Saw a Spitfire up close yesterday...

What's Hot
cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
edited August 2017 in Off Topic
...and it was totally awesome. I was out on the motorbike and rode down to Selsey.  The roads were relatively quiet, the weather was nice and fish and chips were eaten by the sea. All good stuff. Anyway, I dropped into Goodwood on the return to home. After seeing a Ferrari and Porsche ripping it around the motor circuit, I went over to the aerodrome. Just by luck, there was a twin seater Spitfire there just about to be fuelled up after it had taken somebody out on one those 'experience' flights. The pilot said he was about to leave to fly back to Cambridge so like a little kid I waited for it to start up and take off. It's the closest I've been to a Spitfire and that Merlin engine made my knees tremble when it started up. 

Listen to that!
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    @Cruxiform obviously I don't know where you live but if you can get to Biggin Hill (about 20 mins Jct 4,5 or 6 M25) then Google Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar.  They do tours round their hangar where the maintain, restore and operate Spitfires from. You can even sit in one. It's my home airfield and they are a great bunch of guys. Let me know if you decide to go!! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Blackjack said:
    @Cruxiform obviously I don't know where you live but if you can get to Biggin Hill (about 20 mins Jct 4,5 or 6 M25) then Google Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar.  They do tours round their hangar where the maintain, restore and operate Spitfires from. You can even sit in one. It's my home airfield and they are a great bunch of guys. Let me know if you decide to go!! 
    Wis awarded for that. I'm not far from Biggin Hill. Will definitely let you know if I go!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    edited August 2017
    Double post.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    This close...?

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I love that clip.

Spits are amazing, love to see them flying.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I was lucky enough to sit in a Spitfire a few years ago. The pilot got me to go through the take off procedure too, so I got the feel of the rudder pedals and control column. It was a bit of a schoolboy dream come true, if I'm honest.
     I've been in quite a few old warbirds, including a Lancaster, Anson, B-17, B-29 and B-24, but the Spit was the biggest thrill, as I'm a huge fan.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I flew in one last year and got to fly it a bit with the control column, absolutely amazing experience, particularly when he did a victory roll at the end. It was from that same place at Biggin Hill that's been mentioned.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I stayed in the Petwood hotel last month (former 617 Sq officers mess) and on the way home stopped at the end of the runway at Conningsby home of the BBMF. They were pulling out the Lanc, a pair of spits and a hurrican. The pilot was kind enough to come over and tell the gawking public they would be starting up in 40 mins and taking off withing the hour. Unfortunately I couldn't stay but have experienced the sound a number of times. the BBMF hanger is right beside the road and you can go into the visitor centre their too. East Kirkby (privately owned and up the road from Conningsby) have thier own lancaster that gives taxi rides and when it moves past the crowd the wing tip goes over your head!

The crackle of a merlin engine as it throttles back in mesmerising.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    I flew in one last year and got to fly it a bit with the control column, absolutely amazing experience, particularly when he did a victory roll at the end. It was from that same place at Biggin Hill that's been mentioned.
    May we know how much it cost? And how long was the flight?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    They had a Spitfire at the Silverstone Classic this weekend. It was £10 to sit in it, £40 to sit in it with the engine running.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Chalky said:
    I've got no idea I'm afraid - it was a present and I didn't want to ask, but I'm guessing not cheap! The flight was about 25 minutes, but with about another 20 minutes sat in it while it taxied and waited for permission to take off.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Twenty minutes with the engine running on the ground? I bet that got the engine good and hot!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    The sound of the Merlin is without doubt the greatest piston-engine sound ever - even if it wasn't associated with Britain's finest hour - and is surprisingly distinctive. I live roughly on one of the flight paths from central England to the Leuchars Airshow, so I sometimes see planes going over… I've seen the Vulcan here when it was still flying, and one day I was sitting idly doing something in the house when all of a sudden I heard an aircraft engine, and just had time to think "that's a Merlin!" and run out into the garden, to see the tail end of a Hurricane disappearing over the trees at what looked like about 500ft (probably a bit higher really).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Emp Fab loves the sounds of spitfire engines being revved the fuck up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Spits are amazing planes .. I was luck when I was a kid as the Battle of Britain film was made a cycle ride from my home. They used a local aerodrome to shoot take-off's and landings and my friends and I would cycle over to watch as the Spitfires were fired up and took off ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Don't we all dearie ? ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    They fly a two-seat Spit out of Sywell, which is about 10mins from my front door. Every so often it comes over the house - its a great noise and no piston engine sounds quite like a Merlin.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Jalapeno said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Don't we all dearie ? ;)

I live right next door to the RAF Museum in Colindale, but I've never actually been in it!! The wife and kid have been!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Don't we all dearie ? ;)

I live right next door to the RAF Museum in Colindale, but I've never actually been in it!! The wife and kid have been!
    If they still have the quiet little room with the descriptions of how folks won the Victoria Cross, go take a quiet look. Like visiting the cemetries of northern France, it can change a man's outlook on life.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Fretwired said:
    Spits are amazing planes .. I was luck when I was a kid as the Battle of Britain film was made a cycle ride from my home. They used a local aerodrome to shoot take-off's and landings and my friends and I would cycle over to watch as the Spitfires were fired up and took off ....

I remember seeing some of the sets at Hawkinge aerodrome when I were a lad, too. The place is now a massive housing estate, and the museum is pretty much all that's left.