Vanson Guitars

What's Hot
Time for a plug for Vanson Guitars. I bought a Wilkinson tremolo from them that was advertised as having a steel block, but when it turned up, it was monkey metal. I contacted them & in no time I had a reply from Ben, who agreed that it had been wrongly described & asked if I wanted to return it, or see if the factory would supply a block for it. I went with option 2, as it was the trem I wanted, he said he would contact the factory to see if they would supply him a sample, so it wouldn't cost me. He since sent me 2 messages to say he hadn't forgotten me.
I got a message this evening saying the would supply one, but he would have to pay the freight, not really an option, or it could go with their next order, around 4 months!! Again he offered for me to return it, or give me a partial refund.
I must say, I have nver experienced this level of customer service from any other guitar parts company & I have dealt with quite a few. That & the fact they supply very good quality, exceptional value products, I couldn't recommended Vanson highly enough.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Yeah the lad in charge of cans on (big shop on eBay selling unbranded and Wilkinson stuff) is very good
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Good selection of Wilkinson and own branded stuff. If you need to get a cheap guitar going I can recommend their own branded pickups. Though personally I'd request a mixed set with the 8k ish alnico 5 for neck and the 8k ish alnico 2 in bridge (as think 8k 5 and 14k 5 is too bright on those pickups). Seem well made and very heavy for price :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I've had a few bits from them. Always happy with their stuff.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    had a couple of sets of their locking tuners which are excellent.

Also, bought a set of their vintage tele pickups which were really really good.
  • BenBen Frets: 114
    I've purchased a few of their locking tuner sets for PRS SE guitars and they've always been excellent!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Big fan of their PAF-alike pickups - I have an A2/A5 combination in my USA bitsa Strat and they sound epic.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    I buy their guitar nuts sometimes, and mini humbucker rings ... good value and swiftly delivered.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7142
    Brass intonated saddles on my tele custom came from there via eBay. Perfectly happy with them. 
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
    Has anyone tried their own replacement Wilkinson rolled cold steel strat tremolo blocks? 
    Basically this?
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Basically this?
    No, but now I think I will have to - I have a WVPC on one strat, and a WVP6 on another, both with the stock Wilkinson steel blocks - to be honest, I've always thought these were already decent re tone/sustain, but the blurb re better non-leaded cold rolled steel is persuasive. So cheers for that @builtospill, another thing to buy... :D 
    Megii said:
    Basically this?
    No, but now I think I will have to - I have a WVPC on one strat, and a WVP6 on another, both with the stock Wilkinson steel blocks - to be honest, I've always thought these were already decent re tone/sustain, but the blurb re better non-leaded cold rolled steel is persuasive. So cheers for that @builtospill, another thing to buy... :D 
    I'm hoping the Vanson creation is proper steel also. I think I'll go for this at some point... if you get yours before me let us know how you get on with it? basically my wilkinson block has cracked where the tremolo grub screw sits.
    Megii said:
    Basically this?
    I'm hoping the Vanson creation is proper steel also. I think I'll go for this at some point... if you get yours before me let us know how you get on with it? basically my wilkinson block has cracked where the tremolo grub screw sits.
    f**k it! just placed an order now... 5 left!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Megii said:
    Basically this?
    You absolute swine @builttospill - you just panicked me into buying a couple - nice job there! So I guess that's 3 left now. To be fair, once I knew about them, it was always likely to happen, as I hate the thought that there's something better out there that I don't have. And I guess not a huge spend for the potential improvement. They do mention issues with the Wilkinson block being a bit brittle and easily cracked in the advert blurb, so I reckon the chances are very good you'll like the Vanson replacement - as I hope I will! This forum can be a hilarious drain on my bank account sometimes... :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Megii said:
    Megii said:
    Basically this?
    You absolute swine @builttospill - you just panicked me into buying a couple - nice job there! So I guess that's 3 left now. To be fair, once I knew about them, it was always likely to happen, as I hate the thought that there's something better out there that I don't have. And I guess not a huge spend for the potential improvement. They do mention issues with the Wilkinson block being a bit brittle and easily cracked in the advert blurb, so I reckon the chances are very good you'll like the Vanson replacement - as I hope I will! This forum can be a hilarious drain on my bank account sometimes... :D 
    Ha ha great stuff! I don't feel so bad now... hope all goes well with your new trem blocks... this forum will kill me.
  • Megii said:
    Megii said:
    Basically this?
    Have you tried the Vanson trem block yet? I've not had the chance to get mine installed.... interesting to see if there are any slight improvements. The block itself feels very solid and well made, just hope it's not monkey metal under that nickel coating.

Have you tried the Vanson trem block yet? I've not had the chance to get mine installed.... interesting to see if there are any slight improvements. The block itself feels very solid and well made, just hope it's not monkey metal under that nickel coating.
    Not had chance to get one installed yet @builttospill - they do seem decent to me, I'm sure not monkey metal, just going by the weight, and also there are some pics on the ad showing the blocks prior to being plated, and it looks like steel, not cheapo cast metal. When I finally have chance to get one fitted, I'll let you know what I think - I have a few extra mods to do to both my strats at the same time (pickup baseplates from Oil City to fit on one, change of pot values on the other) so it may take me a while, but I'll get there.
  • Megii said:

Not had chance to get one installed yet @builttospill - they do seem decent to me, I'm sure not monkey metal, just going by the weight, and also there are some pics on the ad showing the blocks prior to being plated, and it looks like steel, not cheapo cast metal. When I finally have chance to get one fitted, I'll let you know what I think - I have a few extra mods to do to both my strats at the same time (pickup baseplates from Oil City to fit on one, change of pot values on the other) so it may take me a while, but I'll get there.
    Nice one! looking forward to the results... tbh to scared to do it myself so off to the shop it goes
    Megii said:

Nice one! looking forward to the results... tbh to scared to do it myself so off to the shop it goes
    I'm sure you could do it no problem @builttospill - with my Wilkinson trems, I've already had the existing blocks off the baseplates just to make sure the top of the block and bottom of the baseplate were flat and making the best possible contact - there was the odd burr on the metal that I could file flat. But as far as I remember, it really is just a case of being able to use a Phillips screwdriver of the right size - pretty easy stuff, honest. Have a go I say! :)