The Rock Project

What's Hot
JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436

As part of my plan to get playing again, and especially to get out playing with other people, I came across this.

I've put my name down for the first session, which is a free taster, but the whole thing costs £240.  So - does anyone have any knowledge/experience of this?  Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    The free taster session is a good idea. Twenty quid per lesson/run-through session is very reasonable. 

I suspect that the tuition will be aimed at beginner-to-intermediate players and those ready to make the move from bedroom to rehearsal room but lacking the confidence in their own abilities. As a "recovering" player, you may find some of the session(s) a bit slow for you.
    Be seeing you.
  • Yeah, go for it. 
    £20 is a good price depending you get a benefit from it, my only experience if group lessons as a student was at college, as long as you are somewhere in the middle ability wise it's great. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richyleerichylee Frets: 15
    I am a guitar tutor for Rock project Telford. We teach ages 7-18, I joined this year and I am very happy with the level of players i have ranging from beginner to intermediate levels. As a whole Rock project put students in a great environment to learn by putting them in a lesson and then a live session. It's great fun as a tutor. 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I looked into this thing quite a lot - it's a franchise thing and there's a couple of them running not far from me, and I applied as a tutor last year but didn't get in as I couldn't commit immediately. The organisation was a bit odd/all over the place, but actually it seems to be up and running well now, and they have some very good tutors. Probably well worth a look  =)

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    @Funkfingers - I think you've actually summed me up pretty well.  I'd like to think I'm more intermediate than beginner (until you ask me to play solos - then all bets are off  =))

Anyway, nothing to lose by going along to the taster session.  I've sent in my list of song suggestions, so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers, folks!

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    @Funkfingers - I think you've actually summed me up pretty well. 
    All that I summed up was the likely format of the tuition on offer.
    I'd like to think I'm more intermediate than beginner (until you ask me to play solos - then all bets are off  =))

In my opinion, it is good that you have a realistic perspective on your abilities as they are today. 
    nothing to lose by going along to the taster session. we'll see how it goes.
    Worst case scenario, the tuition is pitched at a level that presents no challenges to you. In that eventuality, mingle with others at the session. Exchange telephone numbers. Start something elsewhere.
    Be seeing you.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I know people who teach the younger classes on one of these courses, and I've actually filled in one on occasion.

It's a good idea - but with eight to ten-year-olds it doesn't necessarily work in practice. The teenage students were better equipped to learn, and I assume the adult one would be a great way of getting back into playing.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited November 2017
    I've done a few weeks of the adult version in my hometown now, it's a bit of fun and it's great to meet people to play with, which I really needed, and we're jamming "off-curriculum" now.

Its challenge is it's neither a great lesson nor a great jam, but an OK bit of both - and the standard of playing varies too so tough for the teacher. Can be a bit rushed, one minute you're strumming thru the chords with someone who's only been playing a month, next moment you're up in front of a full amplified band trying to remember the tune and stay in time with the (competent) drummers!

No idea if it has long term legs but it's fun for now.

They've not asked us to pay up front.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited November 2017
    I ran a Guitar Club locally for a U3A group of up to 12 members who floated week by week for an 8 week duration. This was free to them (U3A membership has a annual membership fee though across all activities) and I did not get paid to run them but I hoped to pick up some private on-going clients.

The group were enthusiastic and of mixed ability and styles and co-ordinating these 2 hour sessions was challenging and certainly allowed me to craft my 'front of house'/audience interaction skills.

They bloody loved it - especially the woman who had spent all her guitar playing years writing hundreds of songs - all in the key of G cos that was the only chord she knew!

http://i60.tinypic.com/f4fi48.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Bucket said:
    I know people who teach the younger classes on one of these courses, and I've actually filled in one on occasion.

It's a good idea - but with eight to ten-year-olds it doesn't necessarily work in practice. The teenage students were better equipped to learn, and I assume the adult one would be a great way of getting back into playing.

I too have depped as a teacher for rock project and found much the same thing.

There's an emphasis on playing live with other musicians from the get go - which is a great principle. What happens with the young kids in practice is that you have to try to coach them to get through the "Plug 'n' Play" session where they play this week's song live and to do so you have to just get them playing the bass note of the chord or something just so they can get through the song, rather than spending time helping with technique etc.

• richylee said:
    I am a guitar tutor for Rock project Telford. We teach ages 7-18, I joined this year and I am very happy with the level of players i have ranging from beginner to intermediate levels. As a whole Rock project put students in a great environment to learn by putting them in a lesson and then a live session. It's great fun as a tutor. 

My daughter attends this (drums) and thoroughly enjoys it. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• My son (13) plays bass and because most kids want to learn guitar or drums he pretty much gets a 1 to 1 every week. He loves it and I think it is a marvellous idea and great way to get kids involved in music
  • pmbomb said:
    I've done a few weeks of the adult version in my hometown now, it's a bit of fun and it's great to meet people to play with, which I really needed, and we're jamming "off-curriculum" now.

Its challenge is it's neither a great lesson nor a great jam, but an OK bit of both - and the standard of playing varies too so tough for the teacher. Can be a bit rushed, one minute you're strumming thru the chords with someone who's only been playing a month, next moment you're up in front of a full amplified band trying to remember the tune and stay in time with the (competent) drummers!

No idea if it has long term legs but it's fun for now.

They've not asked us to pay up front.
    So, I'm seven weeks in, and I think that sums it up pretty well.  Realistically, if you want proper lessons focusing on technique, you'll need to find a tutor and get some one-to-ones.  There are too many in the group (we actually have two guitar groups, there are that many of us) to become properly tight, band-wise - but that's not what it's about.  It's really about playing together with other people.  And having fun, which it undoubtedly is.  In my 'Introduce Yourself' thread, I said that my main goal at the moment was to be able to get up and bash out a few tunes - which is exactly where this will end up.  (Granted, we'll probably be woefully under-rehearsed, but so what?)  I'm learning songs which I wouldn't have thought of doing - and that can't be a bad thing.  (They might have picked just one of my suggestion, though. ;) )

pmbomb said:
    2 hours mixed ability group lesson is a tough job, well done.
    Our tutors are doing three 90-minute session in the day - first the juniors, then the seniors, then us lot - so fair play to them.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    I used to run one
    ... and ...?
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    Because of my previous association. If anyone’s got any questions they csn PM me
    edited December 2017
    anyone here doing the Surrey 'gig' in Cranleigh this afternoon? I'll be the nervous one attempting the Californication solo, Santa Claus t-shirt.
  • So, my gig last night as well.  Overall, not too bad for the first time playing in public - but couldn't hear myself at all for the first song.  Somehow got it in my head that I was playing one of the chords a semitone flat, so had the choice of (a) carrying on and potentially making us all sound shit, (b) 'correcting' myself and potentially making us all sound shit, or (c) stopping.  Chose option (c), unfortunately.  Other two songs went OK, I think.  Hoping to get my hands on some video.

How was it for you, @pmbomb ?

edited March 2018
    hey @Jonathangus ;;sorry we didn't cross tracks. We're from *********  and did Californication and Hand in my Pocket. Pocket was a bit average but we made a good fist of Cali and I got the solo, with a nice cheer at the end. big boost.

what did you do?

my first ever time playing to an audience, great experience. 

I reckon everyone sounded better than they thought they did. the people doing Vertigo rocked, and the singers at the end doing Fairytale of NY were great - and whoever did the solo on Since You Been Gone.

My big takeaway was that the audience are on our side and value fun and performance over being note perfect.

It's a buzz to look up and see people smiling, singing and clapping along. Must be doing something right then! Compliments from the crowd were nice too.

(me in the Santa hat).

https://youtu.be/tw0WcYOUZP0