Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking about bassing - comments/advice/etc invited.

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd prefer to spend <£500 on the guitar, which would probably just about allow a self-build if @GSPBasses had anything hidden under a pile of cobwebs in a dusty corner ...
    My 52P GSPBASSES green machine came in at under 500 notes all up fighting weight.

Knowing your current stable it might be the best bet for you ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    equalsql said:
    Hmmmm, there's a J version - a *5* string J version just up the road ... collection only too.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited September 2017
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

• TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

Personally, I wouldn't - but you can't argue with the price!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    The J is prettier than the P, but the Stingray is the best bass
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    The J is prettier than the P, but the Stingray is the best bass
    Prettier? With all that offset nonsense going on? After Leo had already perfected the design? 

PFFT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    edited September 2017
    You appear set on 5 string. If you're just starting out I'd go with 4 (and stay there). Does it have to be long scale? I use a Gibson SG bass and I'm very happy with it; coming from guitar it might be a good halfway house.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

Nope.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader
    @TTony I do indeed have lots of bass bodies and necks gathering dust. I have some part built P bass bodies that could easily have the J pickup routed, a couple necks to go with them part build. I have several Jazz bass bodies, I think there is only one neck, that is a B grade nothing wrong with it apart from the binding has got some funny marks on the top of it. I also have Ricky part built. If you remember the pink one I made about four months ago this is its twin except the pickups are not routed yet still work to do to the neck, which has an ebony fingerboard. I also have a four string Stingray, the neck is not finished yet . If I remember correctly it's Maple / Maple. I also think I have two five String stingray  bodies nearly finished. I think one neck is finished and ones part finished these are also both Maple / Maple. Not sure if I've got any Warwick bodies and necks left in the workshop. its a while since I've made any of them. I also have a small boded Jazz bass with a 24 fret neck that only half built. They might even be Flying V Bass somewhere in the workshop half built.

I may well be able to supply a fair bit of hardware to go with the bodies and necks. I certainly have a large range of four and five string bridges in stock. And if you're interested in a five string bass I have a complete set of active Seymour Duncan Jazz bass pickups with the active circuit to go with them. I also have lots of EMG active circuits in stock, which will be heavily discounted as will all the above necks and bodies.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

PM'd you ;)
    TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

octatonic said:
    TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

Nope.
    Messages received and understood - thanks.
  • Carl Thompson six string fretless "Rainbow" bass - as used by Les Claypool. ;) 

Be seeing you.
  • I think I smell a @GSPBASSES build thread coming soon..
    Well, I did finish my last contract on Thursday ...

But I've got a long backlog of house jobs, and a bit of gardening to do (as in a full time job for the next 3 months)  and a cabinet making course to finish, and I told GSP that there was "no great rush", so breaths shouldn't be held just yet ....
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited September 2017
    Any reason you want to start with a 5?
    95% of music out there is comfortably played on a 4 string. 5s are also heavier.

Nothing wrong with a budget P bass until you decide to upgrade. J's have smaller necks but sound a bit cleaner and nasal (on the bridge) than Ps, they work for funk and driven indie tones but a P has a better basic tone for typical rock music.

Then again if you listen to some Sade and your mind is blown by Paul Denman (1993 concert dvd recommended) get a Sterling Ray 34 or a US Sub.
    Reason for a 5?
    Nothng other than I thought it might be 25% more useful than a 4-string ;).  Slightly more seriously, I thought the extra low end would make it bassier and give me more to learn.

Im currently leaning toward a P that I could easily "amend" with an extra p'up.

Or perhaps a 5er.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    TTony said:
    TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

octatonic said:
    TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

Nope.
    I was trying to be subtle...
  • octatonic said:
    TTony said:
    TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

octatonic said:
    TTony said:
    ESP Ltd for £120 ??

Nope.
    I was trying to be subtle...
    In that case I was positively cryptic...

• TTony said:
    Reason for a 5?
    Nothng other than I thought it might be 25% more useful than a 4-string ;).  Slightly more seriously, I thought the extra low end would make it bassier and give me more to learn.

Or perhaps a 5er.
    5s are more about playing across the board rather than along the length - and less about extra low end. 

Go for a 4 - you really won't be missing out on very much at all
  • TTony said:
    Reason for a 5?

Or perhaps a 5er.
    I got a 5 string for the extra low notes but in fact I very rarely use them. I also find that making sure that all the unplayed strings are muted when playing fingerstyle is a lot more tricky on a 5 string.
    It's not a competition.