NEDD.

New Electronic Drumkit day.

I might end up regretting this but I plunked down a moderately obscene amount of money on a Roland TD50K drum kit as I need to do some recording for an upcoming project.

Like any electronic kit it is going to take some fiddling with to get it sounding right but it is definitely a step up from the TD30 I had.
Finally a proper ride cymbal and a proper side stick.
Toms are still a bit machine-gunny though.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 374
    Super cool. An electronic drum kit is high on my list of purchases, any comments on this one so far, apart from the toms.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited August 2017
    Super cool. An electronic drum kit is high on my list of purchases, any comments on this one so far, apart from the toms.
    Still early days so not really.
    It took me about a week of fucking around with the TD30 to get sounds I like but I'm highly picky about drum sounds.
    Ergonomics are better than before and the playability is better too.
    I'm not sure I dig Roland's approach with sounds but I have many plugin options to use instead, provided I can get the latency down to something acceptable.
  • For tracking why not bounce a .wav file of what ever you're tracking to then run a dedicated drum tracking project in high sample rate/low buffer to track the MIDI data, then import that into your normal session after. That's probably the lowest you'll get with latency anyway 
    For tracking why not bounce a .wav file of what ever you're tracking to then run a dedicated drum tracking project in high sample rate/low buffer to track the MIDI data, then import that into your normal session after. That's probably the lowest you'll get with latency anyway 
    I track at 96k as it is.
    I could go up to 192 but it would involve a lot of faffing about.
    I've spent the day designing some sounds and have it to a level where I can track with the stock sounds, sending out midi to the DAW which can then be used with Drummer or BFD.

I am set up here to record analog drums too, but midi is actually more flexible these days and the sounds are so good.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Theres always the option of adding tiny DIY piezos to all the analog cymbals and drums and using them to trigger midi sounds later.

Will be good to gig this in smaller venues.
    Theres always the option of adding tiny DIY piezos to all the analog cymbals and drums and using them to trigger midi sounds later.

Will be good to gig this in smaller venues.
    Yes but it is such a faff.
    I just want an thing I can walk up to, turn on, hit record and be tracking drums without annoying the neighbours.
    Ideally I'd like to be enjoying what I'm hearing whilst I am tracking drums too.
    The technology is coming along but it isn't quite there yet.

I might pick up a Mimic Pro when it lands in the UK.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    octatonic said:
    For tracking why not bounce a .wav file of what ever you're tracking to then run a dedicated drum tracking project in high sample rate/low buffer to track the MIDI data, then import that into your normal session after. That's probably the lowest you'll get with latency anyway 
    I track at 96k as it is.
    I've spent the day designing some sounds and have it to a level where I can track with the stock sounds, sending out midi to the DAW which can then be used with Drummer or BFD.

I am set up here to record analog drums too, but midi is actually more flexible these days and the sounds are so good.
    Couldn't you just trigger off the acoustic kit?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    doh didnt read the post directly above mine
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited August 2017
    octatonic said:
    I track at 96k as it is.

Couldn't you just trigger off the acoustic kit?
    doh didnt read the post directly above mine
    I've done that in the past- it doesn't work as well as an E kit- nuanced articulations such as drags and ruffs don't really translate properly.
    Wont help with getting midi out but I found these:

https://zildjian.com/gen16-overview

Made the ekit experience a lot more enjoyable to play. I managed to get a set of the classifieds here a couple of years back.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Wont help with getting midi out but I found these:

https://zildjian.com/gen16-overview

Made the ekit experience a lot more enjoyable to play. I managed to get a set of the classifieds here a couple of years back.

I have those already.
    I have another kit set up in the house that is a Yamaha Stage Custom with triple ply mesh pads and the Zildjian Gen 16 cymbals.
    I do most of practice on this kit.
    The TD50 is mostly for recording.
    Your house sounds awesome!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Your house sounds awesome!
    Ha- yeah it kinda is. :)