Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

These all have a song structure but the ability to solo over at a variety of ability levels

Red House - Hendrix

Foxy lady - Hendrix

plus my favourite song-

Hard to handle - Black Crowes

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118

Some that I could probably batter through without too much additional "homework"

Gary Moore - Walking by myself

Led Zep - The Ocean

Peter Green - Man Of The World (a bit sombre maybe?)

This is always fun: Joan Jett - I Love Rock n Roll........... In fact I reckon I'll claim that one!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Alnico said:
    octatonic said:
    I suggested Midnight Hour, Call me The Breeze, Shake a Tail Feather, Let's Stick Together in the first thread.

Testify by RATM is a great one and I already know it on drums.
    Added - Who did Midnight hour and Shake a tailfeather?
    Sorry I haven't slept in 3 days I can't remember.
    Midnight Hour- Wilson Pickett
    Shake a Tailfeather - the version to do is the Blues Brothers but the original is by the Five Du-Tones
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited July 2017
    Can I bung Black and I am mine by Pearl Jam please? Both relatively straight forward for jamming but with something interesting for the more experienced player... Plus I like singing them 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    All song suggestions now updated on the list above.
    :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    edited July 2017
    Can I please throw "Only In Dreams" By Weezer onto the list (runs for cover)

Edit: also "Champagne Supernova" by Oasis, its got about a dozen guitar tracks on it so you could have three guitarists in there if you like, its very easy to play, good for a jam from some of us mediocre guitarists.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Can I also add:

Polly by Nirvana
    Nemo by Nightwish

Nemo might be hard to get a singer for as the lady who sings the original is very operatic!

Not saying that I can play these at all, just been listening to them a lot lately and would love to be able to play even a bit if them.

Cheers
    Ok done.

On a slightly more boring, practical level.......

We're approaching 50 songs now.

We won't be picking 50 songs and we won't be learning anywhere near that many so, by all means keep the suggestions coming everyone but PLEASE do remember that this weekend we have to pick realistic songs that are easy enough for people to actually pull off in a band context having never rehearsed together and had only had around 6 weeks to practice them. Now I'm thinking of the beginners but I include myself in that category (Humbly) due to my severe lack of practice over the last 12 months so by all means we can try some of these songs but it's already been mentioned that the few songs by 'Extreme' might be asking a bit much of us, no matter how good we are as individuals and there are a few others on that list which sound "Not that difficult" when you listen to them on a Hi-Fi stereo from a full, magic powered studio recording all compressed and tailored to sound amazing etc.................You try playing that with a bunch of people you've never played with before and minimal practice.
    All I'm saying is that from this list there'll be some that are useable and do-able and as the numbers keep increasing, so will the amount of songs we DON'T use. Please don't feel bad towards us if we don't pick your song choice ok?
    We'll discuss it among ourselves this weekend and probably discuss the final list once we think we've got it sussed so it's not 100% down to us three but we're going to form what is essentially the 'House Band', especially for a lot of the beginners (Thinking of you guys again!) so us three need time to learn these songs properly so we don't let YOU down.

There's a lot to do and a lot to sort out so let's keep going and we'll call it a day on the list by the end of the week.
    It doesn't matter if the list hits 100 songs, we will still only pick the number that we feel is appropriate and then look for the songs that will work so keep the suggestions flowing.

Outside of the purpose of this, that song list is a great resource for people to look back to, maybe in months to come for ideas for other Jam Sessions we organise, or that individuals go to themselves so keep 'em coming and I'll keep updating it.
    Well done so far everyone.

If anyone suggests 'Coldplay' in any way, shape or form I WILL shoot them.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Alnico said:

If anyone suggests 'Beigeplay' in any way, shape or form I WILL shoot them.
    Ftfy

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    edited July 2017
    BTW - thanks all for soundtracking my afternoon at work, I'm adding these all to my Spotify playlist as they get added so that anyone can listen to them

Edit: Well anyone with Spotify ;)
    Alnico said:

If anyone suggests 'Beigeplay' in any way, shape or form I WILL shoot them.
    Ftfy
    My point entirely.
    LOL.
    Ok,............UPDATE !

I've been discussing this with the other two behind the scenes and we've agreed that we should close the suggestions for the songs now, contrary to what I just posted a little earlier.

It was said that a list too large will make our job more difficult to choose the right songs and we're only looking for between 12 and 15 songs as a base to stand on, so to speak.
    From that list that we choose, there'll be enough to cover a few different genres and ability levels and we also need to remember that we only have 5 hours, there's a lot of social activity going on and there's inevitably going to be setting up time in between songs etc PLUS we want time for some much more basic jamming with beginners and with the amount of gear that's coming along, there's also that aspect as well so..........

We'll spend a day or few going through the suggestions and see what's going to work, then come back here and discuss it with you lot and we'll go from there.
    We've got almost 50 now so there's plenty for us to work with behind the scenes and the point of stopping the suggestions now (Which Is a good point that my burned out brain hadn't taken into account) is that we've already got a lot to discuss in terms of picking the right songs to accommodate everyone whilst remembering it's a Jam session, not a showcase.

I hope that makes sense to you all and thanks to everyone who's given some input here.
    We'll get back to you all here in a day or few to discuss a refined list of sings and then whoever needs help with them can freely discuss that and ask here. That's what this thread is for.

Ok?

Cool.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Cool indeed.  Massive thanks for being the grown-ups here and organising this and all the behind the scenes work too.  Thanks also for keeping the beginners in mind - that's a big part of why I signed up.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Oh, things move so quickly when at work... 

I was going to suggest Hawkwind's Silver Machine, but hey ho ....

• Most Snow Patrol stuff are not very taxing to play.

I won't put in any suggestions as they will start of a wave of 'eh!, who, wtf' comments :s 

If Helter Skelter was on the list I would jump at the chance to sing it.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Vinylfan said:
    Cool indeed.  Massive thanks for being the grown-ups here and organising this and all the behind the scenes work too.  Thanks also for keeping the beginners in mind - that's a big part of why I signed up.
    I've wanted to do one for a while, and as said earlier - if it's a success I'll do more and in other locations for others to have a go at
    Vinylfan said:
    I've wanted to do one for a while, and as said earlier - if it's a success I'll do more and in other locations for others to have a go at
    +1

Those who came along to the Jam Sessions I ran in 2015 know how much I loved doing this for you all until my health got in the way.
    To be able to do it again and also have the support and help of @Bridgehouse ; and @octatonic has made it much more of a practical reality and more of an event than I could possibly have organised on my own.

The success of this and repeat future events is something I want to be a big part of.
    My personal thanks to those two for being such great support in many ways throughout this great event.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I have about 300 songs in my repertoire that I sing at gigs with my NO REHEARSAL EVER band. You can view them at
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yCjKJEglc8468JQwEG7fyunIC-bqUEcBYZLXZJhtrZo
    The first 180 songs I have marked in as jammable - playable off the bat with me just shouting out the chords, or maybe a very simple chord sheet. The next 60 or so are semi-jammable - would probably need to have basic chordsheets. The rest would need chordsheets with a structure of verse, chorus, middle8, chords for solo, etc.

I suggest you make a large selection of these available for people to play along with - there's already some overlap with Alnico's list ;-) 

BTW, my request to do Another Brick hasn't made it onto your list yet, Alnico! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    A suggestion I have from jam sessions I have done in the past is to have a "Last number" where everyone who wants to takes a solo and everyone who wants to takes a turn playing rhythm behind the soloists. It makes for a really satisfying climax to the session.

There are loads of likely candidates on the list I linked to in the post above, but my top pick would be "Comfortably Numb" - the end solo has very easy chords that go by at a steady pace, it's inspiring to play and listen to, and easy enough that everyone's most basic B minor pentatonic licks will sound great :-)
    bigjon said:
    I have about 300 songs in my repertoire that I sing at gigs with my NO REHEARSAL EVER band. You can view them at
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yCjKJEglc8468JQwEG7fyunIC-bqUEcBYZLXZJhtrZo

Can I keep a copy of that @bigjon ?