Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

J45 / slope-shoulder alternatives?

What's Hot
So I've got my Taylor up for sale as I have a hankering for a J45 and fancy a change, but don't need two acoustics at all.

I've played a few J45s over the years, including an amazing vintage one from 1950, and generally loved all of them. There was a cheap(er) offering from Tanglewood too that seemed to stand up well against it's more expensive brethren, but what else should I look at in the <£2k range other than a Gibson J45 itself? I'm more than happy to go used, but want to stick with the combination of mahogany back/sides and the shorter scale.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Atkin version of the J45 would be worth looking at.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4767
    edited September 2017
    Brook have a model called the Tavy which is similar (but nicer tone) than my L-shape L'Arrivee. It's sort of J45-ish. I'd have bought one if I'd had the dosh. Lovely strummer, nice enough fingerpicker. Not short scale though, if that's a showstopper. 
  • The Atkin SJ (super jumbo, but not really that big) might also fit the bill. Oasis in Ringwood had a very nice one a few months ago and may still have it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, will add the Atkins to my list though chances are I'll go for something cheaper unless I find a deal on one!
  • Sloped 12 fret dread by Larrivée blew away everything of that type in the shop a few years ago including a Huss * Dalton (sp?) that was much more expensive. I'm a OM / Jumbo guy but that Larry would have been mine had I needed a guitar.
    We discussed theyre sloped dreads and 12 fretters on here a while back - anyone remember the model that so impressed me ?.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    There always seem to be used J-45s around - should be able to get one for much less than RRP 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @TimmyO - yep, that's what I'll likely end up doing; this is just to see if there's something else that's worth a look otherwise.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72231
    If you fancy a J-35 - which is essentially a blonde J-45 with a 40s-style headstock decal and 'mother of hairbrush' pickguard - I'm selling one, in almost-new condition. There is the slight problem that I'm not prepared to ship it and it's in Scotland, but if you can think of a way of getting it down there you can have it for a grand...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Eastman E10SS! 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Nah! Get the real thing! Buy my lovely one that already has all the vintage trappings and none of the heartache.  ;)
  • camf said:
    Nah! Get the real thing! Buy my lovely one that already has all the vintage trappings and none of the heartache.  ;)
    Probably would if my Taylor had sold already! You sure you don't fancy a trade? ;)
    Lovely guitar but I've decided acoustic guitars are wasted on me. 
  • Haha fair enough! They pretty much are on me too, but I know I'm always going to have one so it may as well be something closer to what my head hears!

@CamF - remind me again, what's the neck profile like on yours please? I remember trying a similar year one that had a lovely V profile.
    It feels more like a soft D to me, than a V but I can check when I get home at the weekend. It's very playable and you will immidiately look like a serious songwriter.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I have an Atkin J45 in the classifieds at the mo. Tis lush. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • @Trude - looks lovely but I'm really after a 'hog backed model, plus my Taylor has to sell first anyways!
  • Bluesman1989Bluesman1989 Frets: 66
    edited September 2017
    Have you checked out the Eggle Kanuga? Also TAMCO in Brighton have a nice selection of acoustics. More than likely a Hog backed slope shoulder in there somewhere. Maybe a Bourgeois if you could find one cheapish?

• kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    I'd rather get a used Guild Orpheum than J45
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    edited October 2017
    check out James Millman in Bideford, i have recently purchased his j45 style guitar  adirondack/walnut  it is a superb sounding guitar, 

https://www.facebook.com/millmanguitars/?timeline_context_item_type=intro_card_work&timeline_context_item_source=706577941&pnref=lhc