Squier Bullet Mustang

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
edited August 2017 in Guitar Reviews
Squier Bullet Mustang in Imperial  Blue 24" scale, Basswood body, Maple/Rosewood neck.

On unpacking a general look over reveals bloody good quality at the cost, neck pocket is tight, hardware is OK, Jazz Bass style knobs feel cheaper than the real thing, paint finish and colour is good, no sharp fret ends although when bending strings the frets are scratchy, slightly disappointing, the strings are a bit rusty, but in fairness they will be changed anyway.....the neck is paler than an anaemic albino, but it seems the norm for budget guitars nowadays, but the thin satin finish is well applied.
Out of the box the truss rod needed a tweak as the neck relief was about 50 thou, nut action could be a shade lower, but we are talking thous......string action is about 2mm and could come down a bit, intonation is spot on.
Tuners are a bit vague but once the strings were streched a couple of times, held the tuning well.
Plugged in the budget nature of this guitar shows through, the bridge pickup is best, nice and grungy for Nirvana stuff, the neck pickup is to me a bit boomy and muddy, which affects the both pickups on selection.....
So, I bought this on a whim, to mod and faff with and am not disappointed, its a £115 delivered, epic value, great for kids being short 24" scale.....
It will be modded!
JB and Jazz pickups in the secret cupboard along with recycling a set of locking tuners and a set of 10’s possibly 11’s.....oh, and a fret polish....

http://shop.fender.com/en-GB/squier-electric-guitars/mustang/bullet-mustang-hh/0311220587.html
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    I quite fancied one of these at one point to stick a set of P94's in as a project.  Saw one in the flesh though and it sort of put me off a bit...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    A bit Marmite I suppose, I like it.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

edited March 2018

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    paulnb57 said:
    Sorry didn't mean it that way, a lot to like actually in the spec for such a small amount of money.

I think it represents superb value for money.  I think in person it just didn't make me want to pick it up, so I guess subjectively at first sight I was disappointed.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Absolute bargain for that price
    They really are @duotone and a bit o fun!

• rossirossi Frets: 1698
    i stuck a cheap set of Donliss P94's in it and its great .Sweet little guitar  for a bluesey jazzy sound .I also put on a set of tuners I had spare which improved its stability .Might sell it as I want a nylon string something .
  • @paulnb57 ;

What made you decide on the JB/Jazz pickups? I'm thinking of modding mine a bit but not sure what direction to take. I definitely want something for that noisy punk rock / alt rock thing that these guitars tend to get associated with. 
    edited August 2017
    Simple answer @UnclePsychosis ;;;is I had them in the parts box! 
    The neck pickup is now out and it is an esquire Mustang with the JB at the bridge....
    I am going to have a custom scratchplate made but I am still trying to decide whether to put a single coil at the neck, in fairness the JB is a bit polite and will probably go....just not sure what to replace it with.....maybe a decent HB size P90

• I’m ordering a scratchplate for mine this week but with standard mustang type holes rather than HB’s.
    I’ve got a pair of cheapo covered singles to drop in until i can get a pair of mustang pups.
    might upgrade the electrics too at the same time.
    Look forward to seeing it! I've seriously considered getting another to mod, the short scale is great!

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    Looks great with a torty plate

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017
    Ooo yes it does, next one will be black with Tort...where did you get the plate @jonnyburgo ;

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    paulnb57 said:
    Ooo yes it does, next one will be black with Tort...where did you get the plate @jonnyburgo ;
    Not mine! Do want one though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 383
    edited October 2017

Single coils and 3ply scratchplate now fitted.
    https://postimg.org/image/kqcb1r75r/
    https://postimg.org/image/79fcivhen/
    so total mods to mine have been: new scratchplate and single coils, Gibson lp switch,larger sized pots and a .022uf russian PIO capacitor.
    its now kindof a hybrid mustang - duosonic.
    Its cost around an extra hundred quid on top which i’ve done bit by bit so not really noticed the extra spend.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrokeGroke Frets: 3
    Bit of a hijack but I have a JB to replace the bridge pickup on my son's Bullet Mustang. The JB has five wires and the Stang pickup 2. Im guessing extra wires for coil tapping? Not going to coil tap so which wires do I use? I can solder, just want to get it right first time! Many thanks.
    All Seymour Duncan humbuckers with four-conductor hookup wires incorporate a standard wire color code. For standard series humbucking operation on a 4-Conductor wired humbucker the White & Red wires are soldered together and taped; Green is ground and Black is Hot Output. The bare wire is always grounded.