The S'Crap Bass - for the interested

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
edited July 2017 in Bass
Blatantly stolen (with his blessing) from Bridgehouse's Discardocaster thread.

The brief is to use old/discarded/used parts to make up a Bitsabass on the cheap, sticking to old and used parts. 

I will document it here and probably keep going modding it and swapping out bits and pieces as time goes by.

Unlike Bridgehouse, I do not anticipate attending the Forum Jam. I have a gig in Hull. (No, folks. I'm not deputising for Colin Sell on I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue.) Actually, I am supposed to be recording with my song writing collaborator. 
Be seeing you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Which style are you going for?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    I have started a WTB Discussion, seeking bass parts. 

Obviously, there is some interchangeability between Precision, Jazz and 'Ray wooden parts. If somebody offers modern-shaped five string stuff, it will be that. A Warwick/Rockbass or Harley Benton imitation thereof would be equally welcome.  

The thing that will not work is scale length mismatches. Mustang/Musicmaster/Bronco necks only with the corresponding bodies. 

If offered, I could try a Gibson/Epiphone design. A Yamaha is always a good basis for a project. Last month, I spotted a defretted Attitude Plus on eBay. 

Part of the fun is to let the board offers determine what the instrument is going to be.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950

If offered, I could try a Gibson/Epiphone design.
    If you fancy a very extreme project, a friend of mine is selling a '64 Epiphone Rivoli body…

Don't get too excited, it has a badly-made replacement neck which needs to come off, and no finish or hardware other than the bridge post inserts and the tone choke which is resin'ed into the body under it (and which does work, I've metered it).

The problem is that to pay to do it properly, the likely cost of repair - new neck, refinish, all new hardware - will be pretty close to the finished value, or maybe even higher, since a Rivoli with all that done is not going to be a very valuable thing regardless of its origins. The only good thing is that the body is actually in fairly nice condition - binding intact and no significant damage.

I have thought about buying it and doing it myself, but I'm not sure I have the time and the desire to put that much work into it, so I've suggested he sells it as-is for whatever it's worth… which I would guess is not much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Your extreme suggestion is intriguing but falls outside the scope of Da Project.

I anticipate some sort of P/J mongrel. These are by far the most commonly available parts. I certainly would not rule out a twenty first century Epiphone with a screwed-on neck. 
    Be seeing you.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8016
    ICBM said:
    If you fancy a very extreme project, a friend of mine is selling a '64 Epiphone Rivoli body…

Step aside - this sounds like a job for HarrySeven! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oi! That's my line.
    Be seeing you.
    You got any bits yet?
    Nope. Had a few offers but, as you know, it is unwise to accept, say, a neck without knowing the pocket size on the body to which it will eventually be fitted.

I am currently undecided whether to cheat (I have a Hohner bitsabass right here), to give Northwest Guitar Parts a try or to give up altogether.

The moment that I relocated this thread to the Bass discussions zone, communications dwindled to almost zero.
    Be seeing you.
    Nope. Had a few offers but, as you know, it is unwise to accept, say, a neck without knowing the pocket size on the body to which it will eventually be fitted.

I am currently undecided whether to cheat (I have a Hohner bitsabass right here), to give Northwest Guitar Parts a try or to give up altogether.

The moment that I relocated this thread to the Bass discussions zone, communications dwindled to almost zero.
    Always a risk with that. 

What about a cheapo unfinished body off the bay or something?

You could move to Making &Modding then ;)