What! No magazines for bassists

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
Surprised to find no magazines for bassists in Easons, Dublin. Dozens of guitar and music magazines on sale but none for bass.

Perhaps if we made more noise on stage.....

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Seymour1Seymour1 Frets: 85

Issue is either with the store or distributer. Similar issues in UK where some branches of WH Smith stock Bass Magazine, a smaller number also have Bass Player (US magazine) and many stock neither.

You've got the option to subscribe tho' of you want some reading material:

http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/subscriptions/

• Wouldn't a magazine for bass just repeat the same, simple phrase all the way through? ;) 

(I'm joking of course. I still can't play anything on anything that could be described as better than shit!)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Wouldn't a magazine for bass just repeat the same, simple phrase all the way through? ;) 

(I'm joking of course. I still can't play anything on anything that could be described as better than shit!)
    Beat me to it... I was going to say that it would have the same four pages printed over and over, in very large print :).

Sadly Guitar & Bass Magazine - which was the best of the surviving guitar magazines, for me - is now just The Guitar Magazine. I see they do have some bass content, but it's still a bit disappointing that they're apparently turning their back on what should be about a quarter to a third of their readership.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    It's been years since I bought a magazine.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Wouldn't a magazine for bass just repeat the same, simple phrase all the way through? ;) 

I'm only replying cos if I didn't you'd be disappointed in me ;)

Playing a simple root note bass line = easy

Playing a simple root note bass line in time = less easy

Playing a good sounding, not overly complex bass line which adds musically to the song = fairly easy

Playing a good sounding, not overly complex bass line which adds musically to the song in time  = fairly hard

Playing a bass line of any description with subtlety, where each note is considered in it's context and brings the bass out as a lead instrument in parts = pretty hard

Playing a bass line of any description with subtlety, where each note is considered in it's context and brings the bass out as a lead instrument in parts in time = hard

I thought I could play in time when I just played guitar. When I started bass, I was introduced to a whole world of what in time really meant. 

A lot of guitarists would benefit from playing some bass to understand what being in time actually means....

See, there's plenty of stuff above to fill a magazine with. Let's face it, most guitar magazines are an endless repeat of PRS reviews, why old Gibson's are fantastic, and "how to set up your strat trem", with a few pages of blues pentatonic technique thrown in. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bridgehouse said:

I'm only replying cos if I didn't you'd be disappointed in me ;)

Playing a simple root note bass line = easy

Playing a simple root note bass line in time = less easy

Playing a good sounding, not overly complex bass line which adds musically to the song = fairly easy

Playing a good sounding, not overly complex bass line which adds musically to the song in time  = fairly hard

Playing a bass line of any description with subtlety, where each note is considered in it's context and brings the bass out as a lead instrument in parts = pretty hard

Playing a bass line of any description with subtlety, where each note is considered in it's context and brings the bass out as a lead instrument in parts in time = hard

I thought I could play in time when I just played guitar. When I started bass, I was introduced to a whole world of what in time really meant. 

Sounds like one big metronome advert.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Sounds like one big metronome advert.

Since playing bass, I reckon my timing ear has developed quite a bit. 

Most people would hear someone playing to a metronome or click track and say "that's in time", but I'd probably say "Nope.. slightly before or after the beat"
    I once told a quite good bassist that I loved his dub-reggae-like, slightly-behind-the-beat feel, which I assumed was intentional. It wasn't. He didn't think it was a compliment...

It was absolutely consistent though!

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    ICBM said:
    dub-reggae-like, slightly-behind-the-beat feel
    What's he smokin', boy?
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Bridgehouse said:

Let's face it, most guitar magazines are an endless repeat of PRS reviews, why old Gibson's are fantastic, and "how to set up your strat trem", with a few pages of blues pentatonic technique thrown in. ;)
    I was going to give you a Wisdom when I remembered I haven't read a guitar magazine in 30 years. 
    JezWynd said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Let's face it, most guitar magazines are still an endless repeat of PRS reviews, why old Gibson's are fantastic, and "how to set up your strat trem", with a few pages of blues pentatonic technique thrown in. ;)
    I was going to give you a Wisdom when I remembered I haven't read a guitar magazine in 30 years. 
    I've fixed my original post here to be relevant for you... ;)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2329
    JezWynd said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Let's face it, most guitar magazines are an endless repeat of PRS reviews, why old Gibson's are fantastic, and "how to set up your strat trem", with a few pages of blues pentatonic technique thrown in. ;)
    Kind of reminds me of Jimmy Carr's joke about what Slough was like 30 years ago...
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited August 2017
    I've bought exactly one guitar magazine ever. Fender and Gibson wankfest and a metric fuck ton of adverts. Won't bother again. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    I've bought every single guitar magazine ever. Fender and Gibson wankfest and a metric fuck ton of adverts. Won't bother again. 
    FTFY 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346

Were you looking on the right shelves???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    4 strings, 5 frets, root notes.

They don't need a monthly magazine, they need an A5 crib sheet with 40 point text.
    axisus said:
    Why would you need five frets? That note is the same as the next string up.

:)

Actually I do the opposite, which is to play mostly on the E and A strings, and very occasionally on the D… I just find it sounds better and I have small hands so moving is easier than stretching usually.

I'm doing this bass thing all wrong. 90% of my playing is on frets 3-15.

Balls.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:

Wow ............. Man, you have just blown my mind ...........
    axisus said:
    ICBM said:
    axisus said:

Wow ............. Man, you have just blown my mind ...........
    See, a magazine could do a 4 pager on this alone..