Helix Native

What's Hot

Comments

• Why do people hate iLok?

It actually winds up being pretty convenient after you've got a large number of licenses and use more than one computer.

This is assuming each piece of software only gives one authorisation - that's not iLok's fault.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    octatonic said:
    I'm hoping that there is some way to control the plugin with a floorboard, maybe the one from the rack.
    I'd have thought so - you can already configure the footswitches to send Midi commands in Command Centre/Center so I presume (!) that by connecting it to the computer you could use it as a midi source.... 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Why do people hate iLok?

It actually winds up being pretty convenient after you've got a large number of licenses and use more than one computer.

This is assuming each piece of software only gives one authorisation - that's not iLok's fault.

You can install on up to four computers at a time so long as you own them apparently. iLok is a pain. Firms like Native Instruments have a better system.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2017
    That seems pretty useful, most people don't have 4 computers so that's quite generous.

At the end of the day the biggest issue is single license installs - and for those an iLok is pretty useful.

Waves License Cloud, unless I'm not understanding it, requires you to upload your licenses from one computer to the cloud, before you can download them on another - theoretically meaning if you've forgotten to do this and are in a different location to your main computer your Waves plugs aren't authorised.

It's really up to the company to decide how many license installs to grant per purchase.  While multiple definitely suits me best, having a laptop and desktop, iLok is actually pretty convenient for the single license stuff.  
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    iLok is brilliant. I can carry all my auths between four locations and not have to worry about shitty challenge response.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    iLok is brilliant. I can carry all my auths between four locations and not have to worry about shitty challenge response.
    Until your iLok key breaks. I have my NI apps installed on two computers and if I need something in an emergency I can just use the online app to install what I need on another computer. Cubase uses a key and if it breaks you're screwed. Software companies need to get real and work out how people operate in the real world.

Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Until your iLok key breaks. I have my NI apps installed on two computers and if I need something in an emergency I can just use the online app to install what I need on another computer. Cubase uses a key and if it breaks you're screwed. Software companies need to get real and work out how people operate in the real world.
    Companies like ableton limit you to a certain number of unlocks. That's the thing that needs to go.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited August 2017
    I love iLok, provided the plugin maker gives at least 2 authorisations.
    Plenty don't, and there isn't necessarily uniformity across a single product line.
    For instance, a Slate Digital give multiple authorisations for all permanently owned plugins except Trigger and they only give one for a plugin subscription. So about half their products that I own cannot be used on my systems without remembering to move an iLok from computer to computer, which is irritating.

I've never had one break on me and now you don't need one to authorise, you can authorise a co outer via iLok protocol.

Waves are highly irritating for only giving one authorisation and despite having spent well over £3k with them over the years I've basically stopped using their plugins now because their sessions are not transportable between my studio Macs and my portable.

Challenge and response is fine for me too.
    Yeah the Waves one is fucking annoying. Having to move it from system to system, and actually having to deactivate on one machine before activating on another. Still.... they never used to offer that, so that's a plus at least!

I asked for an authorisation for my Ableton Live install on Monday.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Drew_TNBD said:
    This. I've had no problem with iLok and much prefer it to having to install various software managers for different companies. 

• I am looking forward to this I must admit.. Must get a free DAW to try it on....

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    edited August 2017
    I am looking forward to this I must admit.. Must get a free DAW to try it on....

That is a downside for me. Amplitube works as a standalone application and a VST. You get both when you buy it.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited August 2017
    Hang on, I assumed there would be a standalone mode?

I've not used L6 software for years but previous software had standalone, has it been confirmed that this won't?

Regardless if you have a DAW it's really not difficult to set up a template with a bunch of stuff for just playing.  Takes hardly any time to boot a project that doesn't have a load of .wavs in it.  I've got one with different channels that have different cabinet IRs on, some Auxes for delay and reverb plugins etc, and some midi for using as metronome.  Much more flexible than a standalone app
    Yes they've said no standalone at launch.
  • Fair enough.  It won't affect the majority of people anyway IMO
    The product's been discontinued .. according to GAK .. ;-)

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/helix-native-plug-in/905304

Helix Native is released next week.

The latest manual is out .. should be released this week ..

http://line6.com/support/manuals/helix-native

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Nice that they have included reaper in the quick start for DAWs and show screenshots through out.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    my nightmare job would be writing manuals