Roasted Maple

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
in Made in the UK tFB Trader

I put a reply up about roasted maple necks a couple of days ago, when asked the same question as this posting. I would always recommend a finish on roasted maple necks and fingerboards, also on solid rosewood necks. I use the word sticky on my last comment, that's most likely a bit of an overstatement. Basically, what can happen with raw wood, it will seem really smooth but, a little bit of dampness on it (hot sweaty hands) and it will cease to be  smooth. What this means in real terms, your playing guitar, hand moves up and down the back of the neck no problem. Then you start sweating a little bit, and you suddenly find your hand doesn't move up the back of the neck so easily. This obviously doesn't happen to everyone, I do not have sweaty hands so I can happily play a raw neck without any real problems. I would doubt if many guitars are sold with raw wood on the neck, there is most likely always some kind of finish on it.

Obviously if you're buying necks for building a partcaster then the roasted maple could well be unfinished. I recommend to all my customers buying roasted maple necks, they should apply an oil finish to the back of the neck. I always apply an oil finish to roasted maple fingerboard's before I fret them. I'm finding I'm selling more roasted maple necks than ever before, they seem to be the in thing at the moment. The Roasted Maple I use is actually European Maple, all the stock I have at the present time is highly rippled (I was going to say flamed but!! ) as per @damm73 neck. Roasted maple is very easy to work, it machines easily, very easy to get a good finish on it. It's a very stable wood, never had a neck bow or twist, and it's got beautiful aroma "Caramel".

Here are some photos of some roasted maple necks I've made recently.

Sorry the LPJ is sold.

This is what raw wood looks like.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Pmd 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    This is relevant to my interests so thank for posting re finishing 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Prices for a fat tele or strat neck?
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    These look incredible!
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    Those pics aren't helping my "build yer own " feeling I'm having. Keep looking at the parts for sale section and wondering. 

Those roasted maple and the rosewood necks look sublime. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Chalky said:
    Same question Graham but how much for a big fat Jazzmaster neck in roasted maple ? 22nd fret on an overhang, 9.5" rad board, biggest frets you can crow bar into it ? ;-)
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    can I buy blank necks from you Graham as I'm not sure what I want to do yet
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • HysterHyster Frets: 208
    These do look nice, I'd be interested in a price for a strat neck too.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    You know that blue cap that you've been looking for, for the last two weeks? It's under the sofa. Right near the front.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    can I buy blank necks from you Graham as I'm not sure what I want to do yet
    I don't sell wood unless it's been turned into something, but you can buy roasted maple neck blanks from DD.

You know that blue cap that you've been looking for, for the last two weeks? It's under the sofa. Right near the front.
    What the F**K are you talking about ????????????????????????????????

All my roasted maple necks are £220 unless you have a ebony fingerboard, then its plus £15.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    GSPBASSES said:

I guess that's why you haven't found it. OK, check the first picture... ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Philtre said:
    GSPBASSES said:

I guess that's why you haven't found it. OK, check the first picture... ;-)

I see what you are talking about . Interestingly, I haven't got a clue what it was and it's disappeared, obviously got borrowers living under my settee. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

I have a problem with roasted maple, I'm asthmatic, this has never caused a problem in the workshop before apart from working with MOP crown inlays on a ebony fingerboard. It now seems I have become allergic to roasted maple, that's a bit odd as I've been using this wood for at least 2 years, never having issue it before. I have a Jazzmaster on order with a roasted maple neck and fingerboard, that I've not been able to work on for about a 2 week. I have a new type of dust mask coming tomorrow that I hope will resolve the problem. Unfortunately, sometimes allergies might not be through the dust, but just by touching the wood or whatever it is. If the new face masks helps that will be good, but if it dose not then that will be the end of roasted maple in my work shop. If it dose help then I may invest in one of these face masks that have their own air filter system that blows fresh air into the face mask.  Unfortunately, these masks cost a fortune, so it may be a case of stop using roasted maple sell off the part built and finished necks and move on. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    That's really interesting, @GSPBASSES. I wouldn't have guessed that roasting a piece of maple would change it's allergic properties. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27590
    It'll be changing the oils in the wood at the very least - might also make the dust different.

I have one of the Trend Airshield masks - it's nice in that it blows cool air across your face and protects too, but it's a bit heavy and awkward - the weight is all at the top.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    I had a similar thing when I used to do car body repairs, I was fine with the filler for a few years then my arms would get some sort of rash, it must be a long term thing that the body doesn't like, it was the filler dust causing it

Hope you get it sorted out anyway
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    You tend to find allergies  to some woods build up over time.   You can be fine for years, then suddenly you get a reaction every time you are exposed to it.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    You tend to find allergies  to some woods build up over time.   You can be fine for years, then suddenly you get a reaction every time you are exposed to it.

I have an allergy to mahogany ... I got that by building mahogany based guitars since a teenager ... I have to be careful these days as I wheeze and sneeze like a dying man! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    It's rosewood that does it for me. Not all but now and again I'll be sanding a fretboard and it will set me off.
  • Do you sell these roasted maple necks? I'm after one for a Strat