Jcm800 2203 is huge . Any downsizing suggestions ?!

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Isn't there a rumour that Marshall may be making a 20W 2203? Something was allegedly 'coming soon', anyway...
    Whaaaat?!
    I'm sure @TTBZ mentioned that something may be coming which will answer some of the criticism of Marshall's current product range... I know he can't say what it is though :). I would really hope they've seen the success of the Mini Jubilee and that almost everyone thinks a Mini 2203 would be a good seller.
    If they do, and they don't fuck it up, their biggest problem will be building enough of them! 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Isn't there a rumour that Marshall may be making a 20W 2203? Something was allegedly 'coming soon', anyway...
    Whaaaat?!
    I'm sure @TTBZ mentioned that something may be coming which will answer some of the criticism of Marshall's current product range... I know he can't say what it is though :). I would really hope they've seen the success of the Mini Jubilee and that almost everyone thinks a Mini 2203 would be a good seller.
    If they do, and they don't fuck it up, their biggest problem will be building enough of them! 

Agreed they'd fly out of the door as fast as they could build them. We (well I at least) understand how @TTBZ is constrained by his being a Marshall employee but it's well known that they build a 20 watt version of a Plexi and gave it to Paul Gilbert to try - he loved it. I believe that my idle, uninformed speculation may the source of these rumours and I want to apologise if I've given anyone false expectations. That said I still think that in the fullness of time we'll see a 20 watt Plexi and a 20 watt JCM800 (not necessarily a 2203 though).
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24184
    TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    I just sold my last guitar cab.

FFS.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    Plectrum said:

Agreed they'd fly out of the door as fast as they could build them. We (well I at least) understand how @TTBZ is constrained by his being a Marshall employee but it's well known that they build a 20 watt version of a Plexi and gave it to Paul Gilbert to try - he loved it. I believe that my idle, uninformed speculation may the source of these rumours and I want to apologise if I've given anyone false expectations. That said I still think that in the fullness of time we'll see a 20 watt Plexi and a 20 watt JCM800 (not necessarily a 2203 though).
    It will be, if they do a mini JCM800 - the only other option would be the split-channel & reverb model, which is firstly not very popular nowadays, and secondly has too many knobs to fit the mini-head format :).

My personal preference would be a mini-2203, but in JMP styling. A mini-Plexi would be relatively easy to convert into a 2203 circuit anyway - Marshall themselves did in the 70s, both models were built on the same PCB.

I agree with everyone else that Marshall are crazy if they don't build both of them, to be honest. The only question would be the price - the Mini Jubilee did seem quite expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Agree that a 20W JCM would be cool.

Going back to OP's question... How about the 2204? 50W still too loud?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    TJT1979 said:

How about the 2204? 50W still too loud?
    It's the same size as the 2203, and very nearly the same weight and volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    You could always commission someone like @jpfamps to build a small box version of something similar sounding?

Red ones are better. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1957
    In The absence of an official Marshall offering then I'd say one of these is worth considering.
    http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 752
    People keep banging on about those Jet City 20 watters. I'd really like to try one...
    The more people suggest stuff, the more this seems like a really good shout to try before spending big bucks on anything else. There's even a version geared towards cleaner tones. I'm gonna try one as soon as I'm able. For £250 NEW it seems insane not to. 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    exocet said:
    In The absence of an official Marshall offering then I'd say one of these is worth considering.
    http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10
    Looks great !!
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Yep, I was gonna suggest the Ceriatone amps...they look awesome and not too expensive either.

If you want to go lighter and sans tubes but without negating power, then the Matrix VB800 could be a suggestion.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    exocet said:
    6v6? Yuck!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    get a Marshall 4010 combo - it's small, sounds good quiet, and fucking roars when you turn it up

• get a Marshall 4010 combo - it's small, sounds good quiet, and fucking roars when you turn it up
    Open back though and sounds boxy as hell. 
    Nice amp mind, but benefits from a extension cab. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    get a Marshall 4010 combo - it's small, sounds good quiet, and fucking roars when you turn it up
    I had one ! Great amps but not much of a downsize !
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited August 2017
    Again, try out a Mini Jubilee! Used mine at band last night and it sounded huge, would be even better through a good 4x12. Had the master at 7 so it could still go a bit louder if needed. If you're boosting your 800 anyway this just saves the hassle of pedals (imo).
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    I had one ! Great amps but not much of a downsize !
    it's about 1/4 of the size of a halfstack! :)

mine doesn;t sound boxy, it sounds frickin ace, all about the right speaker ;)

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    A more left-field suggestion would be a Zvex Box Of Rock into a Fender Princeton.
    TTBZ said:
    Again, try out a Mini Jubilee! Used mine at band last night and it sounded huge, would be even better through a good 4x12. Had the master at 7 so it could still go a bit louder if needed. If you're boosting your 800 anyway this just saves the hassle of pedals (imo).
    I'm really interested in these.Is it small enough to play at home??