Jcm800 2203 is huge . Any downsizing suggestions ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
ive just been playing my jcm800 2203x into an 80's jcm800 4x12 cab .

i love these Amps , but I keep thinking they're just too powerful .

ive been thinking about downsizing again . Something with a similar quality and sound as a jcm800 but more practical.

anyone done the same thing ? Any suggestions ?!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I'd go for the combo version (often cheaper than a head) or get one of the jubilee mini head and a 2x12

Personally I don't think they are too powerful- you can turn it down and it's nice to know you can turn it up when you need to.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2077
    Not really sure there's an alternative that isn't a compromise in some way, to be honest. 

Ive been barking up that tree for years. 

Nothing really compares to an 800 wound up through a good cab. 

I did start using combos quute extensively, but now I'm playing in a heavier band, I've started using my 2203 and 2x12's again. 

One thing that I believe could get close is probably a Friedman Small Box combo. But again, mega bucks. Maybe Victory Sherriff. 

There's not really a substitute that I've found that really captures it. 

Depends how much you're looking to downsize as well. 

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Something smaller , lighter that I can turn up past 2 would do it !! 

How about something like the Friedman runt 20 or 50 ?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited August 2017
    Mini Jubilee if you want something from the current Marshall lineup. I've played it next to a 2203 half stack and it can hold its own though obviously not as loud. I actually prefer it to the full size Jubilee. To me the tone is like a boosted 800 that's not quite as raw sounding, and I like that the eq is pretty flexible. Better for heavier stuff if you don't like using pedals. Should get mine any time now!

I actually really like the DSL as well, just a shame the 40w is combo only. Through good speakers they sound great.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24165
    Helix 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTBZ said:
    Mini Jubilee if you want something from the current Marshall lineup. I've played it next to a 2203 half stack and it can hold its own though obviously not as loud. I actually prefer it to the full size Jubilee. To me the tone is like a boosted 800 that's not quite as raw sounding, and I like that the eq is pretty flexible. Better for heavier stuff if you don't like using pedals. Should get mine any time now!

I actually really like the DSL as well, just a shame the 40w is combo only. Through good speakers they sound great.
    Mini jubilee is a great idea , why didn't I think of that !
  • All together now.....

EVH 5150 iii!!!!!!!!!!!

50w. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited August 2017
    Mini jubilee is a great idea , why didn't I think of that !
    If you dont like it at first (I didnt), at least give it a chance and spend time on the eq. Just make sure you keep rhythm clip off, stay on the lead channel and don't get too enthusiastic with the treble/presence, around 3-4 for me. Gain, bass and mids at 6ish for  a fat rock sound. Some people say to keep the overall master high and use the lead channel volume to control your overall volume. Not sure if it makes much of a difference tbh.

The Premier Guitar and Session videos give a pretty good idea of the general tone. 

I'm going for a combo but only because I can get one for ridiculously cheap. Usually prefer heads but itll be nice to have everything in one manageable portable package.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7390
    Just get a good attenuator 
    Red ones are better. 
  • 8luesman8luesman Frets: 11
    As TimmyO said - what about the new Torpedo due out.  An attenuator, Cab Sim and DI all in one?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/two-notes-torpedo-captor-16/905655

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 745
    People keep banging on about those Jet City 20 watters. I'd really like to try one...
  • People keep banging on about those Jet City 20 watters. I'd really like to try one...
    Depends on the need of a clean sound I think. 

The 50w does have a bit more headroom. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    ive just been playing my jcm800 2203x into an 80's jcm800 4x12 cab .

i love these Amps , but I keep thinking they're just too powerful .

ive been thinking about downsizing again . Something with a similar quality and sound as a jcm800 but more practical.

anyone done the same thing ? Any suggestions ?!
    You love those amps dude. It's just a phase, it'll pass ;)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    People keep banging on about those Jet City 20 watters. I'd really like to try one...
    Depends on the need of a clean sound I think. 

The 50w does have a bit more headroom. 
    The 20 water had enough clean volume for me in a 5 piece rock covers band, the new version apparently has a better clean channel though.  They are good amps, and in the same ballpark as a JCM800, but you don't get the same thump as a big amp
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    TimmyO said:
    Just get a good attenuator 
    This. 

Its the only answer
  • 2204 :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Isn't there a rumour that Marshall may be making a 20W 2203? Something was allegedly 'coming soon', anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:
    Isn't there a rumour that Marshall may be making a 20W 2203? Something was allegedly 'coming soon', anyway...
    Whaaaat?!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    I'm sure @TTBZ mentioned that something may be coming which will answer some of the criticism of Marshall's current product range... I know he can't say what it is though :). I would really hope they've seen the success of the Mini Jubilee and that almost everyone thinks a Mini 2203 would be a good seller.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    I'm sure @TTBZ mentioned that something may be coming which will answer some of the criticism of Marshall's current product range... I know he can't say what it is though :). I would really hope they've seen the success of the Mini Jubilee and that almost everyone thinks a Mini 2203 would be a good seller.
    I'd be queuing up to buy 2!