Travis Orbin (drummer)

What's Hot
What a beast.  Newest Darkest Hour Album is great.  Check it out, recorded with Kurt Ballou, lot of energy and vibe.

Playthrough of several tracks from latest album.  Love the beat at around 27 seconds.

Some older Darkest Hour stuff.  Need to go find my Undoing Ruin CD (IIRC Devin Townsend produced the album).

Guy was in an earlier incarnation of Periphery too.  Some awesome ghost notes and kick work in this track.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I loved undoing ruin . I really liked that it started and finished in the same way so you could put it on repeat and it'd loop seamlessly.
    Will check out their new on. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Yeah I love that too. It was one of my favourite metal albums at the time and the songs are still good.

I've listened to the new album loads. Love the vibe. It's like you're sat in the middle of their rehearsal room and they're just killing it
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Guy can clearly play but I don't like that style of drumming at all, his split rolls between hands and feet rocked though. I'd love to hear him playing something less busy /  groovier with more space in the arrangement for more creative fills.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation is th one for me. The instrumental track towards the end is incredible

• Guy can clearly play but I don't like that style of drumming at all, his split rolls between hands and feet rocked though. I'd love to hear him playing something less busy /  groovier with more space in the arrangement for more creative fills.
    Plenty of varied stuff on his YouTube channel.  He's a session drummer so plays on all kinds of stuff.  I just really enjoy watching virtuoso metal drumming, it's way more exciting to me than watching someone play a shred solo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation is th one for me. The instrumental track towards the end is incredible

Yeah great track, also a good album by DH.

It's the opener on that album that gets me.  That's why I love this new album so much, feels much more like the high energy style that got me in to the band in the first place.  

• Guy can clearly play but I don't like that style of drumming at all, his split rolls between hands and feet rocked though. I'd love to hear him playing something less busy /  groovier with more space in the arrangement for more creative fills.
    Plenty of varied stuff on his YouTube channel.  He's a session drummer so plays on all kinds of stuff.  I just really enjoy watching virtuoso metal drumming, it's way more exciting to me than watching someone play a shred solo
    Me too but there are a couple of things  that turn me off a bit, one is blast beats (or other excessive snare usage) the other is harder to put my finger in but there's a tendency for a lot of good new drummers to kind of emulate or sound like a programmed drum track ( Matt Halpern is a good example) which to me kind of kills the groove and point of having a real drummer.
    I'm more a fan of guys like Danny Carey, Bran Daillor and Martin Lopez.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Ah I love blast beats and 200bpm metal.

Black Dahlia Murder, Decapitated etc. 

I've pretty much listened to the latest Decapitated and Darkest Hour albums on repeat for the past few weeks. 
  • I'd rather be able to do this than to play sweep arpeggios.

• Ah I love blast beats and 200bpm metal.

Black Dahlia Murder, Decapitated etc. 

I've pretty much listened to the latest Decapitated and Darkest Hour albums on repeat for the past few weeks. 
    Decapitated have a track on this month's nail the mix btw. I signed up for the emmure month as there was an offer for 9 dollars and still haven't got round to cancelling even though I haven't completed any of the mixes yet 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Cool. I'm still recording my own band's stuff at the minute, I'd like to tackle NTM once I'm done but right now I wouldn't have the time for it