sure plenty of gear will be brought along, which means it might also be good for less confident folks to try out some other kit (owner permitting!) and see what they think to it. 

Go!

UPDATE!

The good folk at D'Addario have agreed to send along a care package (strings, possibly t-shirts and a bunch of other "stuff") for attendees. One reason for this is that if some folk are doing walkthroughs of setting up a guitar etc, it's going to be grease the wheels to have plenty of sets of strings kicking around without people being forced to go and buy some.

Another reason is...well, it's nice, and anything that doesn't get used from the box will be spread amongst anyone who's still there at the end of the day. 

Show your appreciation, and give 'em a click right here...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Meant to add, although I'm not a pro, I'm going to bring a set of tools along so if anyone not very confident in the world of set ups is struggling with action/truss rod setting and so forth I can impart some basic knowledge to get you started.

I remember how nerve wracking it was the first time I tentatively moved a truss rod...!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I was at the last Quad meeting for tge Knackered Jack tour. First time playing with other people and I hadn't been playing that long. I played the riff to Satisfaction by the Rolling Stones, possibly the most basic part you could think of so don't think you have to be Steve Vai and impress everyone, it's about the experience and having fun!

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I'd love to join - if I'm not away with work. I am based in Leicester and more than happy to help out with kit if needed. 

I'm not that brilliant and the chance to jam is very very rare, so this is awesome. 

Please se let me know how I can help!!
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1771
    Hmm, I'm interested in this. Would be good (I think) to put some faces to names and have a jam. I'm in Sheffield so not too far away
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited July 2017
    Everything @Bridgehouse has posted in the OP says it all perfectly.
    I'll add that while I'm not a 'Tech', I have a guitar-centric toolbox that I'll bring along and given 20 minutes or so I too can take a rough playing guitar and make it play a lot better, providing it doesn't need in depth work like fret levelling etc but a restring and some tweaking won't take long and can make a huge difference if you want that doing.

I'll hire a car for the weekend so I'll bring as much of my gear as I can fit in there which will be a variety of guitars and a few amps plus the GT100 effects unit and I'm sure everyone else who's coming will bring gear so if there's someone that wants to attend but can't bring their guitar or can bring guitar but not the amp, don't worry. Quad provide some really nice amps anyway and there'll be enough gear to go around everyone. Please don't let that stop you.

So we need to register Interest.
    If @Bridgehouse does the booking we need a minimum of 10 people who are serious about attending and we can call definites.
    Including myself and bridgehouse I'll put those up here and please copy and paste yourself in if you can definitely say you'll definitely turn up and you don't mind paying between £7 and £10 up front to bridgehouse......

1 - Bridgehouse
    2 - Alnico
    3 - Octatonic
    4 - TheOtherDennis
    5 -
    6 -
    7 -
    8 -
    9 -
    10 -

If we're lucky enough to get more than 10 people who can say for 100% sure they'll attend and they don't mind paying up front then great it'll cost less for everyone. Once we've made the booking anyone else who wants to attend can do so for free or chuck a couple of quid at bridgehouse when they get there...........or buy some coffees.........yeah, I think I prefer a round of coffees bought. Let's see what happens.

As well as that point of order, we need to nail down a date that everyone who wants to attend can definitely make.
    I'm easy, do it whenever you like, I'll fit in so get discussing that and we'll give ourselves lets say 14 days before we make the booking for everyone to thrash out what date works best and get their contribution to bridgehouse.

So to what do people want to play?
    Well I agree with @octatonic and I think to keep it simple, but that doesn't mean boring by any stretch.

Let me know what songs you'd like to have a go at and between the 3 of us we'll put something together for you to jam with us to.
    I can sing to a point, I'm sure others can too and Den will kindly print us off some lyric sheets once we finalise the list of songs.
    I think if we make a list of 20 songs people can choose from then that'll give us enough to work from. I'm not saying any one of us will play all 20 but for myself, bridgehouse and Octatonic it won't be difficult for us to know those songs well enough to jam them with you, so the list is for people to choose from NOT for people to learn ALL 20. (Except us three !)
    OK?

Let's have some decent suggestions whereby there's a chance of playing it live and nothing too complicated to give us all a chance. There may well be some very talented players attending in which case we're lucky but we shouldn't aim too high and then that kind of thing will be a bonus.
    I'll get us going with one I know I can stand up and do without thinking....

Roadhouse Blues - The Doors

I'm sure Mustang Sally was mentioned earlier as well and @octatonic will have some other suitable songs so I'll leave this open for him to chip in and let's see what we can all come up with.

How's that?

@digitalscream ........can we have this 'Stickied' please?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16527
    Is it just about the playing?  I really do struggle in that area but would be up for a meet anyway... and like Alnico, I could bring a few tools etc.
    WezV said:
    Is it just about the playing?  I really do struggle in that area but would be up for a meet anyway... and like Alnico, I could bring a few tools etc.
    No !
    And that's a really good point, thanks Wez.
    If ANYONE wants to just turn up and watch, maybe just to get an idea of what goes on or simply to meet everyone and hear some music, PLEASE do attend. You will all be welcome.

The room we're using will easily hold 30 people and Quad is such a great place with a MASSIVE foyer and bar area.

Certainly not just about the playing @WezV  - more of a beginner meet up with experience on hand - playing, setup, gear choices, the lot...
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Add me as a payer @Alnico ;
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1531
    In principle, I would love to attend, but it would be rather dependent on the date as work could easily get in the way otherwise. Plus, living in central Scotland would mean a fair old journey - but on that front would be more than happy to share driving duties. I am very much on the 'Satisfaction' end of the playing scale, but am quite happy to strum 3 chords :)

Adam
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26397
    Alnico said:
    @digitalscream ........can we have this 'Stickied' please?
    Done :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited July 2017
    Cool, glad we're up for this, it should be fun. It's not quite gasfest, but it'll be a gas nonetheless.

I'll chip in with basic bass, and if it comes to it some probably slightly off tune vocals too (depending on the song).

The reception area is indeed colossal, but I'm not too sure about the availability of teas and coffees. I know you can get them on some days, and there is a cafe-style counter thing with cold drinks in it (bottles and cans of fizz and water) that are always available for sale, but if @Bridgehouse asks when he books, we'll know for certain what's available on the day.

Any sniggering or derisory comments and I will personally beat the culprit myself with the blunt end of a Telecaster! 

Should anyone doubt the efficacy of such an approach, I may be wrong, but I believe that amongst others, Keith Richards has proved that you can not only do that but continue to play the said Tele afterwards with no ill effects to the guitar. The victim, on the other hand...
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    Well I think we have 6 so far - I'll do a totaliser list later. 

Will check for for teas and coffees as well.

Now any more of you shy types that want a very forgiving environment to play with other musicians - now is your chance!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5846
    I'm quite tempted with this, happy to do additional percussion and bass if  needed 
  • I said I was defo in, innit.... and put *No Limit on the tracklist, so remember your sugar dummies and glow sticks

*may not be required :)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11380
    Cool, glad we're up for this, it should be fun. It's not quite gasfest, but it'll be a gas nonetheless.

I'll chip in with basic bass, and if it comes to it some probably slightly off tune vocals too (depending on the song).

The reception area is indeed colossal, but I'm not too sure about the availability of teas and coffees. I know you can get them on some days, and there is a cafe-style counter thing with cold drinks in it (bottles and cans of fizz and water) that are always available for sale, but if @Bridgehouse asks when he books, we'll know for certain what's available on the day.

Any sniggering or derisory comments and I will personally beat the culprit myself with the blunt end of a Telecaster! 

Should anyone doubt the efficacy of such an approach, I may be wrong, but I believe that amongst others, Keith Richards has proved that you can not only do that but continue to play the said Tele afterwards with no ill effects to the guitar. The victim, on the other hand...
    If you really want to hurt someone shouldn't you use the pointy end of a BC Rich?
    @crunchman - that would involve buying one...
  • @crunchman ;I guess it depends on the type of damage one wishes to do, really. ;)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I'll absolutely be there if I'm free, more info needed before I can give a final answer though. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you