Ernies balls cobalt flats

any folks tried these yet?
recently bought a set of the picato flatwounds as a first try with flats and I must say I'm loving the feel and retro sounds on my p bass, but wondering if the cobalts might be a bit more versatile as apparently they are brighter and punchier than regular flats, so they say!

The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23965
    I've got a set. I like them a lot.

Very smooth, very bright - almost roundwound tone, but very reactive to the tone control to make it thumpy again.

Straight out the pack they feel odd - like a slightly grabby surface, presumably left over from manufacturing. But that goes after an hour or so playing.

Not cheap though - have to shop around for a good price.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Are they low or high tension?
  • I've got a set. I like them a lot.

Very smooth, very bright - almost roundwound tone, but very reactive to the tone control to make it thumpy again.

Straight out the pack they feel odd - like a slightly grabby surface, presumably left over from manufacturing. But that goes after an hour or so playing.

Not cheap though - have to shop around for a good price.
    Cheers for that. As @Bridgehouse  said, what's the tension like? When I bought the picato flats, I was advised to drop a gauge, so I got 40/95 but I reckon I would have been fine with 45/105. 

The Swamp City Shakers
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23965
    They are a little tighter than the same gauge rounds.

I play a 5 string and there's only 1 set for that anyway. Unless I wanted to make one up.
  • Picked up a set and had them on for about a week now.
    you are definitely right about that slightly grabby feel. Not off putting,but just not as slick feeling as the picato flats I had on there previously. The gap between the windings seems more pronounced than the picato's too. I wonder if that is a contributing factor to the grab.
    nicely balanced strings though and versatile enough for the cover material I'll be playing.
    The Swamp City Shakers