Recommend me a bass

What's Hot

Comments

• Lol, I did recommend it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    So would I, as a first bass. There's literally no style of music or playing that doesn't sound good with a P, and you can get a perfectly usable one for as little as a hundred pounds or thereabouts.

The problem about recommending a Rick - even if I thought they were right for everyone, which I certainly don't - is that real ones are expensive, and none of the copies are really (in my opinion) worth having. It's easier to make a Precison very cheaply and have it turn out good than any other bass.

I completely agree about it being Leo's best design too - possibly more even than the Strat.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited August 2017
    P bass is a safe bet, even though I prefer Rays.
    Problem in all shootouts i've seen is that they record Rays flat, the EQ is there to be added as the coils in parallel are actually quite weak in output. Add bass boost and its big and clear. 
  • Squier VM is probably best value for money to start with
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Thanks for the recommendations.  The Squier VM's do look to be where the value is so probably looking at those.

They don't do a 'P' however, but they do have PJ's, which on paper are the best of both worlds.

http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/precision-bass/vintage-modified-precision-bass-pj/0306800500.html#cgid= squier-electric-basses&start=1

Although significantly cheaper there is a Jaguar Special PJ bass which I may try.  £220 vs £355 of the Precision PJ above.

http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-basses/jaguar-bass/vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special/0328900500.html#cgid= squier-electric-basses&start=1

I like the look of the Classic Vibe P, but it's out of budget

Another option I'll try is the affinity series, which if they play nice could be a good base to upgrade the pickups to some OOil City or Mojo's etc.

Ultimately I'll just get out and play some....

• I haven't played a Jaguar bass but I'm aware of some online complaints about neck dive with the shape, so it depends if that might be an issue for you.  Might be worth testing it out on a strap first if you can.

Besides any minor differences caused by magnetism from an extra pickup on the strings, the P pickup should sound identical on a P vs a PJ, so you shouldn't lose anything by having the options.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    Jags are shorter scales, get the VM or a used classic vibe.
    Jags are shorter scales, get the VM or a used classic vibe.

They do 2, the special posted above is 34" full scale.  But yeah, definitely don't want short scale!
    I haven't played a Jaguar bass but I'm aware of some online complaints about neck dive with the shape, so it depends if that might be an issue for you.  Might be worth testing it out on a strap first if you can.

Thanks, yes I have read that, will check it out, It would put me off to be honest.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    A Precision with a Jazz bass neck is a very nice instrument - best of both worlds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    JezWynd said:
    A Precision with a Jazz bass neck is a very nice instrument - best of both worlds.
    Unless your prefer a Precision neck, as I do and at least one other contributor to this thread. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    fftc said:
    JezWynd said:
    Unless your prefer a Precision neck, as I do and at least one other contributor to this thread. ;)

What's the difference in neck shape?

I like chunky necks.

• Precisions are generally wider, Jazz basses are generally narrower.

Liking a chunky guitar neck may or may not be a reason you prefer either neck, the width and string spacing makes a bigger difference to the playing feel between the two IME (until you get to the extremes of thick and thin of course).

I can play most 4 string bass necks I've tried, though I'm more immediately comfortable on the Jazz neck shape.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Don't use your guitar neck preference as a yardstick at all for bass.

If you are going to play bass properly, then it should always be thumb behind, not hooked over the top.. with this in mind, go and try different basses in person and make sure you try them in this position (not in a guitar grip)

Everyones preference is different. For me, the wider and slimmer, the better...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    Play it on a strap too. Even for playing sitting down...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fftc said:
    JezWynd said:
    Unless your prefer a Precision neck, as I do and at least one other contributor to this thread.

What's the difference in neck shape?

I like chunky necks.

Jazz neck is narrow in comparison to the precision although some jazz models have a fairly deep profile that still makes them feel chunky. Best to go and compare them side by side to see what suits you best. Personally I prefer the extra width and wider string spacing on a p bass. 
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    I prefer the Jazz neck - or a modern Precision, which is not too different - I don't like wide vintage Precisions at all. But none of them are as good as a...

...never mind. You know what I'm going to say ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I prefer the Jazz neck - or a modern Precision, which is not too different - I don't like wide vintage Precisions at all. But none of them are as good as a...

...never mind. You know what I'm going to say ;).
    Those lovely super wide 1.75 precision necks just give more room for bends and vibrato. 

And there's no substitute for girth

;)
  • Those lovely super wide 1.75 precision necks just give more room for bends and vibrato. 

Playing a bass out of tune?
    Those lovely super wide 1.75 precision necks just give more room for bends and vibrato. 

Playing a bass out of tune?
    Mostly