A right pair of Basses

What's Hot
Got a couple of PJ bodies and necks on the way from the wonderful @GSPBASSES ;

One is for me, and one is for @Alnico.

Mr A wants his satin white, black guard and standard satin neck. 

Mine however... it's going to be a gigging bass, so I'm going to relic it - colour undecided as yet. What do you think? Butterscotch relic? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Butterscotch finish in conjunction with a split P pickup and a rosewood fingerboard? What would the purists say?
    Be seeing you.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Bass is my guilty pleasure. I'm not saying I'm any good at it, I'm probably not but I find it so much pure fun to play.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Butterscotch finish in conjunction with a split P pickup and a rosewood fingerboard? What would the purists say?
    Hopefully not a lot ;)
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    Butterscotch doesn't really work over alder, it needs the strong grain of ash to look right.

Let me know what lacquer you need and I'll give you serious mates rates.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.    I fancy a precision and toyed with putting one together if I don't spot the right one for sale.    
    I'd go for a relic sunburst or blonde with a bit of grain showing through.  
    What have you decided about hardware and pickups?
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    John_P said:
    Looking forward to seeing how these turn out.    I fancy a precision and toyed with putting one together if I don't spot the right one for sale.    
    Discussing this last night, I've gone for Fender High Mass Bridge, Gotoh 60's style tuners (Trefoil?) and Oil City Pickups.
    Butterscotch doesn't really work over alder, it needs the strong grain of ash to look right.

Let me know what lacquer you need and I'll give you serious mates rates.
    I did wonder if butterscotch would work - I do fancy a lighter colour to relic though - and I'll probably go easy on the grain fill to get some grain sink coming through. Maybe vintage blonde, or honey blonde.. I dunno yet!

John_P said:
    Will be mostly 60s vintage spec hardware to relic - and for pickups I'm thinking about a custom wound mid 60s spec set
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited August 2017

Mine however... it's going to be a gigging bass, so I'm going to relic it - colour undecided as yet. What do you think? Butterscotch relic? 

How about reliced black (hides the J, makes it look more P) but with a gold anodised guard? 

Would be a killer combo with a rosewood board. 

Optional extra: cream P pickup cover for that DiMarzio-added-in-the-'70s look. 

http://i.imgur.com/Afu7BnK.jpg
    KKJale said:

How about reliced black (hides the J, makes it look more P) but with a gold anodised guard? 

Would be a killer combo with a rosewood board. 

Optional extra: cream P pickup cover for that DiMarzio-added-in-the-'70s look. 

http://i.imgur.com/Afu7BnK.jpg
    Great idea, and I do love that combo - but I have a MiM classic 60s in black with gold guard - so I want something a bit different ;)

Good suggestion tho ;)
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited August 2017
    In that case consider a white guard (to skirt around the aargh-bad-tortoiseshell-or-Spitfire issue) and then go with a great custom colour... like maybe ice blue with yellowed lacquer, aged to the palest most perfect green... like that recent Tele on BC  Edit: I mean the lovely lamf68 one on here...
    KKJale said:
    In that case consider a white guard (to skirt around the aargh-bad-tortoishell-or-Spitfire issue) and then go with a great custom colour... like maybe ice blue with yellowed lacquer, aged to the palest most perfect green... like that recent Tele on BC 
    I was considering:

- Daphne blue (as per the relic Tele that I did that @Alnico has)
    - Sonic blue
    - One of the greens
    - a yellow of some sort

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    ........ and I'll probably go easy on the grain fill to get some grain sink coming through. 
    I skipped the grain filler altogether for my aged look, I'd do that every time now for an old finish personally.
    axisus said:
    ........ and I'll probably go easy on the grain fill to get some grain sink coming through. 
    I skipped the grain filler altogether for my aged look, I'd do that every time now for an old finish personally.
    Good call. I'll skip it.
    Arrived today.. all present and correct:

• slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    Relic'd black over gold with a gold scratchplate. 
    slacker said:
    Relic'd black over gold with a gold scratchplate. 
    Got a MiM in exactly that! I love the look, but not sure I could have two the same....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    I'm doing them in sequence rather than as a pair - so first up is the gigging bass for me...

Board masked up. This one is having an amber tint and that's it...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    Alder doesn't really need any sort of grain filler, I would go clear with a black scratch plate as per John Deacon.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

So for a neck tint, I've tried something a bit different. Given that this is a relic, I really wanted to go for the relic look from the off.

So I've used a darker tint to give it an 'aged' look that would be difficult to do afterwards.

Anyway - first coat: