Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fretboard Jams - the future - calling all North and South residents!

What's Hot

Comments

• I think we should draw the line at people from Croydon. If we carry on down that road, people from places like Hull or Bolton will think they're invited.
    Bet you're from Byker ;)
    Croydon actually...I just escaped to Byker, drawn by the appeal of Geoffs mighty beard...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    I like the idea of meeting more of you sweaty beasts. North would be the shortest (!) drive for me but in reality for most of you, your North is very much my South!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 227
    Blackjack said:
    I would like to be considered for the Sarf one.  I am not very good though so if somebody who is a better player came along and wanted the place then that's fine, I would understand.
    I am about 20-30 mins from Croydon but happy to drive within reason.
    These jams are all about beginners and people without live experience - if anything you'd take priority over an experienced player ;)
    Aw thank you! I am a struggling beginner right now, got so far but not played much really this year what with loosing my dad and stuff but this would be a great incentive to get playing again, something to work towards! Thank you so much! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Leeds is the obvious central choice, although it's still south north if you catch my drift. It's funny that both the suggested towns are only a couple of hours-ish from Leicester - the geographical net could maybe be spread a bit more widely? Although I guess you can't please all the people all the time.  I could put my hands on a drummer (ooh-er!) and a decent multi-room practice studio with a stage however if it was in Newcastle. Depends if you want to attract any Scottish interest or whether there is a plan for a separate Scots event. Would have thought Newcastle is likely to attract a few but Leeds is that bit too far. Are there any members here that actually live in/around Leeds and know any potential venues?
  • Leeds is the obvious central choice, although it's still south north if you catch my drift. It's funny that both the suggested towns are only a couple of hours-ish from Leicester - the geographical net could maybe be spread a bit more widely? Although I guess you can't please all the people all the time.  I could put my hands on a drummer (ooh-er!) and a decent multi-room practice studio with a stage however if it was in Newcastle. Depends if you want to attract any Scottish interest or whether there is a plan for a separate Scots event. Would have thought Newcastle is likely to attract a few but Leeds is that bit too far. Are there any members here that actually live in/around Leeds and know any potential venues?
    As you know, I'm local to you but also Huddersfield part of the time. I don't know anywhere in Leeds but have access to a couple of really good venues in and around Hudds, which is only 20 minutes West of Leeds and also brings the mancs closer. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Leeds is the obvious central choice, although it's still south north if you catch my drift. It's funny that both the suggested towns are only a couple of hours-ish from Leicester - the geographical net could maybe be spread a bit more widely? Although I guess you can't please all the people all the time.  I could put my hands on a drummer (ooh-er!) and a decent multi-room practice studio with a stage however if it was in Newcastle. Depends if you want to attract any Scottish interest or whether there is a plan for a separate Scots event. Would have thought Newcastle is likely to attract a few but Leeds is that bit too far. Are there any members here that actually live in/around Leeds and know any potential venues?
    I've done these things before (for previous lifecycles of 'the' forum) and it's less about geographic centre than more of a population-weighted centre of people who intend to come (and you learn to spot the 'well it depends when and where and if the wind is westerly and well maybe' and not be too swayed by where they are ;-)

Also, imho it's not a great idea to do it somewhere 'central to everyone' but where nobody is on hand to help with arrangements/last minute issues. 

the only reason for the historical SwinJam location is because after much faffing (I stress this was many years ago on a different iteration of the community) I said I'd arrange it all but if I was going to do that I'd find venue/curry house/accommodation close to me. Enough people were fine with it so SwinJams 1-3 happened, plus 2 GearJams and one of the Gas-Fests 

I always prefered organising the ones where 20 were definitely coming, rather than when 50 might be.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Right. Leicester Jam all done and dusted. 

Broadly, I'd say it was a fab day (others may agree or disagree!)
    As a formula, for a big day to work I think it needs the following:

- At least 2 rooms - and pref. big.
    - A solid house band rhythm section (Drums, Bass, Keys)
    - Vocalists (!)
    - A running order that everyone has plenty of time to practice

We squeezed a good number of songs into the time - we started at 11.50 and the last song finished at 17.25 - there were 3 15 min breaks. 

So if there's enough interest, I reckon a North and South Jam are a definite go-er - given the above statements, I'd aim for January for South and May for North. 

Leicester attendees please do feel free to chip in (!).

South - location, venue, house band and vocalist volunteers?
    North - ditto - location, venue, house band and vocalist volunteers?

I'm more than happy for a willing volunteer to come forward for each one to do local organising - I'm happy to come down and spread the volunteering load - and of course to do house bass. 
  • Broadly, I'd say it was a fab day (others may agree or disagree!)
    Thoroughly agree here - great day.

I'd commend coming to one of these to any player, environment was supportive and much fun was had.

It's lovely to meet the forumites as well - really friendly bunch, despite having to sit through some of my performances! :)

Thanks again @Bridgehouse ;

BTW - we sneakily added a third room thanks to it being quiet and that was really helpful, it actually became the "jam" room, there was also the "bro hangs" room and a "live" room, so you probably sort of need three?

The rhythm section were fantastic all day.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Broadly, I'd say it was a fab day (others may agree or disagree!)
    Thoroughly agree here - great day.

I'd commend coming to one of these to any player, environment was supportive and much fun was had.

It's lovely to meet the forumites as well - really friendly bunch, despite having to sit through some of my performances! :)

Thanks again @Bridgehouse ;

BTW - we sneakily added a third room thanks to it being quiet and that was really helpful, it actually became the "jam" room, there was also the "bro hangs" room and a "live" room, so you probably sort of need three?

The rhythm section were fantastic all day.
    I'd agree with 3 rooms if we have as many as we had today (!) I counted 28 at peak (some came late, some went early)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    I'd agree with the three room setup, the "house band" room had a good structure with a set of proper songs, the free form jam room was a good place to spend much more time learning to play/jam songs with other people (I spent two hours in there drumming and guitaring with others- though it would have been better if we had a few song sheets of simple jam songs chord sequences), and the hangout room was kit demos and chatting. I'd have happily payed more if needed- £8 for the day was a bargain!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I would be happy to help out with a southern one if I can be of use.  My knowledge is fairly small but my enthusiasm and willingness is large! I am organised and have a car so if I can be of help please feel free to shout! 
    I can play basic stuff and manage some vocals without too much trouble. 
  • Happy to help out with a Northern effort if we settle on Manchester as a location. 
  • PabloPablo Frets: 38
    I'm just sticking my name down for the Southern jam as I had great time and was made to feel very welcome even though I didn't play. In fact I'd be happy to go to Leicester again unless there's a desire to limit repeat offenders visitors to give other people a chance.
  • Just my 2pc, but, as a first timer,  I found the third jam room really helpful to get a feel for playing my songs with others, and destressing before playing in the main room. It really helps to have someone who can play drums, but that's probably all that is needed as we used our own amps.
  • TADodger said:
    Just my 2pc, but, as a first timer,  I found the third jam room really helpful to get a feel for playing my songs with others, and destressing before playing in the main room. It really helps to have someone who can play drums, but that's probably all that is needed as we used our own amps.
    That's a really good point - bring a praccy amp to the jam!

Mine carked out when I plugged it in (sodding thing) and it made my day unnecessarily difficult.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • Count me in for the southern one - not sure about the northern one yet, though.

Anything I can do to help, just let me know :)
    <space for hire>
  • I'm happy to go to all of them, I like driving (you probably noticed that!) 

I'm happy to provide vocals for anything and would have done more yesterday if there'd been more copies of words printed out. Maybe in future justprint everything just in case? 

Of course, having heard me wail, you might decide that I don't need more ammo...or a mic, ever again! ;)

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Northern one would be great. I'd have come to the Leicester day but I had a full day of PA hire booked. I'm near Hull and could easily sort a venue there but it's too far East. Somewhere like Leeds or York are pretty accessible I would have thought from r trains and motorways giving a a lot of range for people within a two hour radius. If I'm not already gigging I'll happily provide a PA if necessary to open up more venues and I'm happy to play bass for a bunch of tunes. Also happy that bring some modelling and real amps if anyone wanted to do some comparisons.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Count me in for a Northern one if it happens.

I'm based up in Tyne and Wear, so Newcastle would be perfect. More than willing to travel to Leeds/York, possibly Manchester at a push. Also up to Edinburgh or something like that would be doable.

I'll watch with interest how this develops! 
  • Thanks for all the replies folks - and the very fine offers of help - all gratefully received.

For the North Jam Mk 1, I'm swaying towards the Leeds/Huddersfield area to capture as many as possible - a local volunteer for liaison etc would be most welcome.. 

I am also tempted to see if we could get a Mk 2 going as well, probably Newcastle or even further up. 

I would be happy to do the majority of the Mk 1 jam, including running the day (no mean feat!) but the Mk 2 might be a bit out of range for me - anyone up for organising (I'll help of course)

For South, well, it's a big place... and very, um, wide so I think there's scope to investigate an eastern one, and a Swindon one too - @TimmyO  could you kick off a Swindon one and I'll rope @Blackjack into seeing how possible an Eastern one could be (Sort of Kent/Essex way)

Thoughts?