Fretboard Jam 2017 - Song List Thread - Running Order V4

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    bigjon said:
    A suggestion I have from jam sessions I have done in the past is to have a "Last number" where everyone who wants to takes a solo and everyone who wants to takes a turn playing rhythm behind the soloists. It makes for a really satisfying climax to the session.

There are loads of likely candidates on the list I linked to in the post above, but my top pick would be "Comfortably Numb" - the end solo has very easy chords that go by at a steady pace, it's inspiring to play and listen to, and easy enough that everyone's most basic B minor pentatonic licks will sound great :-)
    I'll talk to the other two about that.

We said we'll choose from the list we have but if there is the opportunity and time to do that, it's not a bad idea and 'Comfy' is a fairly good song to do it with.

For the beginners who might feel daunted by a Pink Floyd song, the chords for that and the basic rhythm is not difficult so if you were to play in the situation Jon is talking about there, you'll be playing alongside lots of other people, all of which you can watch and follow, there's not that many chords to remember and because you're not the only rhythm guitarist you can always turn your guitar's volume down a bit of you're not sure or until you are..........etc

What I'm saying here is don't worry.

Also swapping solo's is a stage technique that's good for everyone to watch and learn so even if you're not going to take a solo, it's still good to watch how it's done. Everyone's style varies so different players will take and then 'Hand-Over' a solo a slightly different way.

As an idea Jon I quite like it so I'll talk about it and we'll keep it as an idea for the last song. I'm not saying we will do it but if we can it's a good one to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    bigjon said:
    I have about 300 songs in my repertoire that I sing at gigs with my NO REHEARSAL EVER band. You can view them at
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yCjKJEglc8468JQwEG7fyunIC-bqUEcBYZLXZJhtrZo

That's an incredibly useful list & links - thanks for sharing @bigjon.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Alnico said:
    Ok done.

On a slightly more boring, practical level.......

We're approaching 50 songs now.

We won't be picking 50 songs and we won't be learning anywhere near that many so, by all means keep the suggestions coming everyone but PLEASE do remember that this weekend we have to pick realistic songs that are easy enough for people to actually pull off in a band context having never rehearsed together and had only had around 6 weeks to practice them.

SNIP

If anyone suggests 'Coldplay' in any way, shape or form I WILL shoot them.
    :)
    It's tempting for people to pick songs they like, instead of songs that are easy. Also people will be listening to them, so a 30 min Generic Dentist Blues in E is going to sound boring quick. Also trying Bohemium Rapsody is going to crash and burn.  So my suggestions including ones I dont like are... 

All Right Now (shudder) in A 3 chords and a fairly easy solo if you dont try the vibrato. 
    It Dont Matter Now by George Ezra not everyones cup of tea but in E 3 chords and the relative minor, minimum words and scope for solos as the main riff is E and A. Also it's not Blooze which is fine and dandy. 
    Cuz I Luv You Slade 3 chords in D minor with scope for improv and again not Blooze. 
    Black Magic Woman Fleetwood Mac. Very much a blues jam in Dm. Improv city for sunburst LP old geezers. 
    Gimme Shelter basically one chord, easy to solo over and in C#m I'm specifically picking different keys. 
    American Woman-Guess Who. One riff B D E. Scope for solos. 
    I Need You tonight INXS basically one chord. 

Stolen from the list

Ever fall in love E
    Pretty vacant A 
    Free Fallin F?
    500 miles E (less than jake version with feedback, lovely). 

I'm not going to get sulky if none of these are chosen but the principle I believe is to give those of us who are lacking in confidence (including me) something easy to play to and/or solo over or at least watch others do it and learn. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    slacker said:

........................the principle I believe is to give those of us who are lacking in confidence (including me) something easy to play to and/or solo over or at least watch others do it and learn. 

That's exactly what we are doing.

Also, as has already been said the 'Songs to learn' element is just one part of the day so we're picking out about 12-15 songs from the list which we jointly decided yesterday to close as it approached 50 songs.
    We've got enough suggestions now.
    We're working on which songs that'll be over these next few days and we'll post them here on Sunday/Monday.
    As well as the songs there'll be some tuition of some description for the absolute beginners and *some* generic jamming but i agree, too much of 12 bar blues is going to get boring. That was indeed why we decided to give the jam some structure in the first place.

I'll put those songs you suggested on a backup list but as of yesterday we already had more than enough to choose from and as has been said a few times now, the day is being structured for everyone, not just the beginners. We want to encourage those who don't have a lot of experience and we want to see them enjoy themselves and gain some experience but there's also going to be some seasoned talent there too and we want to give those guys a chance to show what's possible whilst enjoying themselves in the process. It's fair to say that the more experienced players are putting in some effort to help the beginners and we want those guys to have something that fits their level just as much as we want the new guys to have something they feel confident with.

The overall view is that the day is for everyone and with the entire afternoon and all that's going on as well as the music, we think there will be something for everyone there.

Does that make sense?
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Makes sense to me. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've edited the thread title to close the song suggestions for the moment - we have a big list to look through, co-ordinate and then get a definitive list together.

I'm conscious that we need to get a whole bunch of materials together for everyone to look through and learn as they want to - and so to do this, we need a little bit of time to do some admin and sort stuff out.

Once we have done this (day jobs permitting!) we will publish a suggested list for comment/discussion, but in essence to ensure we can have a manageable day (30 people over 5 hours is a lot of organising, even on the day!) we need to stick to a reasonably tight list. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    I've edited the thread title to close the song suggestions for the moment - we have a big list to look through, co-ordinate and then get a definitive list together.

I'm conscious that we need to get a whole bunch of materials together for everyone to look through and learn as they want to - and so to do this, we need a little bit of time to do some admin and sort stuff out.

Once we have done this (day jobs permitting!) we will publish a suggested list for comment/discussion, but in essence to ensure we can have a manageable day (30 people over 5 hours is a lot of organising, even on the day!) we need to stick to a reasonably tight list. 

Thanks for all the work you guys are putting in, I'm really looking forward to the day :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    I've edited the thread title to close the song suggestions for the moment 
    I've closed the thread to hold back the flood of suggestions.
    ;)

Let me know when all the jury votes have been submitted and counted, and you're ready to publish the results.

"Nul points".
    Re-opened for Mr @Bridgehouse.
    TTony said:
    Re-opened for Mr @Bridgehouse.
    Thanks @TTony!
    Is OK ... my fingers are twitching - a condition that I expect will only be resolved when I see the song list (at which point, fingers will freeze up in fright).
    Song list will be out tomorrow.

Slight delay due to real life. 

Normal service to be resumed..
    Song list will be out tomorrow.

Slight delay due to real life. 

Normal service to be resumed..
    Meds forced sleep at 7pm tonight after none since someday a few ago, lost track of actual days and nights right now.
    Just woken up after knocking myself out with diazepam earlier this evening.

New Coffee IV being fitted as we speak then song list posted within an hour as a starting point for us to GENTLY move forward from one step at a time, if any.

Coffee first...........not negotiable.

:)
    And just to state - part of the reason we have gone off to produce the list is that there are some members who are going to learn all of them for the backing band - we do have to bear this in mind when picking the list, and most importantly, sticking to it. 

I'm sure everyone will find something that they like on there. It's harsh, but there's a lot of material to get sorted to a standard that will make it worthwhile for the newcomers to play along with, and for a bass player/drummer/keys player it can be quite a bit of additional work to get 20+ songs down. 

edited July 2017
    Ok....

Here's 20 songs for the organisers to learn and for the 'Jammy Gits' to pick and choose from to learn.

It's still a JAM so whilst we will learn the actual song, within the song we're slightly flexible as to how many bars the solo lasts, how many players take a solo and we'll show you how to adapt as you play in that situation - again this is one of the key points of this event,.......'How-To survive a Jam Session' and improvise on the spot

I'll echo what the others have said, we're not trying to be too harsh with setting out things the way we are but we ARE trying to stay within Do-able, practical limitations given that real-life happens to us ALL in between.

Have a look and spend the next few weeks REALLY practicing and enjoying doing so.

We'll chat about the songs as we go......

OFFICIAL SONG LIST FOR JAM SESSION

Learning to Fly - Tom Petty

Mustang Sally - Just about everyone

Fortunate Son - CCR

Allright Now - Free

Cupids Dead - Extreme

Cynical - Extreme

Crossroads - Eric Clapton

Midnight Hour - Wilson Picket

Call me the Breeze - J.J.Cale

Shake a Tailfeather - The Blues Brothers

Testify - Rage Against The Machine

Anarchy In The UK - Sex Pistols.

Beat It - Michael Jackson

Plug In Baby - Muse

Sunshine of your Love - Cream

Running Down a Dream - Tom Petty

Foxy lady - Hendrix

Hard to handle - Black Crowes

Roadhouse Blues - The Doors

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

You'll Notice that I haven't posted Key signatures next to them yet.

That will be done once us 3 have discussed the best approach to that to make it as easy as possible for every one.
    Again, this is work on our part that we have to fit in.

For now It won't hurt you to learn them as per the original record and for most of you, trying to figure that out by yourselves won't hurt you. You do after all have the internet right in front of you !

Part of this requires work on your part so put some in yourselves for a day or so while we figure this out.

If you learned a song in E and then we say we're actually going to play it in D then you've learned two valuable lessons throughout the process.

1 - How to transpose something

2 - What it's like to be in a real - life Band. This shit happens allthe time so suck that bit up and call it experience you've gained.

Right.....

GO !

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Sorry, just to clarify. Are we meant to pick now or try and learn as many as we can? 

As I said before, I can already do the rhythm on a couple of these so I may volunteer for them or challenge myself to learn the lead part instead. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Sorry, just to clarify. Are we meant to pick now or try and learn as many as we can? 

As I said before, I can already do the rhythm on a couple of these so I may volunteer for them or challenge myself to learn the lead part instead. 
    The Jam is still roughly 6 weeks away.
    For the next day or so, pick the songs that appeal to you and practice them.
    As we go forward through the next weeks, we can all narrow down our choices.

One of my points is that as players it won't hurt to learn as much as you can whether you use it on the day or not.

For now, just try to do what you're comfortable with.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Once we're up and running I will get behind this list and work on it properly to everyone's benefit, but I'm disappointed that my one suggestion of Another Brick hasn't made it, and that someone else's suggestion of Superstition is also missing, both suggestions having been affirmed by Alnico when they were first made early on in the process. Meanwhile there are two Extreme songs in the list of 20, 10 percent is surely, ER, extreme??? Also two Tom Petty songs, which again is one to many.
    My proposal therefore - replace one of the Extreme songs with Another Brick and one of the Tom Petty songs with Superstition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Also there are two Sex Pistols songs! I enjoy the Sex Pistols in small doses! Both halves of that sentence are true! There isn't a single slow song / ballad in that list (likewise not a genuine funk song . . .) Surely it would be good to substitute one of the Pistols songs for the sake of variety through the 5 hours?!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    bigjon said:

My proposal therefore - replace one of the Extreme songs with Another Brick and one of the Tom Petty songs with Superstition.
    Yeah, that's fair - I thought there'd be more songs. @Alnico - happy to replace Cynical with Another Brick in the Wall?
    <space for hire>