Fretboard Jam 2017 - Logistics

What's Hot

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Based in Histon just north Of Cambridge. I'll make my own way there, to retain maximum flexibility with the family. May bring the car but don't want to promise lifts in case I end up getting the train instead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    bigjon said:
    Based in Histon just north Of Cambridge. I'll make my own way there, to retain maximum flexibility with the family. May bring the car but don't want to promise lifts in case I end up getting the train instead.
    Ok on that basis I'll not put you on the list as it'll just take up space :) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    i'm only in Rugby, but happy to help out as I can be in Leicester whenever. 
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844
    Although I can't attend - 99.9% of people on this forum live in one of three places - the midlands - the Far East or Scotland !
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Okay, a quick update.

Have been having a chat with the other organisers, and I've noticed a few things:

- We have a full complement of 30 people. That's a lot.
    - We have a mix of experienced, not so experienced, and very inexperienced
    - There is a massive song list suggested with varied tastes and massively varied abilities
    - We only have 5 hours to cram in as much as possible
    - You can please some of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time
    - It's all about having fun, with an emphasis on helping inexperienced players experience what playing with a band is really like
    - We have more than one drummer and bass player on hand

See where I'm going?

30 people paying £8 is a lot - considering the first room booking was £80.

So, I'm going to book another room on the 2nd Sept. This means we can have an 'experienced' room, and an 'experienced' song list, and a 'inexperienced' room with an 'inexperienced' song list. Obviously on the day people can drift around wherever they would like to - listen to jams, take part, ogle gear, fiddle about with stuff and all sorts of other stuff as well. It also means twice the time - 10 hours of Jam time, not 5, so more chance for people to play what they want. I think with this amount of time, it means everyone will get at least one chance to play one song they really want to, and probably two. It will mean some will get a chance to play a lot more, but ultimately that depends on how keen you are and how much confidence you have. 

Once done, we will publish two lists of songs - Experienced, and Inexperienced. You'll then get a chance to declare an interest in songs from either list, learn them, and then on the day we can run those lists in tandem and people will get more of a chance to play what they want. 

I don't propose to increase the number of places as that will just compound the problem. However, I am putting thought to getting an "Up Norf" jam and a "Dahn Sahf" jam up and running for October/November time as well.. Bear with me on that.

I'll book tomorrow (if they have another room free!) 

If anyone has any massive objection then let me know by tomorrow. However, I reserve the right to ignore you and book anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Personally I vote against. As an "experienced" person, I'm looking forward to making some music with fellow-travellers of all abilities and confidence levels, hopefully helping to give others a revelatory moment as they play something in a band in front of an audience of 25 and it sounds good. Anticipating quality craic as thirty people gather in the same room and have some fun. Nonetheless, however you decide to run the event I'll do my best to help it be as good as it can be in whatever format, and thanks for your hard work organising. :-)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Ha! Are you experienced?

Two rooms - great idea. If the costs are covered, then why not? But possibly mix it up, so both standards in each studio, along with a mix of easy/intermediate songs. Just a thought.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I've replied in the other thread. Let's keep the discussion in there for now.

My reply is quite long, but:

TL/DR:

It's 5 hours, 30 people, 1 room, most likely to be 18 songs in that time. Maybe up to 25 if we are really slick. 

If we are happy with that, then great - and if we are, please accept the fact that our song list will be 25 max, and probably 18.

Second room option doubles our potential song list. It splits the group up, but it's a floating thing where people can go where they want. 

We are inexperienced amateurs at organising this and making it up as we go along. It's a lot of work to do it and we are bound to get things wrong. So bear with us.
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I'm heading up from that there London. I'm quite happy to get the train up, unless anyone fancies being stuck in a car with me :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Don't know what part of London you are in obviously, but depending on how much of a ballache it was for you, if you could make your way to Harlow Town (about 40 mins on the train  from Liverpool Street) id be happy to pick you up and give you a lift.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    @Nikko ;

I'm in North London so Harlow is doable. Thanks for the offer, I'll take you up on that :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

@Nikko I've taken the liberty of updating the main thread... I'm guessing that makes you full 

No worries @TheBlueWolf happy to do it and for the company. Will tie up with you closer to the day with times. 

Cheers. 
    Thanks @Legionreturns, yeah, space filled. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    What's the current breakdown on those driving and those potentially having a few beers afterwards and staying in Leicester?

If no-one is in the second category, then I'll stay sober and drive home after the jam, if not then I might consider making an night of it (I don't get out much)!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    Unfortunately, I've got a silly early start on the Sunday, so I won't be staying. 
    I'll probably stay and have a beer. Depending on how many others do I'll crawl into a Travelodge or camp site, if not, I'll just have soft drinks and then bugger off

edited July 2017
    I proposed a curry on one of these threads. So far no one has jumped at the suggestion. 

Logistically, I will need a secure location in which to store the gear if we're going out on the town afterwards. I'm not happy to leave it in a car.
    edited July 2017
    I'd definitely be down with the idea of food. Something more sociable and less expensive like a bbq perhaps? I wonder if they'd let us use a corner if the car park? 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    I might put myself in the up for a meal then head back down category, I'm used to staying sober!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...