Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Plugin Deals and Discussion Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• I do think the problem with the cheaper Waves bundles is their utility plugins aren't as modern or feature rich as for example FF's, but only the more expensive bundles have the more interesting and HW modeled stuff.

I've owned Waves Gold for a few years, the only plugins I still use from it are H delay and L1. Comparatively that makes it an expensive purchase. I've got several other Waves plugs but they were all bought individually. The next level bundle upgrade doesn't interest me at all, ad after that it gets super expensive, so waiting for the sale rotation is a better plan.

Which FF plugs did you get @PolarityMan and how are you finding them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I got the mastering bundle, so Pro-Q 2, Pro-C 2, Pro-MB and Pro-L.

Only used them for about half an hour as bought it a couple of weeks ago then immediately went on holiday but Ive wanted pro-q 2 in particular for ageeeeeeees.

Not sure Ill use MB much but C2 and L look pretty decent too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Soundtoys 5 is absolutely worth having.

Public Service Announcement: Eventide released a new delay plugin called Ultratap.
    It is $49 until September.
    I've had it for a few hours and it is pretty awesome.
    I'm a huge fan of Eventide plugins and they bless you with two authorisations per purchase, so you can have your main Daw and a laptop authorised without having to swap iLoks.

I would avoid the Waves subscription. It is $1500 a year for Mercury which is crazy.
    Compared to Slate which is $179 a year, albeit with few plugins, although they are almost always better sounding.
    I've had Waves Mercury for quite a long time- well before other companies were on the market- virtually every plugin that Waves do is done better by someone else.
    Exceptions are Dorrough metering, Brauer Motion and Restoration bundle.

UAD are doing some awesome things- the Massive Passive, SSL, Chandler Curve Bender, EL Fatso, Thermonic Culture Vulture, Shadow Hills Mastering Comp are all incredibly close to the hardware they are replicating.

Also check out Expoential Audio- their Excalibur plugin is the best delay plugin I've heard. I use it on everything.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    UAD is so good - wish I were wealthier! 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2017
    I got the mastering bundle, so Pro-Q 2, Pro-C 2, Pro-MB and Pro-L.

Only used them for about half an hour as bought it a couple of weeks ago then immediately went on holiday but Ive wanted pro-q 2 in particular for ageeeeeeees.

Not sure Ill use MB much but C2 and L look pretty decent too.
    When mixing guitars definitely try out natural phase mode on Pro Q2. I find it to sound excellent, not zero latency though so I don't use it for tracking. Also love it for overheads for the same reason - notching resonances doesn't ruin the tone as fast as zero latency, generally.

Pro-MB is very useful if you do come across something where MB compression is needed, e.g. Low end boom in palm muted passive guitars. 

I also find I use it on certain vocals that use a lot of range and dynamics, as static EQ and broadband compression don't always deal with a singer going from warm low notes to yelled high notes. I sometimes also use it in sidechain on slower songs that need a relatively big bass, but also a relatively big kick to cut through. On faster songs with lots of kick hits I've found it's better to separate more clearly with EQ.

Pro C2's reduction limit mode (prob wrong term) is also mega useful if you want a consistent amount of gain reduction - again sidechain might be a reason to do this. It's got lots of different modes and a very easy to use GUI.

• You can sidechain Pro Q2 also, to get another channel's analyser to appear in the one you're EQing. Can be a helpful tool if you're having difficulty separating by ear especially in areas where your room isn't so great. Wouldn't rely on it completely but I definitely use it from time to time if things are clashing and I'm getting stuck 
    I'm messing about with Ultratap and it is really cool.

Have a listen to these:

This is the part without Ultratap instantiated: http://www.jamesrichmond.com/moved/ultratap/Stabs_no_ultratap.mp3
    This is the part with it in there: http://www.jamesrichmond.com/moved/ultratap/Stabs_with_ultratap.mp3

Here it is in the context of the track: http://www.jamesrichmond.com/moved/ultratap/ALL_Stabs_with_ultratap.mp3
    edited August 2017

TimmyO said:
    I spent ages demoing the ones I absolutely had to have and then bought them as part of the summer sale.
    They were about £1200 for the lot and would have cost £3500 outside the sale.

The Neve 33609 is awesome sauce.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    guitarfishbay said: nice
    You can sidechain Pro Q2 also, to get another channel's analyser to appear in the one you're EQing. Can be a helpful tool if you're having difficulty separating by ear especially in areas where your room isn't so great. Wouldn't rely on it completely but I definitely use it from time to time if things are clashing and I'm getting stuck 
    That sounds ace as my ear is definitely not super refined.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    octatonic said:

TimmyO said:
    I spent ages demoing the ones I absolutely had to have and then bought them as part of the summer sale.
    They were about £1200 for the lot and would have cost £3500 outside the sale.

The Neve 33609 is awesome sauce.
    I'd need more hardware too - and it's all moot since the life-downsizing. Zero disposable cash! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • So for anyone who bought the plugin, they're doing a deal to upgrade to the full SSL bundle...

Just on this point - the Studio Classics Collection Contains the SSL bundle, API bundle, and V Series and is currently on sale for cheaper than the upgrade to the SSL collection, or the SSL Collection on its own.
  • j_rj_r Frets: 4
    SSL G-channel now on sale:

http://www.waves.com/plugins/ssl-g-channel
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    j_r said:
    I grabbed this as well. Just need that buss compressor to go on sale now...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited September 2017
    Looks like the studio classics collection price has gone back up. Was $199 last week for all the API, SSL and V series EQs and compressors. Cheaper at AD and with the discount code I posted - $136 which was a good deal IMO. Sure it'll end up that cheap again at some point... they'll probably do the SSL comp on its own at some point too.
    Looks like the studio classics collection price has gone back up. Was $199 last week for all the API, SSL and V series EQs and compressors. Cheaper at AD and with the discount code I posted - $136 which was a good deal IMO. Sure it'll end up that cheap again at some point... they'll probably do the SSL comp on its own at some point too.
    Have you checked out the Brainworx E and G channels?

• I haven't, I assume I should?
    I haven't, I assume I should?
    What they are doing is really interesting, which is to model the nonlinear characteristics of individual channels in a specific console. When you pull up, say, 40 instances of the G channel plugin they will all have slight, imperceptible differences between them, much like an actual console (if you think about how individual components to a channel change over time).

It is a really novel approach and I believe it works.
  • octatonic said:
    What they are doing is really interesting, which is to model the nonlinear characteristics of individual channels in a specific console. When you pull up, say, 40 instances of the G channel plugin they will all have slight, imperceptible differences between them, much like an actual console (if you think about how individual components to a channel change over time).

If they were smart they would key the variation to the fader channel number so you would be all like, I always stick my overheads on channel 3 and 9 because theyre so much warmer etc.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    octatonic said:

If they were smart they would key the variation to the fader channel number so you would be all like, I always stick my overheads on channel 3 and 9 because theyre so much warmer etc.
    It is more subtle than that.