What's yer action?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
edited August 2017 in Bass
Been musing on string action on a number of my basses. They all seem to like something slightly different. 

My 64 Precision (1.75 nut width, 7.25 FB radius, vintage frets, D'addario Chromes) seems to have 4/64 (1.6mm) as the sweet spot for all strings
The 74 Precision (1.65 nut width, 9.25 FB radius, vintage frets, D'addario Chromes) likes it a little smidge higher at about 1.8mm-2mm across the board

What do your basses seem best with, and what do you prefer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What's the measuring point? 12th fret? And relief too would be a useful figure I guess.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    What's the measuring point? 12th fret? And relief too would be a useful figure I guess.
    As per fender specs I've measured at the 17th!

Relief on both is ironing board :) - at .005 (0.13mm) !
  • My Jazz is 2mm low B, 1.5 ish on the high E (slightly more)... tuned B F# B E with D'Addario Pro Steels.  Can't measure the relief until I hunt out where my feeler gauge is, but it's about as close to 0 as you can get, holding down first fret and where the neck meets the body you barely need to brush the string to make it buzz.  Without my glasses I can't really see a gap, but there is one because it can be heard when tapping the string, and I do kind of need glasses.
    My Jazz is 2mm low B, 1.5 ish on the high E (slightly more)... tuned B F# B E with D'Addario Pro Steels.  Can't measure the relief until I hunt out where my feeler gauge is, but it's about as close to 0 as you can get, holding down first fret and where the neck meets the body you barely need to brush the string to make it buzz.  Without my glasses I can't really see a gap, but there is one because it can be heard when tapping the string, and I do kind of need glasses.
    Sounds about the same as mine - I reckon your relief is about .005"
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2017
    I set it up by feel, including the use of a business card shim to get it to play a bit tighter.

Set it so it's easy to play, but if I dig in hard with a pick it gets really grindy but doesn't fart out and have no low end like if there wasn't enough tension or clearance. It's got a tight low B (.130 through body) and is probably the loudest solid body bass I've played acoustically. It is also marginally sub 9lb IIRC. Man I wish I could find a guitar this good!
    I set it up by feel, including the use of a business card shim to get it to play a bit tighter.

Set it so it's easy to play, but if I dig in hard with a pick it gets really grindy but doesn't fart out and have no low end like if there wasn't enough tension or clearance. It's got a tight low B (.130 through body) and is probably the loudest solid body bass I've played acoustically. It is also marginally sub 9lb IIRC. Man I wish I could find a guitar this good!
    I've had similar feelings with some of my basses - particularly the two vintage Precisions - I really wish I could find guitars that good too. The CS Strat I have is close..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Rickenbacker 4001… neck dead straight or Rizla paper thickness relief, fairly high action. I've never measured it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Musicman-neck shim and as low as it can go

NS NXT EUB about half an inch 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
    Been musing on string action on a number of my basses. They all seem to like something slightly different. 

My 64 Precision (1.75 nut width, 7.25 FB radius, vintage frets, D'addario Chromes) seems to have 4/64 (1.6mm) as the sweet spot for all strings
    The MiM Precision (1.65 nut width, 9.25 FB radius, vintage frets, D'addario Chromes) likes it a little smidge higher at about 1.8mm-2mm across the board

Isn't your MiM a classic 50 Lacquer?

The necks on those are supposed to be the same as the 64 I thought?

The MiM Precision (1.65 nut width, 9.25 FB radius, vintage frets, D'addario Chromes) likes it a little smidge higher at about 1.8mm-2mm across the board

Isn't your MiM a classic 50 Lacquer?

The necks on those are supposed to be the same as the 64 I thought?
    You know what, I read my original post and thought "wtf was I smoking??"

It wasn't the MIM - it was the 74 P I measured :D 

What a twat
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have now edited my post to hide my stupidity
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm still mighty tempted by one of the classic 50s.
    I'm still mighty tempted by one of the classic 50s.
    You need to try one.. they are very good....
    I do. The neck seems very wide in the specs. Actually .45mm wider than my 5 string Stingray 
    I do. The neck seems very wide in the specs. Actually .45mm wider than my 5 string Stingray 
    They are different. 

The classic neck is slim front to back but very wide. It's weird, as a 7.5" radius it feels pretty flat due to the width.

Once I got used to it, I just find narrower necks too cramped.
    Do you know the thickness measurement at the first fret?
    Do you know the thickness measurement at the first fret?
    A touch over 20mm - 20.3 ish
    Thank you. I can compare that with my herd now.
    Thank you. I can compare that with my herd now.
    You sure you don't want to try the 64? ;)
    Meant to say @fretmeister - the neck I'm just spraying now in my build thread is the same width and profile as my 64...