Ricky basses, are they as bad as this guy suggests?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    ICBM said:
    lol

OK then…. mine's better than yours nah nah nah nah nah.

:)

I do like Precisions a lot too, but this is a thread about why Ricks aren't crap so get your own ;).
    My own thread or my own ric? ;)

I actually don't think they are crap - and I have actually played one (a walnut 4003 and it was really nice) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BTW - this is about the most lively bass related debate I've seen for years... normally bass discussion goes along the lines of 

"Yo, check out my new xxxxx bass"

"Cool man, I bet that grooves"

"Yeah, yeah it does"

"I've got a xxxxx bass - that grooves too"

"Nice man, yeah I bet that grooves too"

NOTE: Apart from MM Bongos. They are just bloody stupid.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Bridgehouse said:

I actually don't think they are crap - and I have actually played one (a walnut 4003 and it was really nice) 
    Both :).

I did sense a wind-up :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Both :).

I did sense a wind-up :D.
    I'd have a 70s 4001 if I could find a corker at some point in the future

I'm not sure if I need a Ric or a semi like a guild or harmony to fill out territory that the P can't do tho. 

And dont say Jazz - I just can't compute Jazz necks. 
    To be honest, probably a semi - Ricks and Ps aren't *that* different really, they're both punchy and midrangy. The Rick can do the deep neck-pickup thud, but so can a P with the tone control rolled down. The real difference is the cap on the 'bridge' pickup (which is really a middle pickup, like the P) on the vintage 4001.

70s 4001s also tend to have narrow necks - not as skinny as a Jazz, but significantly so compared to your P. If you want a Rick with a wider neck, you actually probably need a 4003 from around 2006 onwards - I had one of those before my '73, and the neck was a lot wider and slightly shallower.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

ICBM said:
    To be honest, probably a semi - Ricks and Ps aren't *that* different really, they're both punchy and midrangy. The Rick can do the deep neck-pickup thud, but so can a P with the tone control rolled down. The real difference is the cap on the 'bridge' pickup (which is really a middle pickup, like the P) on the vintage 4001.

70s 4001s also tend to have narrow necks - not as skinny as a Jazz, but significantly so compared to your P. If you want a Rick with a wider neck, you actually probably need a 4003 from around 2006 onwards - I had one of those before my '73, and the neck was a lot wider and slightly shallower.
    Yeah, I've been spoilt by those 1.75" P necks. Didn't realise the earlier Rics were narrower. 

Then again, I guess I'll have the same problem with a lot of early semis as well. I'd go for an Epi Rivoli but they are stupid slim nuts
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11410
    ICBM said:

Bork said:

When was the last time anyone saw someone slap on a Rickenbacker?  It sounds dreadful not only due to the electronics but also the string spacing.
    Slap sounds dreadful, period. Don't blame the bass ;).

Wisdom just for this.

What's worse is when you try and watch a bass demo on Youtube and some showoff spends the whole thing playing slap, and you have no idea how it would sound in the real world playing stuff you would actually play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:

Bork said:

When was the last time anyone saw someone slap on a Rickenbacker?  It sounds dreadful not only due to the electronics but also the string spacing.

Wisdom just for this.

What's worse is when you try and watch a bass demo on Youtube and some showoff spends the whole thing playing slap, and you have no idea how it would sound in the real world playing stuff you would actually play.
    I personally hate slap. Hate the sound, hate the proliferation on bass demos. I stop watching a demo if it starts with slap.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    FWIIW, I think that slap is a technique that is a *lot* removed from music.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:

Bork said:

Wisdom just for this.

I personally hate slap. Hate the sound, hate the proliferation on bass demos. I stop watching a demo if it starts with slap.
    Agree. But I wonder if that's because I'm crap at playing that style. It still sounds horrible though.
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    Slap sounds great when it's done with taste.  But the endless barrage of Mark King clones competing with each other at guitar shows does get tedious.

[This space for rent]

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited September 2017
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:

Bork said:

Slap sounds dreadful, period. Don't blame the bass .

Wisdom just for this.

Nontheless

• Mmm, chorus as well!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Controversially, and also predictably, I have to state, you don't need to apply any workarounds to a Precision. 

My 64 is stock, as it was when it left the factory 53 years ago, and it still does everything perfectly well with no signs of issues or wearing out. 

As is my '64 Ric.

(It is used/worn, of course...)
  • Mmm, chorus as well!
    Good enough for Barry Adamson.  ;)
    Be seeing you.
    prowla said:

As is my '64 Ric.

Does that have the solid aluminium tailpiece rather than the weaker alloy one?

• prowla said:
    Controversially, and also predictably, I have to state, you don't need to apply any workarounds to a Precision. 

My 64 is stock, as it was when it left the factory 53 years ago, and it still does everything perfectly well with no signs of issues or wearing out. 

As is my '64 Ric.

Ah now a pair of 64's would be a great little collection ;)