Behringer X18R Rack Mixing Desk - opinions?

What's Hot
Anyone used this before? Looking at maybe getting this for the functions band. Been using the Mackie DL1608 for a while and its been great, thinking of upgrading to this for the smaller, footprint, and like it just being a stage box.

How are they? How are is the App? 

Opinions would be great :) Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I use an x18 and a couple of mates were so impressed they have both bought an xr18.    
    They sound great and are easy to use.  I've never had an issue. 
    The Facebook group is really supportive. 
    Althoigh I had no problems with the internal wifi I did follow the advice to add an external router and it is faster making the rta useable and everything a lot more responsive.  

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited August 2017
    We've just switched to an X18, and use an external wireless router. Much clearer sound than an analogue desk. Plus we can now have individual IEM mixes. Plus we can record all 12 channels into Logic, play it back through the desk to hear ourselves, and mix it down to save ourselves the cost of studio time.

The iPad and laptop Apps are OK. You do have to learn where things are because you don't have everything laid out in front of you as you do with a traditional desk.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    The X18 iis fantastic for the money but it isn't really an upgrade on the DL1608 you already have. It's only got 6 aux sends so you quickly run out of sends if anyone wants stereo 

The Allen & Heath QU-SB would be a good upgrade to what you have, that's in the rack format you want but has 4 mono aux sends and 3 stereo plus you can record the gig in multitrack with nothing more than a USB stick ... no laptop needed. Onboard effects and dynamics are superb, as is the build quality. It's basically a surfaceless version of the popular QU series of desks which we've been using for 4 years or so with zero reliability issues. It is a fair bit dearer though than the X18
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    Danny1969 said:
    The X18 iis fantastic for the money but it isn't really an upgrade on the DL1608 you already have. It's only got 6 aux sends so you quickly run out of sends if anyone wants stereo 

The Allen & Heath QU-SB would be a good upgrade to what you have, that's in the rack format you want but has 4 mono aux sends and 3 stereo plus you can record the gig in multitrack with nothing more than a USB stick ... no laptop needed. Onboard effects and dynamics are superb, as is the build quality. It's basically a surfaceless version of the popular QU series of desks which we've been using for 4 years or so with zero reliability issues. It is a fair bit dearer though than the X18
    This looks great. Being able to record to USB and the fact that its expandable are the big ones for me! Its not crazy amounts more expensive either.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'll never buy another Behringer product after losing literally months of my life dealing with their shitty warranty for an 8 bus console back in the 90's.
    Yeah, I hold a grudge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    We use one as the desk for our smaller rig (I say desk but its more of a stage box). I REALLY wish they had put a hardware mute switch in as sometimes the app can hang (although I haven't tried an external router yet)
    It's an amazing bit of kit for the money. My only other gripe is that mine is very sensitive around the power socket. If you even brush the IEC the whole thing gives a very loud bang. I suspect a poor solder joint on the socket
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    octatonic said:
    I'll never buy another Behringer product after losing literally months of my life dealing with their shitty warranty for an 8 bus console back in the 90's.
    Yeah, I hold a grudge.
    I hear you. I also had two mixers go bad (pots and flakey faders, light use, just out of warranty). But I did buy an XR12 because it's got just one pot and no faders! It was fine. But as lovely as the iPad app was, I missed having real controls and went back to a proper surface.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Cabicular said:
     I REALLY wish they had put a hardware mute switch in as sometimes the app can hang 
    IIRC you can use a footswitch to do that
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Got its little brother the XR16 and love it, sounds great plenty of ins an outs for us and never had any trouble with it.  The android app is great